Kick some OCD Butt

I recall caramoole once set up a post, where we start a small challenge programme against the bully

of ocd . ( cant find it so i thought id launch a new one !! )

So what are you prepared to try ? Are you going to set a small target and challenge the ocd ?

Give it a go, it really does work and we are all here to offer encouragement and support.

legend :original:

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi legend i will try and pick things up off our living room floor without using handgel afterwards x

well done jo. thats a good positive post :original: let us know how it goes x
Guest lucylia

Well i have just found out my other half is going on a big night out soon..... Its filled me with pure and utter panic. What if he does this? What if he does that? Etc etc..... So im going to force myself to smile through it and say nothing to him or question him about it. He hasnt been out without me for a long long time and he deserves a night of relaxing with his friends x thats my goal for just now. I know people probably think that is stupid but to me this is massive xx

Lucy xxx

Well i have just found out my other half is going on a big night out soon..... Its filled me with pure and utter panic. What if he does this? What if he does that? Etc etc..... So im going to force myself to smile through it and say nothing to him or question him about it. He hasnt been out without me for a long long time and he deserves a night of relaxing with his friends x thats my goal for just now. I know people probably think that is stupid but to me this is massive xx

Lucy xxx

Well done lucy . X

I recall caramoole once set up a post, where we start a small challenge programme against the bully

of ocd . ( cant find it so i thought id launch a new one !! )

Bit pushed for time, but I'll try and find Caramoole's thread for you Legend later this evening, it's got to be somewhere hasn't it :original:

Having been inspired by Prof Salkovskis et al. on Saturday, I have set myself the challenge of trying to do one thing that I find scary every day and to record it.

Sat - so many to choose from! A fair few contamination worries as well as pure-o

Sun - didn't spray my shoes with anti-bacterial spray when I got home

Mon - stayed at work when I was possibly contaminated, although feel like a bit of a cop-out as I self-reassured myself that I wasn't contaminated. But I have asked reassurance only once today (so far!)

Having been inspired by Prof Salkovskis et al. on Saturday, I have set myself the challenge of trying to do one thing that I find scary every day and to record it.

Sat - so many to choose from! A fair few contamination worries as well as pure-o

Sun - didn't spray my shoes with anti-bacterial spray when I got home

Mon - stayed at work when I was possibly contaminated, although feel like a bit of a cop-out as I self-reassured myself that I wasn't contaminated. But I have asked reassurance only once today (so far!)

Thats really good jo. I did manage to catch the 2nd half of the conference online, and yes having seen and met paul several times, one ,must say he

really is truly inspirational. hence why i posted this to perhaps get people to kick start, and give 2 fingers to the ocd, even if its small achievable goals

legend

I got the urge to ruminate, analyse and go over a thought/feeling but I took Legend's advice and did not do this and I have worked out that this is actually the compulsion of my OCD. As I did not do the compulsion, after a while, the rational side of the worry entered my mind automatically. It's a revelation for me. I didn't realise I could do this with mental compulsions. I hope it lasts.

Edited by Cupcake32

I got the urge to ruminate, analyse and go over a thought/feeling but I took Legend's advice and did not do this and I have worked out that this is actually the compulsion of my OCD. As I did not do the compulsion, after a while, the rational side of the worry entered my mind automatically. It's a revelation for me. I didn't realise I could do this with mental compulsions. I hope it lasts.

thats fantastic news cupcake. :)

Guest Skylark12

It's very inspiring to see so many positive posts on here~ I'm glad I found this topic ^^

As for me... I'm going to resist the urge to analyse and 'rationalise' my obsessive worries. Even though it feels logical, three months down the line, here I am. Think it's about time I realised my mind isn't always right- despite the fact that it's so tempting to sink back into safe waters and just float in the sea that is literally 'worries without end', haha.....

Aaahh I really want to go over my thoughts and 'sort them out' right now... Kinda like how I always want to pick scabs on my knee. But! I will resist! (Hopefully).

We can do this ~~

Edited by Skylark12

Since I'm going through some good days, I thought it would be worth wild in noting some of them!

I have been successful in letting thoughts be just that, a thought. When I felt I was desensitized to them, my anxiety went back up, worrying about not worrying. I assumed the intrusive thoughts are more realistic now that I have little to no anixety. When this wave went over me, I decided that "I've had enough" I need to let the thought be there and I won't for a second try to ruminate or question if those are my feelings or intentions. Not only have I had the best 2-3 days in over a month, but I feel happy and encouraged to keep trying everyday and savor these moments to remember they are always in reach and possible for days when I may not be feeling my best. If you ruminate, you'll be chasing an answer that will run faster than you can keep up, an answer you'll never feel comfortable with or ones that simply cannot be answered and often gives you another question in return.

My goals are to keep this state of mind, to work on my compulsions when it comes to computer (reclicking, retyping, rewording etc)

Good job everyone!

Edited by kyc

Well done everyone :D

I didn't really have one for today, so just now when I switched the light switch off with my elbow as usual (because sometime a while back I believed it became contaminated) I then went back and switched it on and off loads of times with my bare hand, with a slightly wet hand even (as in my head that makes it more scary), touched all over the light switch and then immediately touched things in the home including the laptop which I know I wouldn't be able to wash, even if I wanted to!

I know it's only little stuff but it's a start and if, say, on a normal day I would be giving in to OCD 100 times, and then I reduce that to 99 times then that's an improvement and proof that there is hope and I can make baby steps, which hopefully one day will lead up to big, huge, giraffe-sized strides.