Punctuality

Guest lilyelspeth

Guest lilyelspeth

Hi! Hope everyone is doing as well as they can be at the moment. I was just wondering, does anybody else here obsess about being on time? I do and it is one of my biggest concerns. I am very preoccupied with organising things according to time and how long each activity takes (I even calculate my sleep first thing when I awake.) :hug:

My psychiatrist says it is because of my overwhelming need to have control. For example, if I am even 10 minutes late for something, I have a panic attack, even when being late for that particular event is ok. As much as I hated school, I was always 30 minutes early...

Guest napo100383

i tend to be a bit like this but my friends are late for everything i mean everything so when im meant to meet them i force myself to be late but i still always manage to be on time,,

I dont get panic attacks about it but i do like to be on time

I always have to be early for everything as I too panic about being late. If I have to be up at a certain time I have to set 2 alarm clocks otherwise I can't sleep for fear of waking up late :hug:

Guest ScottOCDid

Hi,

I went through a phase of needing to be on time.

These days, I'm just obsessed with time (or lack of) itself. The control thing certainly rings true - I sometimes have to fend off irritability when people phone and I'm not "ready" to take a call. I can also find it difficult to work to other people's social arrangements because I've already allocated that portion of my week to 10 other things!

Also, if I've got one hour spare, I always set myself 2 hours of activities :(

Speaking of which, I've been working too hard recently and I'm shattered. So I'm going to wrap things up for an early night.

Take care all.

Scott

:lol: :hug:

Hi :)

I am terrible with time....but not in the same way you are :)

I am ALWAYS late and hate it...no matter how early I start to 'get ready' to do or go anywhere I never make it on time :)

I take forever fiddling around, checking and putting off starting whatever I'm going to do that, much to my family's dispair, I can't make the time (even if I add on 1-2 hours) !!!

I'm useless :(

Guest Memeplex
Hi! Hope everyone is doing as well as they can be at the moment. I was just wondering, does anybody else here obsess about being on time? I do and it is one of my biggest concerns. I am very preoccupied with organising things according to time and how long each activity takes (I even calculate my sleep first thing when I awake.)  :(

My psychiatrist says it is because of my overwhelming need to have control. For example, if I am even 10 minutes late for something, I have a panic attack, even when being late for that particular event is ok. As much as I hated school, I was always 30 minutes early...

28076[/snapback]

I tend to only obsess about being late if it's for an occasion that I feel matters, or where I'm embarrassed not to be on time. If I'm late in these situations I get very stressed. But at other times it doesn't bother me. But I know someone who has OCD who has exactly this symptom.

I am ALWAYS late and hate it...no matter how early I start to 'get ready' to do or go anywhere I never make it on time :(

28135[/snapback]

This used to be me :) by the time I'd made sure I was really clean and checked things round the house and driven back up and down a lane to make sure I hadn't hit someone........I was always late for appointments and often 1 - 2 hours late for work (I eventually lost my job, but I have to say I wasn't coping with it when I finally got there :) )

However, things are now much better. Generally if I have an appointment or have arranged to meet someone, I can make the right time and once or twice I've even been early :lol2: .

Sorry, I can't remember if you're having treatment or not, but it was definitely the treatment I received that helped me. I have far fewer obsessions and when I do have them they are much less intrusive, thus I can do things in a reasonable time.

So things really can and do get better :) .

Take care

whitebeam

hi, i also have a thing about being on time, if i'm late i get annoyed with myself for being late :) so wen i'm going out i have to work out how long the journey will take me and at what time i have to leave, i also don't like it when people say they will be round at a certain time and they are late, but i think that is because of my feelings towards lateness :( does anyone else feel like this ?

all my luv :)xx

Hi! Hope everyone is doing as well as they can be at the moment. I was just wondering, does anybody else here obsess about being on time? I do and it is one of my biggest concerns. I am very preoccupied with organising things according to time and how long each activity takes (I even calculate my sleep first thing when I awake.)  :)

28076[/snapback]

Hi lilyelspeth!

One of my biggest OCD things is time - and like you I am preoccupied with organising stuff according to time and how long it will take me to do etc (and you're not the only one who calculates how much sleep they've had when they wake up, either :( )

A case in point - yesterday I left the house in plenty of time to get to college, but there was areally bad traffic hold up in town which made me 10 minutes late - and all the time I was in the car, I was constantly checking the clock and feeling the panic rise inside me that I was gonna be late. It was horrid. I can also relate to the school thing - like you I hated it with a passion, but still somehow always got there way too early... :)

Love Queenie

p.s iam dyslexic and have trouble writing what i need to say

28178[/snapback]

Hi brandi,

First off, welcome :( ; glad you've found the board and hope you will find it helpful.

Secondly - no problems with your post - it's fine :)

Take care

whitebeam

Guest Rustynut
p.s iam dyslexic and have trouble writing what i need to say

28178[/snapback]

Hi brandi,

First off, welcome :( ; glad you've found the board and hope you will find it helpful.

Secondly - no problems with your post - it's fine :)

Take care

whitebeam

28183[/snapback]

I'm allways late for everything - allways have been even without the ocd Shocking Iknow but I just cant seem to help it!

Guest Dragonfruit
On my way to university right now and I just thought I'd stop by and say thanks! Don't want to be late!  :D

28192[/snapback]

:hug:

I do this too - I'm constantly watching the clock when I'm on my way anywhere - even if I know I have at least an hour to get to somewhere 5 miles away!

If I know I have to get up at a certain (earlier-than-usual) time I don't sleep the night before for fear of not being up in time. Not interntionally - I just can't relax enough to actually sleep - I just lie in bed watching the clock! Which is why whenever I do get anywhere I had to be up early for, I always look absolutely terrible!!

I was meeting my fiance at the airport once and although his plane didn't land until about 16:00 I was at the arrivals gate at about 11:00!! :thumbup::)

You've hit the nail on the head with this one :omg: time is one of my most common OCD symptoms and the control it has over me!! and the control I want... i think... or something like that :hug:

I'm late every day for work and I have been for the past 10 years, it's only by a couple of minutes but I am always late, never early, luckily I've worked for myself freelancing for the past 5 years so no-one can sack me :D

It does rules my life though and i'm always clock watching, I'm very punctual for everything, and I hate being late and get panicky, also if other people are late it really annoy's me :thumbup:

I'm often late. I think I try to fit too much into the time available.

I know I should, but I don't like to get ready the night before.

I like to do it all in the morning, and I'm not at my best then.

Procrastination, definitely! :thumbup: Drives everyone crazy.

I have noticed that my father is pretty bad with this too. Family joke is don't ask him for a lift to the airport. (Missed flights have happened more than once).

Never realised it could be OCD, I doubt if the has ever heard of it.

BW

Traze