Guest Phyl

Hi -

I am introducing myself as a new member. I am currently receiving treatment for my OCD and am thinking of joining a support group. It is great to find this website because although I am aware that OCD is not uncommon, it is nice to get confirmation that there are others out there. My OCD primarily takes the form of counting although I do have repetitive behaviour patterns and quirks that can be very annoying. I only really "came out of the closet" this year despite suffering from this from childhood so I am still learning as I go along. I would welcome any feedback.

Thanks

Phyl

Guest twoshoes

Hi Phyl

Welcome :thumbup:

I have found this site really useful, lots of support and good advice. Everybody understands and when you are fighting the OCD it can be great to sound off to people who have experienced the same difficulties.

i would love to join a support group but sometimes have trouble leaving the house espcially when i am going somewhere new so I lean on this site.

You mention that you are having treatment...CBT? or something else. How's it going?

Take care

twoshoes

Hi Phyl and welcome to the board.

Like you, I have only recently admitted that I need help and this website has been brilliant. Everyone is really supportive and understanding. It's good to know that there wil be people on the board who understand how you're feeling.

Best of luck with the treatment and support group.

Sian :grin:

I only really "came out of the closet" this year despite suffering from this from childhood so I am still learning as I go along.

Hi Phyl and welcome :)

Yes, it takes a lot of courage to 'come out of the closet' :) . In my experience it is not an all or nothing thing and many years on, I'm still at the point where some people know about my OCD and some don't. Sometimes I'm simply not brave enough to tell people (and I get embarrassed :thumbup: ) and sometimes I just don't think people will understand which I find frustrating.

As you rightly say, it's a case of learnig as we go along, and I think that's a very positive attitude to adopt.

Glad you've found us

Catherine :)

Guest Miss_Flippin_Mental
I only really "came out of the closet" this year despite suffering from this from childhood so I am still learning as I go along.

Yes, it takes a lot of courage to 'come out of the closet' :) . In my experience it is not an all or nothing thing and many years on, I'm still at the point where some people know about my OCD and some don't. Sometimes I'm simply not brave enough to tell people (and I get embarrassed :lol: ) and sometimes I just don't think people will understand which I find frustrating.

As you rightly say, it's a case of learnig as we go along, and I think that's a very positive attitude to adopt.

Glad you've found us

27945[/snapback]

Hi all I only just joined this forum yesterday, I have been suffering with this ocd for 4 years, since a bike crash, although I think I was abit of a checker back in 94 too, But at the time I thought it was normal checking things 100 times and had never heard of OCD. But after crash my dr diganosed my behaviour. :thumbup: :help:

Yes, it takes a lot of courage to 'come out of the closet' :) . In my experience it is not an all or nothing thing and many years on, I'm still at the point where some people know about my OCD and some don't. Sometimes I'm simply not brave enough to tell people (and I get embarrassed :( ) and sometimes I just don't think people will understand which I find frustrating.

Glad you've found us

27945[/snapback]

Catherine,

Thanks for the support. I am working with a therapist and using a CBT system based on the reasearch of Jeffrey Schwartz. The book is called Brain Lock. I am finding it ehlpful for some of the repitive behaviours but not so far the counting. It is amazing, looking at the board, just how many people are suffering from OCD.

Phyl :(

Guest Dragonfruit

Hi Phyl

Just wanted to say "welcome" and "glad you found us"!

The board has been a huge source of support for me - and I hope it will be for you too!

:thumbup:

Guest summerleft

Hi phyl

I only came to this site 2 weeks ago its helped me immensly to know that theres loads of ppl in the same predicament.

I hope you find it as useful as i have i f i feel a bit low and am struggling with the 4 steps i come here and feel instantly better :thumbup:

I am working with a therapist and using a CBT system based on the reasearch of Jeffrey Schwartz. The book is called Brain Lock.

:thumbup: this is the approach supported by ocduk and you may have noted that Jeffrey Schwartz is one of our medical advisors. I know lots of people who have used the book as a practical guide in overcoming compulsions, although as you say, Phyl, sometimes one particular compulsion or ritual (in your case the counting) remains a stubborn fixture. But hey, who ever said OCD was straightforward :hug: !!

Catherine :D

Hi Phyl

Just wanted to say "welcome" and "glad you found us"!

The board has been a huge source of support for me - and I hope it will be for you too!

:thumbup:

28199[/snapback]

The forum is wonderful and a real source of help, thankyou for the replies and support. Does anyone else find they have related insomnia with the OCD? I am never sure whether I just suffer from plain old insomnia or if it is in some way linked to the OCD.

Also it would be nice if there was a proper documentary on television about OCD as I have never seen one and I think it would be helpful to educate people who know nothing about the condition and think the worst.

:lol2: