OCD and starting a family

Guest Enable

Hi Everyone,

I have read somewhere that people with OCD have a 20% chance of passing on the condition to their offspring. I was a bit disturbed when I first heard this as I hadn't previously considered OCD to be a genetic trait. Looking at it now, I can appreciate that, as with depression, past family history increases the chances of offspring having similar conditions.

I would like to hear from anyone with OCD who has started a family: Do any of you have children with signs of OCD or related conditions?

Thanks,

Enable

Guest twoshoes

Hi,

I have 2 year old and I watch for traits but I try not to :(

I accept that my son is more likely to have OCD than a child born to a non sufferer, but there are so many conditions that seem to follow family lines.

A woman who has breast cancer in the family may worry about the genetic hertitage of her children but if she wanted to she would go ahead with a family. Having breast cancer in the family doesn't mean all have to suffer, you may teach you children to be more aware of the contributing factors and self aware of the symptoms.

I think you should think of OCD like this;

I KNOW I have it but it doesn't mean my children will.

I understand the disorder and will be aware.

I have a better understanding.

THIS IS AN OCD WORRY. It has latched on to a fear and taking it to the worst case senario.

Being a parent is all guilt and worry and the OCD will pick up on that, I have a wonderful time with my son despite the OCD and he is happy, bright and wonderful company.

It is a big thing for anyone to mull over but the OCD will get in a loop.

If you do have Kids be honest with your health care, Midwives, health visitors etc all have a duty of care towards you and your child and they can be a wonderful support network.

Take care

Twoshoes

Hi Everyone,

I have read somewhere that people with OCD have a 20% chance of passing on the condition to their offspring. I was a bit disturbed when I first heard this as I hadn't previously considered OCD to be a genetic trait. Looking at it now, I can appreciate that, as with depression, past family history increases the chances of offspring having similar conditions.

I would like to hear from anyone with OCD who has started a family: Do any of you have children with signs of OCD or related conditions?

Thanks,

Enable

28579[/snapback]

28580[/snapback]

Sorry everyone - just had a little PC trouble and ended up posting a reply with no reply ( if you see what I mean!) What I was trying to say was that I have three kids, not babies any more but not teens quite yet. I have always worried about them developing OCD but they seem fine at the moment. Occasionally I think I am worrying too much because if they ever ask me to check anything (eg "MUM! Are my gerbils OK? Is the cat going to get them?) I think they have OCD. I am probably tougher than 'normal' parents over stopping them in their tracks if they over-check or over-worry. However, in over 12 years of parenting I have seen no signs of clinical OCD in them. What I really decided was that I would have kids but that if I ever felt they were developing OCD problems I would ensure that they got excellent CBT immediately, because I have a high level of awareness. I think this is a fair compromise, because it would give them every chance of beating it before it took a hold.

Look at it this way. We OCD people have absolutely loads to give; it would be a shame if we were all weeded out. If we take a positive view and see OCD as something which can be beaten, we can view our children as people who will have better chances than we ever had. Further more, even if there is a 20% chance of passing it on, that means there's an 80% chance that we won't pass it on and those odds are good enough for me.

I would say though to finish that if you have OCD when you have a child it can really kick off (the OCD that is not the child!) and it is a good idea to be prepared for that.

All the best

honey

Guest summerleft

Although we have no children as yet it is one of my worries especially as my partner is a recouvering alcoholic hmmm lol but my mum has mild OCD so it had been passed on

I think tho that as you know what your up against youll notice signs early on and also be able to act in a helpful manner rather than not understanding your childs problem :grin:

I have read somewhere that people with OCD have a 20% chance of passing on the condition to their offspring.

28579[/snapback]

I would not worry about this, not enough research as been carried out to make this figure at all reliable, although out of interest where did you read it?

The cause of OCD is still hotly debated amongst the medical community and I think the figure is just a number plucked out of the air by the author, whoever it was.

I would assume the risk will come if you are carrying out rituals in front of your children, but if you are aware of that then you an be alert to it and try and not to carry our rituals in front of your children.

28579[/snapback]

Hi enable,

I have had OCD most of my life. Probably 40 + years and I have a 21 year old son who does not and has not ever shown any signs of OCD.

I hope everything works out for you :(

Love Patsy x

Guest ScottOCDid

Hi Enable,

I think it would be a huge shame for sufferers to decide against starting a family on the basis of OCD. The fact that you're even thinking about it as a potential issue shows that you're just the sort of caring person who would perform well as a parent!

And, let's face it, if anybody follows the roots of their family tree, they'll find a right cocktail of genetic quirks!!

Best wishes,

Scott

:blushing: PS - that smilie isn't supposed to represent me!

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all - I've been ridiculously busy recently. I just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to: twoshoes, honey, summerleft, waul46, Ashie, patsy and ScottOCDid. Thank you for your wonderful words of reassurance and suport. I really feel a lot more positive about starting a family after reading each of your replies. :thumbup:

Best wishes,

Enable