Crass OCD Comments

Guest Wombat142

If you couldn't make jokes about people with OCD, this forum wouldn't have much business!

I think the really offensive thing is when people act as if somebody having OCD was really funny in itself... "tee hee, fancy anyone being stupid enough to keep doing that!" Sorry if you've been getting a bit of that, Legend. They'll get tired of it soon.

As for the people who describe themselves as "a bit OCD", well, if there are still so many people around who think that makes some kind of sense, then we need to keep making a noise.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Louby

yeh i agree nizz,

"Psychoanalytically, obsessive-compulsive neurosis is interpreted as a defense against aggressive and/or sexual impulses" - that doesnt sound quite right to me, i may be wrong but from that it sounds like they are saying OCD is a way of controlling the impulses!? but i thought that people with OCD are the least likely sort to do something like that because the problem isnt an impulse disorder but an anxiety one?

it also says OCD is treated with antideppressants but doesnt mention all the other medication options that are also used. there are other bits that i also think are abit ambiguous hmmm????

Oh Gosh what a thread!

I think that it was very good of you to post the links to those articles from newspapers and so on, Ashley, I had my mouth gaping at some of the incredibly crass comments made.

When I first told people about my fears of contamination and obssessions about vomiting I was laughed at and not taken seriously at all. This was by my parents, by some of my teachers and once or twice people of my age. I thought that I was being stupid, and beat myself up for 'being pathetic and an actress' (Thanks Dad).

In my opinion, it is just as someone said earlier, it's all funny until the people laughing are affected themselves.

People are often cruel and will find any reason to get a cheap laugh, and I'm not just talking about comedians here. When prolific comedians/journalists etc, start making these comments it filters down into the population in general and they start believing that it is acceptable to start spouting these inconsiderate comments themselves, with no idea what they are saying and the hurt they are causing.

I think that without suffering from it themselves or having someone close to them suffering from it, people just cannot seem to be anything more than vaguely sympathetic because they just do not understand the full extent of the disorder. Until I was officially diagnosed with OCD in february I had barely any idea of what OCD was really about as unfortunately all I had ever heard about it was that it meant you were either really tidy and had to have things 'just so', or that you were very clean. Finding the reason for my worries and seeing just how awful this illness can be (I myself was suicidal at times) has made me truely ashamed of ever saying 'That's a bit OCD'. It breaks my heart if I'm honest and I sincerely hope that no-one with the disorder ever heard me.

I think that the lack of even talking about mental health as a whole at schools is appalling as I never knew anything much about panic/depression/OCD until I was hit in the face with it and wish that I at least had a little background knowledge as to what was happening to me.

OCD ruins lives and I think that joking about it, when instigated by a sufferer or done in a very considerate way is fine, but unfounded 'statistics' and cruel/ignorant comments are not to be tolerated.

Sorry if this is rambly and incoherant, but this has touched a nerve!

Rosie x

Guest Wombat142

I think the bit Louby mentioned on that webpage is just for information - a description of an out-of-date theory. I think the psycho-analytical view actually was that people with OCD did compulsions as a replacement for something bad they subconsciously wanted to do. But psycho-analysis said that about nearly everything. They do make it fairly clear that that theory has now been discarded. I agree that some other bits of the webpage are rather vague, though.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dazed

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You will have read in The Times this week that doctors are developing new ways to spot the early signs of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder so that they can treat patients before they morph into fully fledged lightbulb-licking towel-tidiers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, put like that it’s all completely understandable. I suppose we’ll get some extreme OCD sufferer, who wet-wipes the soles of his shoes 444 times a day and believes that his wife will die if he doesn’t see three women wearing red anoraks before noon, saying that what Sir Gerald has isn’t OCD, it’s called “being a bit unimaginative with your breakfast”. But I say “rubbish”. OCD is on the rise and we know this because everyone, absolutely everyone, now claims to have it. Haven’t you noticed?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Carol Midgley, the Times

I can't believe anyone would say that. I can't BELIEVE it. And what's worse that someone actually thought there was nothing wrong with that comment and PUBLISHED it. How DARE she. She has no idea what it is like. It's like being a prisoner inside your own head. Does she think it's a CHOICE. That you can suddenly go "You know what this is getting a bit annoying now so I think I'll just stop now."? Well I can't I wish to God I could but I can't. I feel like a complete freak most of the time because of it and insensitive comments like that which get read and laughed at do not help. And that's what the tone is. To make fun of people who have OCD and laugh at them. So thanks lady for making me feel like even more of a freak then I usually do. Laugh it up.

Guest dazed

And I'd like to add something with out sounding over emotional that I know I do sound in my comment above.

Comedy has always presented taboo subjects and pushed the discussion about them in a form that everyone can understand. I know that, and if one particular comedian does a skit about a subject that I don't find funny then I have the choice to not listen and I think that's something special that we should never lose.

However as someone said earlier in this post I think there's a difference between that and people who try to pass off these stereotypes as a fact and perpetuate the image. That's just lazy and ignorant. Whether they care or not people will read their comments and believe what they say. It's not fair on the people who have this disorder or any disorder.

• 2 weeks later...

This was spotted by one of our management team in the Telegraph on Saturday. A story with the headline Obsessive Hedge-Cutting Disorder, clearly a play on words from OCD.

post-1-011911300 1281371138_thumb.jpg

Whilst the story itself is not an issue, the headline belittles and trivialises the seriousness of OCD itself, and could very much give the wrong impression to an unknowledgeable audience, or are we over-reacting with this one?

• 1 month later...

Grrrr just saw an interview with David Mitchell where he said something along the lines of 'on wikipedia I was said to have OCD which is a bit overstated. It undermines the pain of those that genuinely keep their wee in labelled jars.'

What?!How can he say that for goodness sake!

Grrrr just saw an interview with David Mitchell where he said something along the lines of 'on wikipedia I was said to have OCD which is a bit overstated. It undermines the pain of those that genuinely keep their wee in labelled jars.'

No pun intended but David Mitchell is surely totally taking the p***. To the mother of a 15 year old in an adolescent unit, such comments are incredibly insulting! Would David Mitchell have self diagnosed himself with HIV or cancer and then stated it was a bit overstated making such insensitive comments, I don't think so! Thank goodness OCD-UK have plans to raise awareness with the raise awareness week next year!

Guest orange socks

it is an interesting thread this is (and my apologies for not reading all of it )

i'm a bit weird and odd - so apologies in advance - massive apologies in advance - but i really do find humour in everything (for some strange reason i even thought it amusing and was cracking jokes when i had a heart attack - strange but true!!!) - and am really very likely to laugh at ocd jokes and comments and the truth be known am probably going to be the one cracking them .

i think its because i use humour to deal with things - my view you either laugh or cry - so i choose to laugh.

that said i can see the other side of the argument and can understand how people get offended and upset and how the charity has a responsibility to challenge and bring up these issues

so i really can see both sides - it would be terribly sad if anyone put off seeking help because of jokes cracked etc ( i'm not convinced that this happens ???? but if it did it would be very sad)

so yeh - i do see both sides - like i say though i choose to find humour in things to help me cope - but also feel for those offended

i read a comment somewhere in the thread - not sure where ??? when you pay for tickets or watch some people you know their style and should really expect some banter (if it offends dont go or dont watch )

i'm waffeling now - summary - i laugh at most things to be honest - but feel saddened for those who havent learnt to laugh yet , and i can see that the charity is acting responsibly and well in challenging things when they hurt people

(hope my post hasn't offended anyone - never meant to - just airing my own thoughts - which are a bit odd i know :) - i do suffer very badly with ocd -unbelievably badly - hope my post hasnt offended xxxxxxxx)

Edited by orange socks
  • 2 months later...

I am not sure if this is 'crass', but I think it is another example of the media trivialising OCD, I think. Taken from the Telegraph about a golfer in contention for the BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

The welts on Graeme McDowell’s arms are the result of a temporary obsessive/compulsive disorder. He can’t stop pinching himself.

When he looks in the mirror he is not convinced that the bloke looking back is the US Open Champion and the golfer who won the Ryder Cup for Europe. Big things like that rarely call out to the boy next door.

• 4 weeks later...

No pun intended but David Mitchell is surely totally taking the p***. To the mother of a 15 year old in an adolescent unit, such comments are incredibly insulting! Would David Mitchell have self diagnosed himself with HIV or cancer and then stated it was a bit overstated making such insensitive comments, I don't think so! Thank goodness OCD-UK have plans to raise awareness with the raise awareness week next year!

I don't think he was taking the mickey, isn't he just quoting a scene from the film 'The Aviator'? Which is about that film director who did genuinely have severe OCD. I can't remember the scene exactly, it's been a while (a few months) since I watched it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I was thinking about this the other day.

Now if people want to take the p** out of ocd that's fine with me. I watch a lot of offensive comedy and I can't complain when they talk about ocd.

The problem though is it may create a stigma.

But then again so might a lot of things so we're back to square one.

Perhaps it depends where it is.

On a programme that might influence a lot of people perhaps go careful.

But on a Frankie boyle dvd perhaps let it go.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think he was taking the mickey, isn't he just quoting a scene from the film 'The Aviator'? Which is about that film director who did genuinely have severe OCD. I can't remember the scene exactly, it's been a while (a few months) since I watched it.

I think you're right, he ended with a room full of jars/bottles of wee. That is extreme but it does happen.i found the scene quite shocking. I suspect David Mitchell had seen that and it stuck with him as a possible symptom of OCD.

• 6 months later...

Type 'OCD' in to Twitter. Some of the tweets that come up will really annoy you, as they've really annoyed me. The ignorance of some is unbelievable.

Oh dear - Woman's Own - I thought you would do better.

"I'm OCD just like Vanessa" of Eastenders fame.

How can you be OCD? Can you be a disorder? And the article - is more about other plotlines and other things about her, but no - OCD is in the headline - how fashionable!!

Edited by whitebeam

Continuing a bit of a rant:

Q: Do you share any of Vanessa's OCD tendencies?

A: I like my surfaces neat and tidy, and can't leave the house without making the bed.........er..hello??

She does add (I think to her credit) But everyone's like that aren't they?

• 1 month later...
Guest Suite Pea

I have the double whammy: OCD jokes and tourettes jokes! (I have both). I can't escape from the crass media comments! I try to challenge these perceptions whenever I can, but it drives me mad when people go "I'm so OCD about [x]". You're not OCD about it, you just like a bit of routine!

I can't think of a specific media portrayal, but I do remember reading in The Times that David Beckham apparently has OCD because he likes to line up his pepsi cans. And apparently Kylie Minogue has OCD because she can't bear to hear coat hangers hitting each other. To which I respond: "FIE!" (and other, ruder things).

Guest legend

hi suite pea. i was a tourettes sufferer but it got easier as i got older, and as im sure you no only 5% of sufferers actually only swear....but unless your

aware of the full monty of tourettes, they seem to keep associating it with the copracsallia side of tourettes .....and like ocd its not just about washing hands and checking doors..... theres much more than that

ocduk is running an awareness week from monday for 7 days to make/ or try to make people aware of how serious ocd is.

on my face-book page someone joked ... the ocduk awareness placard isnt straight.... i responded "nor is your knowledge of ocd!! "

legend

• 5 months later...
It may look like chaos, but I know where everything is in my music room, and I’m always happy here composing on my little piano or writing new lyrics. All the notes are ideas for songs I’m working on – I’ve never used a computer. This is my filing system and it works perfectly for me. I don’t even let the housekeeper in here in case she moves things around. You could say I have a slight case of OCD, but I don’t see that as a problem.

Songwriter and former chart-topper Gilbert O'Sullivan commenting in a Mail interview. Sadly for those of us with OCD, we do find our OCD a problem, so another example of people in the public spotlight trivilialinsg OCD