Kick some OCD Butt

I have to say, I think I dealt with my spike fairly well this morning. Good luck for tomorrow

Well Done Heryn :)

It's funny, but it really can help to know you're part of a team fighting back against this condition, it can give you that extra umph knowing you're not in this alone and you can often pull up that determination from somewhere.

Wishing you a successful tomorrow as well

Caramoole :)

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lizbeth

I ignored my relationship anxiety and spent a whole day with my boyfriend on my birthday...and when he said I love you even though I felt my anxiety start to rise I said it right back and took his hand. :original:

Guest birdie
It's funny, but it really can help to know you're part of a team fighting back against this condition, it can give you that extra umph knowing you're not in this alone and you can often pull up that determination from somewhere.

never a truer word has been spoken!!!!

I ignored my relationship anxiety and spent a whole day with my boyfriend on my birthday...and when he said I love you even though I felt my anxiety start to rise I said it right back and took his hand

You know, it really is a pig this OCD, isn't it :taz: I think when it attacks relationships, mum and children, partners, pets, parents and the rest...it's just so cruel :angry:

Anyway, well done for flying in the face of the Demon...hope you enjoyed your Birthday

I touched the dreaded comfort-room-doorknob at work... euuugh!!! Horrible :helpsmilie: it made me ruminate for a while (the what if's)... but I'm over it :blushing:.

I am able to touched papers of plumbers with much more ease...

I am not give in to the thougths of losing my libido... I know its silly but its one of my obssession.. :lol:

Tommorow I hopefully make my hi-5 with plumbers... Im quite busy today (excuse...)I haven't done it for a while.

vic

hi everyone

i have really been challenging my ocd this week and today i wasgoiing to buy some things i need from the chemist. Yesterday however, i thought i would have a look at the forums and spiked really badly for the first time. I now feel that its not going to happen and i cant stand any more. Its magical thinking and i not only cannot buy anything that can be worn, but thnings such as cleaning products, and certain foods. I really want to end this now.

well done to you all, keep it up.

BL x

P.s. im in such a mess, there are chains of things i can/cant do, its so complicated, please help me

Guest Elliex

How is everyone doing? Good I hope! :a1_cheesygrin:

I have been fighting my OCD for a few days now and although I have had a few 'slip ups', I am feeling very happy about it. I am fighting the thoughts and the rituals and I am sometimes leaving a ritual until the VERY end of the day. (Even when I have thought about it early on in the day!) I used to 'have' to do them all as soon as the thought entered my head. I have even gone to bed with rituals in my head and have promised myself not to do them. I have never done this before!

xx

That's brilliant Elliex, has it boosted your confidence as to how you might actually start to get some control back? I hope so. Sometimes the very act of starting can be the hardest bit. Well Done.

P.s. im in such a mess, there are chains of things i can/cant do, its so complicated, please help me

Hi BL :)

Of course we'll help. What sort of things can't you do....and what sort of things give you some trouble but not just as badly? If you're really stuck it helps to start really small and build.

Don't panic, you'll get there in the end

Vic....that sounds like a positive day, even if it challenged you....now bring on the High 5's. Good Luck with it

Guest Heryn

:/ Misremembering. I know OCD is probably just trying to trick me. Will do my best to persevere :boxing:

Keep up the good work everyone. Have a good one.

Heryn

That's brilliant Elliex, has it boosted your confidence as to how you might actually start to get some control back? I hope so. Sometimes the very act of starting can be the hardest bit. Well Done.

Of course we'll help. What sort of things can't you do....and what sort of things give you some trouble but not just as badly? If you're really stuck it helps to start really small and build.

Don't panic, you'll get there in the end

hi Caramoole, thanks for replying

it started with not being able to buy clothes for 3 days as a punishment to CSP, now it is so complicated. Now it is not buying clothes or anything you could concievably wear such as moisturiser, etc etc even pardon me, pantyliners (things i would not have concieved of not buying a short while ago), for 4 days (4 being a better number for me). Also, i cant wear clothes that i havent worn before, until i am allowed to buy new clothes again, if you see what i mean.

Even when i dont do the skin picking, which i find quite easy not to do , i come up with a reason why i shouldnt buy things yet because things arent perfect. I cant do holidays, buy thnngs i need, do things i want to do, buy food i want to buy to further improve my diet. It s like im fighting myself. i hate it so much , but when i get close to starting to begin allowing myself things even slowly, something always occurs, like the recent trigger i mentioned in my last post and i am plunged in to despair and have to begin again. As time goes on, i learn from it but my mind moves the goalposts. I just dont know what to do, this has been going on for so long. I get lots of back pain too, so cant do lots of typing.

My world is small enough as it is even without ocd. i want to have a free wil, so i can make the most of the rest of my lifel. It is very hard for me to keep busy cos of not being able to work and physical probs and also cos of the OCD restrictions. I will appreciate your input. I am really scared now , i dont know how to carry on. I want to be successful and courageious this time, but it really seems hopeless.

thanks , i hope you can help me, but dont worry if you think im too much, best wishes, bendylouise xx

I just dont know what to do, this has been going on for so long

Things have got complicated, haven't they?

First question....even though the feelings are so strong, you do know that it's OCD that is causing the problem, don't you?

And the horrid truth is that in order to claim your life back, there is no choice but to change the way you do things. I know that's the last thing we sufferers want to hear but sadly, it's true.

As I'm sure you've found already, doing these things doesn't really stop your anxiety. It may do for a little while but then the OCD just claims more and the rituals become more demanding and complicated.

I promise you that stopping, changing or reducing these rituals/compulsions will bring no harm, danger, punishment or anything to either you or anyone else. It just feels as though it will. And I also know that despite me telling you and you knowing that yourself, deep down.....it will cause you a great deal of anxiety....at first.

As I've mentioned here hundreds of times before....doing your rituals doesn't make the anxiety stop, OCD justs finds another ruse another ritual to add. If you're going to feel anxious anyway, feel anxious whilst defying OCD and defying it's rituals.

I think we should work at something that will cause you some upset but not too much....what can we find that you'll try and do in the next day or so, I'm sure we could try and find something, what do you think?

Would you be able/willing to try and go into a shop and by something like a Fudge Bar?

We've got to find some small thing for you to try that will stamp on OCD's head and take one tiny piece of your life back.

What do you think you could try?

Caramoole :hug:

You know that the rituals don't have any effect on the situation and this is just an OCD demand, don't you?

So....it's working through the anxiety that's the next step. Tomorrow, try and postpone those rituals for 3 minutes. You can do 3 minutes and it's getting past that first, face-slapping urge that's the hardest. What are you going to do to pass those 3 minutes by and join Birdie with some success?

when i tinhk about it i know that the rituals dont have any effect but its the stress/anxiety and everything else, like "what if" =( i'l try it tonight for the 3 mins and il let you know how it goes =) il try a sudoku or playing on NHL, hopefully that'l work!! and well done birdie! =)

Guest Elliex

Thank-you for the reply Caramoole. I do feel a lot more confident and I am always telling myself that 'I can do this' rather than letting the OCD tell me that I can't.

Thank-you again! :a1_cheesygrin:

xx

I think we should work at something that will cause you some upset but not too much....what can we find that you'll try and do in the next day or so, I'm sure we could try and find something, what do you think?

Would you be able/willing to try and go into a shop and by something like a Fudge Bar?

We've got to find some small thing for you to try that will stamp on OCD's head and take one tiny piece of your life back.

What do you think you could try?

Caramoole :hug:

thanks a million Caramoole for replying

"First question....even though the feelings are so strong, you do know that it's OCD that is causing the problem, don't you?"

Yes i think i know this, though i keep forgetting, cos of habit/nervousness/meticuluousness/fear/misguided self help

On Tuesday evening when i get out of the swimming pool, on the way home i will buy somethingthat i havent been allowing myself. Then, the next day, i will let you know what occurred and what i got. I will try to post on the same evening but i really need to rest my back after swimming. Is this OK?

I need to make this work and thank you from the bottom of my heart for your help. BL xx

thanks a million Caramoole for replying

"First question....even though the feelings are so strong, you do know that it's OCD that is causing the problem, don't you?"

Yes i think i know this, though i keep forgetting, cos of habit/nervousness/meticuluousness/fear/misguided self help

On Tuesday evening when i get out of the swimming pool, on the way home i will buy somethingthat i havent been allowing myself. Then, the next day, i will let you know what occurred and what i got. I will try to post on the same evening but i really need to rest my back after swimming. Is this OK?

I need to make this work and thank you from the bottom of my heart for your help. BL xx

Actually, im going to do it on Wednesday instead.

:a1_cheesygrin:

Anything's OK BL....I'd just love for you to do one thing that defies your OCD just a bit.....something that's not going to send you off the scale or push you too hard.....but let's see if we can challenge back, something that may cause some anxiety but something you can manage.

I know we all wish we could do it without the pain...but at first, it will push you. I've learned over the years that although it's scary, we can often manage things.....and the thought of defying these horrid thoughts and rituals is often nearly as bad as actually doing so.

Make it small, make it something you can handle......let's see if we can make it One to Bendy Louise....Nil Point to OCD.

Good Luck

How did you do Toddy? Any joy?

...and what about you Vic, did we manage a High Five...I hope so but no worries if you didn't.....what's that popular phrase these days...."Working towards".....as long as the intentions there and you keep focused.

Not quite a week yet and there've been some good results folks

Well Done :clapping:

Caramoole

...and what about you Vic, did we manage a High Five...I hope so but no worries if you didn't.....what's that popular phrase these days...."Working towards".....as long as the intentions there and you keep focused.

Hi caramoole... well I haven't got the high 5's yet. I went to hospital yesterday as I notice I got some blood on my urine. I got my urinalysis and it does have blood in it but it is close to normal says by some doctor in the emergency room. She says it might be kidney stone... probably. She says I just need alot of water so the stone go on its own. I haven't talk to my doctor about it... I could phone him these coming weekend. My doc is always on a trip. I hope its nothing serious... well if I die I die but hopefully I don't.

vic :original:

Guest autumn girl

Hi all

I have slipped a little bit this last couple of weeks and my OCD has taken hold agan :jumpon: .... nasty thing, hitting me when I have a lot on my plate really and my resistance is down.

Anyway it's focusing on my relationship, and particularly I have this hang up at the moment that I am extroverted and he is introverted and never the twain shall meet, and that we shouldnt be together (I was checking like mad on the good old internet yesterday..so naughty I know). Anyway it really creeps up on you doesnt it.

Sooooo, in line with this brilliant thread, today I am going to treat him like a prince, even though the OCD is telling me I should probably call it a day with him, I will be so lovely and affectionate he will wonder what on earth I have been up to!!

Good luck to everyone else here too xx

Guest legend

well done ag :clapping:

i shall be on my toes, as my wife goes away for the rest of the hols., to our mobile home, and being on my own,

the ocd sometimes tries to creep back in, probably because im not busy enough,

on guard legend. :boxing:

How did you do Toddy? Any joy?

Not quite a week yet and there've been some good results folks

Well Done :clapping:

Caramoole

WOOOOOOOOOT i managed 3 mins:D next target.... 5 mins =D *high five*

thanks for your support and help =D

Guest Heryn
well done ag :clapping:

i shall be on my toes, as my wife goes away for the rest of the hols., to our mobile home, and being on my own,

the ocd sometimes tries to creep back in, probably because im not busy enough,

on guard legend. :boxing:

Sounds like a plan, lege.

I'm also going to try to keep busy. Well, I have plenty to do, anyway. ;) Good luck.

Guest Heryn

So-so this afternoon. I just went out to pick up a paper and the total added up to £*.**, I'm sure I cringe whenever I see a particular number, or a variation which can be added or subtracted to make it. (slightly :blushing:)

Edited by Heryn