just been hypnotisized...yah!

Guest twoshoes

Guest twoshoes

just been for my first session of clinical hypnotherapy. (i know hypnotised isn't spelt hypnotisized but check school of rock)

Anyhow...I feel fab, i was so aprehensive but the guy was great and I know I still have to put the work in but I feel that this may work for me better than CBT alone.

I know it's expensive and as yet I haven't had any real results but for the way I feel right know I would pay double.

Restart CBT in 6 weeks and by then I hope to be "Safe, calm, relaxed, confident" when I am, I will be a stronger person to face CBT

Hi twoshoes,

I've never been hypnotised before although I have often thought about it.

Sounds like you really enjoyed it. Long may the good feelings last for you..

Good luck with it. Nice to see you being so positive about it. Let us know how it's going for you! :(

Patsy x

Guest twoshoes
I'm absolutely made up that it's helping :D

I have often considered it, but never plucked up the courage to go ahead with it. Too fearful of what might come out :(

Well done, you deserve a break :)

28218[/snapback]

I don't know that it would work for everybody, i don't even know if it will work for me?

But!

I was really frightened and did loads of research on the web about it and came away even more uncertain. Some professional associations seem only to want their members to pay a joining fee and hardly any vetting :omg: So I went to see my GP who was fab and recommended a local guy. he works out of 1 office abovea shop and he doesn't advertise no sign on the door.

i still felt aprehensive and he spent nearly an hour chatting to me about about the therapy and OCD. He knew about OCD and CBT. he understood how I felt and was prepared to answer any ?'s i had, even really silly ones.

He reassured me that you cannot be made to do things against your will under hypnosis. Stage hypnotist have a series of tests worked into their act to find people who are suggestable but you couldn't get mrs Prim to strip whereas a naturist would do it at the drop of a hat. (they don't do the striptease at stage shows anymore, outlawed, the venue could lose it's license)

Anyhow, he did the relaxation and then I started to have an anxeity attack but it passed i felt great but not at all out of control. I felt conscious of everything, the way my boots dug into my heel, a blip in the music and him moving in his chair. i kept smiling and laughing because I felt silly and like i was pretending. I never felt "out of it" he bought round and asked me how long I felt I had been sitting there, i lied and said about 10 minutes it felt like around 5 but i wanted to humour him (worong I know) he asked me if I could remember what time it was when I sat down, I looked at the clock and realised i had been sitting there for nearly 40 mins. Thats when I knew it had worked.

He gave me a tape to play at home, it is a receording of the hypnosis he did with me in the office, He will rerecord this every time so the treatment will move on.

Like I say I don't know if it's going to work but I will expect the best,

Take care

Twoshoes

Restart CBT in 6 weeks and by then I hope to be "Safe, calm, relaxed, confident" when I am, I will be a stronger person to face CBT

28099[/snapback]

I am so glad you wrote this Mrs Twoshoes. I don't think it is a stand alone solution for OCD, however I do agree that it can help someone face the difficult CBT.

Good luck.

Guest twoshoes

Oh no. i do believe whole heartedly that CBT is the best way to beat OCD.

I was at a point where the anxiety that accompanied facing the OCD was unbearable. I was a complete wreck and all I wanted to do was give in I would rather have OCD than the panic attacks etc. As a result i was not doing what was asked of me.

I spoke to the CBT therapist about medication and he said that this would take the edge off the anxiety so I could be more effective in CBT. I HATE taking tablets, I barely eat and drink somedays for fear of contamination, the idea of having to take a tablet every day terrifies me, I also feared that with my mood swings and doubt that having a number of tablets in the house may result in a nasty accident. I do things over and over to make sure they are done I feel I may take a tablet too many times just to be sure :omg:

My GP also pointed out that it would take a number of weeks before the medication started to work to its best effect and that it could take a number of tries before they find the right medication. he wasn't trying to put me off but he wanted to be sure that I wouldn't think that meds are instant.

The hypnotherapist explianed that I would feel better after 3 sessions and within 6 sessions I would find a marked difference. he couldn't say how big a difference but anything is better than nothing or getting worse.

I spoke to both my CBT therapist and my GP before seeking out a Hypnotherapist, and the hypnotherapist is well qualified and understands about OCD.

I am not promoting hypnotherapy as a OCD cure all i just wanted to share how I felt.

Sorry.

Twoshoes

I am not promoting hypnotherapy as a OCD cure all i just wanted to share how I felt. 

Sorry.

28339[/snapback]

Hiya, No need to be sorry at all :(

Your post was well written and did not come across that you were promoting one or the other :D