finally told the doctor

Guest jambo

Hi guys,

Well i finally did it, i told my G.P about my OCD.

Recently the nurse found i had high blood pressure so i had to make an appointment to see the doctor.

Luckily my wife was able to go with me to give me dutch courage.I'm not sure what i was expecting to happen (perhaps a fanfare or something :lol2: ) but he seemed very everyday about it and didn't try to dismiss it.He asked me what my "thing" was, you know, checking, contamination, etc and said he could arrange for me to see a psychotherapist (i think :( ????).

I turned this down at the moment....little steps and too stressed to deal with it what with my high blood pressure and stuff.

I've got to go back in 6 weeks for my blood pressure and he said give the medication a chance to work and make a decision then about how to proceed.

I think my bp is probably a lot to do with the stress of OCD its 151 over 100ish....is that the right way round????

does any one else suffer with high bp and do you think its connected with OCD????

anyway, just thought i'd let you know about my small breakthrough, i feel a bit better now. :(

hope you are all well, keep fighting

jambo :blushing:

That's fantastic news Jambo! Here is your fanfare... :(:):thumbup: :blushing:

It's great that your GP seemed to know about it too :):(

I think my bp is probably a lot to do with the stress of OCD its 151 over 100ish....is that the right way round????

It is the right way round but I couldn't really say if it's related to OCD or not. Although I should imagine that anxiety and a high BP might go hand-in-hand but I'm really no expert.

Guest ScottOCDid

Well done, Jambo!

Hopefully, when the medication for your elevated blood pressure takes effect, you'll be able to give calm consideration to the options for tackling your OCD. You might even find that the beta-blockers reduce your stress sufficiently to take the edge off the OCD - depending, of course, on the type of OCD from which you suffer.

Anyway, congratulations on making that step.

Best wishes,

Scott

Thats great jambo, I know how hard it is, i had my appointment to tell my doc today and it was really nerve-wracking. Its so great to take the first step, be proud of yourself.

does any one else suffer with high bp and do you think its connected with OCD????

I do Jambo, and in my case at least, it certainly is to do with the OCD and anxiety.

I have what is classed as Labile High BP. I don't have High BP as an organic disorder, more that my BP goes up when feeling anxious, I then start to obsess about it and push it up higher....you know the sort of OMG I'm going to die :( It's also worth considering that your BP was probably up because you were in the Doctors surgery, white coat hypertension, my Doctor now knows it is completely pointless taking my BP in the surgery, it's futile.

In my case I was sent for a 24 hour BP test, i.e they rig you up with a machine and it takes your BP every half an hour. That and the fact that my doctor suggested that I got a home monitor. With these two tests it was shown that my BP isn't constantly raised and therefore shouldn't be medicated.

One word of caution, I got the home monitor and became obsessed about taking readings....have had to work quite hard at that. In fact I'm having a BP related day today....last night it was very low.....I dunno, OCD...Aagggghhhhh :blushing:

Guest Pure Heaven

HI EVERYONE,

I TOO HAVE JUST FESSED UP TO THE DOCTOR AFTER 20 YRS, AND HAVE NOW JOINED OCD-UK.

JUST BEFORE CHRISTMAS, MY DAD WAS GETTING VERY ILL, AND AS I LIVE WITH HIM, I WAS FINDING IT VERY HARD TO COPE WITH MY OCD-MAINLY CLEANING,CHECKING AND ORDERLINESS, AND LOOKING AFTER HIM. MY DOCTOR WAS TOTALLY SUPPORTIVE. WE HAVE NOW FOUND OUT THAT DAD HAS CANCER IN HIS LUNGS, LIVER AND KIDNEY AND CANNOT BE TREATED. HE HAS A FEW MONTHS TO LIVE. I WILL BE HAVING MY FIRST CONSULT WITH A THERAPIST :help: ON FEB 8TH AND WILL BE DIPPING INTO THE FORUM OFTEN FOR HELP AND SUPPORT. GREAT TO KNOW THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO CAN SHARE THEIR INFORMATION. SEE YOU ALL SOON.

PURE HEAVEN