Sign in to follow this  
Guest Learning2bCalm

Reading Self Help stuff......

Guest Learning2bCalm

Hi there!

In trying to 'get off' my recent topic for obsessing.....i have started looking up advice and articles re ocd. The usual pattern is that i'll read them, feel better and let the subject go....until it crops up again.

Question is, is reading stuff to do with self help also a compulsion? I mean i don't just read it, i start to put it into practice and things pick up within a day usually.......but tonight i almost thought i should say 'tomorrow, NO ruminating on your 'subject' and NO reading self help either. Get on and live without either!'

what do you think?

thanks for listening

Hi there!

In trying to 'get off' my recent topic for obsessing.....i have started looking up advice and articles re ocd.  The usual pattern is that i'll read them, feel better and let the subject go....until it crops up again.

Question is, is reading stuff to do with self help also a compulsion?  I mean i don't just read it, i start to put it into practice and things pick up within a day usually.......but tonight i almost thought i should say 'tomorrow, NO ruminating on your 'subject' and NO reading self help either.  Get on and live without either!'

what do you think?

thanks for listening

28412[/snapback]

Hi L2BC,reading self help information is not obsessing,if you feel you are constantly reading or looking up self help info 24/7 then it could be a problem.

There is nothing wrong with reading or rereading some information and using it and putting it into practice and if it is early stages of you you putting the self help into practice,then there is nothing wrong with rereading the self help info to remind yourself of how to apply the techniques,or remind yourself the thoughts are just the ocd.

It is clear that you have determination to beat this :) ,but you dont have to stop reading self help information or stop using it unless it starts to interfere with your life,and becomes a problem.

Keep trying out and practicing the techniques!!!!!To me,in my opinion and im not a medical expert ,as long as your not reading it 24/7 theres nothing wrong with reading and using the techniques found in the books.Its a positive thing, that you are practicing the techniques!!!Try not to worry!!!!!Take care.Stay strong!!!

Love ittykxxx :)

Guest Learning2bCalm

Thanks Ittyk!

no, i don't read them for very long at all, it doesn't usually take long before i start to realise what i have to do to stop the ruminating.......and then i leave them alone. So i guess i'm not using them as a compulsion.

That makes the start of tomorrow a little easier then. I will start the day with my self help info, to get myself on the right tracks.

thanks again!

Thanks Ittyk!

no, i don't read them for very long at all, it doesn't usually take long before i start to realise what i have to do to stop the ruminating.......and then i leave them alone.  So i guess i'm not using them as a compulsion.

That makes the start of tomorrow a little easier then.  I will start the day with my self help info, to get myself on the right tracks.

thanks again!

28416[/snapback]

no problem!! :lol: and your doing great :) ,good idea to start the day with some self help info to keep you on track!!!!!!! :) Take care.

Love ittykxx :)