Kick some OCD Butt

Right, who's going to set some goals and share their experiences of kicking some OCD butt this week?

Let's have a fight back and share some positive news of how you challenged your OCD. It's always better when you make a positive commitment and have some friendly support to spur you on.

I'm hoping for some encouraging reports by next Saturday....get cracking gang :boxing:

Caramoole

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Elliex

1) I'm going to ask mum to make an appointment to go and see my GP and then get this diagnosed properly.

2) I am going to do the 15 minute rule (like you said) or maybe less but still delay the rituals.

3) I will share my feelings rather than keeping them in.

xx

Well that's a pretty good start for 2am in the morning, good on ya :lol:

They're good goals guys....let's see how we do....we're all here to support when the going gets tough, so share and let's carve a notch on our belts by this time next week.

I'm going to ask mum to make an appointment to go and see my GP and then get this diagnosed properly.

Well done you....that's a really positive move and really is stamping the "I'm in charge here" label on your OCD :thumbup:

smile more

That's interesting Chippy....I was reading something in the paper today by a Professor of Psychology who has set some experiment about lifting the nations spirits. One thing he encouraged was for everyone to smile a fixed smile for 15 seconds, twice a day. It has an even more beneficial effect if you smile at someone else, as it becomes infective...so get smiling :a1_cheesygrin:

Interestingly, the Dog Whisperer reckons that if you hold a timid dogs tail up (which is a confident pose dog-wise) it increases a dogs confidence automatically...so maybe there's something in it.

Talking of dogs....another thing he said to increase happiness, is stroking a dog.....so find a pooch to stroke!

Caramoole :)

Guest chippy

When I'm feeling down my mum always says "grab one of the cats and have a cuddle"

I think it's a stress reliever stroking a pet and one of my cats licks tears off my face when I cry

Saves loads on tissues

Hmmmm. Maybe I should start going to different barber. I asked my current barber about his sexual lifestyle... and he said he is faithful and he doesn't have commercial sex. I know its a reassurance... and I'm guilty about it. I Fear HIV the most and someone mentioning about this illnes makes me faint sometime. I think I should take of what people say here "LEAP OF FAITH" and take some manageable risks in life a little bit more. Well normal people dont asks their barber about their riks factor... right????

vic xxxx

hi caramoole,i posted some of my progress on page 8 of my thread,although noone gave me any feedback on it.I would like some encouragement on that progress if possible...Ive also just posted some progress.

Right, who's going to set some goals and share their experiences of kicking some OCD butt this week?

Let's have a fight back and share some positive news of how you challenged your OCD. It's always better when you make a positive commitment and have some friendly support to spur you on.

I'm hoping for some encouraging reports by next Saturday....get cracking gang :boxing:

Caramoole

Edited by cat1
hi caramoole,i posted some of my progress on page 8 of my thread,although noone gave me any feedback on it.I would like some encouragement on that progress if possible...Ive also just posted some progress.

I think you are missing the point Cat. It is not about us saying 'Well done Cat', Caramoole is posting the thread for people to challenge themselves, for themselves. I am really concerned that you constantly seek acknowledgement, acknowledgement you have done well or acknowledgement that you are upset, is this some kind of reassurance do you think?

Caramoole is posting the thread for people to challenge themselves, for themselves.

It is, I want people to really look at some aspect of their OCD and see how much we can achieve by a week of really determined fight back :)

Guest Elliex

Thank-you Caramoole!

Have done a few rituals this morning but nowhere near as many as I would usually have done. Feeling good today!

How is everyone? Good luck to you all!

xx

Guest *Star*

This is a really good idea Caramoole! :)

I am going to:

1. Stop asking my husband for reasurrance (I have slipped back into that bad habit recently)

2. Was my hands a lot less and reduce the time (BAD excema atm, only cos I wash them far too often and mainly when I am anxious!)

I think I will leave it there and work on those this week :)

OOO and...

I went out with my husband for lunch today and I didn't wash my hands before eating (as I knew they weren't visably dirty) and there was absolutley NO anxiety :a1_cheesygrin: I tend to be ok now if I'm with my husband, it's just when my husbands not there I think I feel more anxious and seem to wash my hands more (yesterday I got a rash all over the back of my hands and wrist :thumbdown: my skin was irritated from all the soap!) I feel good about todays achievement though, I'm obviously getting somewhere with this OCD!

I will try my best not to keep asking my husband for reassurance, it will be a break for him as I get on his nerves :bash:

Good luck everyone and Great idea Caramoole :clapping:

Guest Aarandorf
I will try my best not to keep asking my husband for reassurance, it will be a break for him as I get on his nerves :bash:

Good luck everyone and Great idea Caramoole :clapping:

I'm sure you don't get on his nerves, I always think this, but its never true in the end! :3

I will do my best, but I can't promise nowt! :p :lol:

All the best,

Aarandorf

I'm sure you don't get on his nerves, I always think this, but its never true in the end! :3

I will do my best, but I can't promise nowt! :p :lol:

All the best,

Aarandorf

Oh I definitely do :lol:

Good luck!

Well Done Elliex and Star, that's a good start :clapping:

Welcome aboard Red. Give it a real go this week on the reassurance seeking, I used to be very guilty of this to the point where I did it automatically. Once I made a real effort to stop, I atually found it wasn't that difficult. When the urge to ask rears up, notice and refuse to ask the question :shutup: You an do it.

I will do my best, but I can't promise nowt!

I'm sure you could find an itsy promise Aarandorf :wink:

go team!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You too Theresites

Guest Charlotte

I'm going to be teaching part time this week, and I'm very nervous about it.

So... I'm going to be as relaxed as possible. I'm going to close my computer when I go to bed, and then I will not go back to it to check something.

Lottie xxxx

Guest Lizbeth
I'm going to be teaching part time this week, and I'm very nervous about it.

So... I'm going to be as relaxed as possible. I'm going to close my computer when I go to bed, and then I will not go back to it to check something.

Lottie xxxx

Yay, well done Lottie...when I first starting teaching and all the class would turn to me I'd think, ''Dear GOD, why are they looking at me?! Who's in charge here?!'' :lol: But when you've been doing it a while it honestly does come very naturally. You'll do great.

For me own challenges;

Because of moving house and medication problems my relationship OCD is flaring up along with my checking and I am feeling very fragile but I am going to do my very level best not to ask for any form of reassurance and limit any checking or ruminating.

Instead, I am going to be kind to myself; having long bubble baths, going for walks, cuddling up to my boyfriend, playing silly computer games and on evenings like tonight having a good cry and saying my old mantra ''This too shall be pass. Be good to yourself.''

xxx

Guest alison

ok...

im going to try and tackle my bedtime ritual...

i wont strain until it hurts, in case i pee the bed,

and i will not check my bedroom for "hazards" before i get into bed.

right... its a deal!

Edited by alison

Deal Done Alison :boxing:

Instead, I am going to be kind to myself; having long bubble baths, going for walks, cuddling up to my boyfriend, playing silly computer games and on evenings like tonight having a good cry and saying my old mantra ''This too shall be pass

That sounds like good advice we could all use, it's easy to get bogged down with routine and forgetting to do something nice for ourselves.

That's why I started the thread in a way....we so often get swept along in the day to day routines and drudgery, we don't always treat ourselves kindly. We battle along alone and it's hard to set goals and find the energy and determination to actually get round to facing out the OCD.

This isn't about turning lives around in a week....but just to put a focus on some of the problems and do a bit of fighting back. And if we do see we can achieve some of the small things, it gives us the impetus and hope to fight back even more.

Who's done the the 15 second, fixed grin, twice a day yet?

Gritted teeth don't count :lol: