Doing Well but Struggling Badly!

Guest waul46

Hi,

Jusy thought I would give a holla as things are going pretty bad for me at the moment! Although my paramedic course is going well and I am keeping pace its when I'm at University my OCD is really rearing its head! Thoughts of excessive responsisbily, thinking people have taken what i've said the wrong way and just endless ruminating together with a really depressed mood are making things very difficult!

This is worse when I'm on my own in my room after classes. I have joined the gym but even though I was training hard and enjoying it only six months ago I went to the gym the other day and just felt so ploddish and uninterested. I also left a uni nightclub last night early as I just wasn't in the mood and while I was there could not bring my body to move to the loud music!

I guess I'm hoping this is just a bad phase i'll hopfully get out of soon but i am hoping I can do it myself without going back on prozac or something similar. Maybe I could give st johns wort a try?!

Oh well on the plus side i'm keeping pace with the course and making friends its just it feels like i'm being weighted down by chains so have to work extra hard at everything. I'm gonna keep up with the gym and maybe do a part time evening job to snap myself out of this latest depression!

Hope everyones doing ok and thanks for reading, waul :blushing:

Guest Brainstrain
Hi,

Jusy thought I would give a holla as things are going pretty bad for me at the moment! Although my paramedic course is going well and I am keeping pace its when I'm at University my OCD is really rearing its head! Thoughts of excessive responsisbily, thinking people have taken what i've said the wrong way and just endless ruminating together with a really depressed mood are making things very difficult!

This is worse when I'm on my own in my room after classes. I have joined the gym but even though I was training hard and enjoying it only six months ago I went to the gym the other day and just felt so ploddish and uninterested. I also left a uni nightclub last night early as I just wasn't in the mood and while I was there could not bring my body to move to the loud music!

I guess I'm hoping this is just a bad phase i'll hopfully get out of soon but i am hoping I can do it myself without going back on prozac or something similar. Maybe I could give st johns wort a try?!

Oh well on the plus side i'm keeping pace with the course and making friends its just it feels like i'm being weighted down by chains so have to work extra hard at everything. I'm gonna keep up with the gym and maybe do a part time evening job to snap myself out of this latest depression!

Hope everyones doing ok and thanks for reading, waul  :blushing:

28719[/snapback]

Hello

Not sure if I can give support as such but just thought I'd let you know that I feel like this too I just don't feel like doing anything! This morning I woke up feeling quite optimistic and was determined I would get all my housework done ride my exercise bike and then have a nice bath, how far have I got? Not even a hint of housework, s the day has gone on I have just felt more and more negative to the point where I just don't wanna do anything!

brainstrain

Hi Waul, glad to hear the course is going ok :blushing:

I think there are probably several reasons. One is often the anti-climax factor. When you've pushed and fought, like you did, and every moment was consumed with winning your battle, often once the deed is done and you're not fighting anymore it does tend to cause anti-climax and feeling flat.

Secondly, the time of year doesn't help (anyone), dark days, Christmas, lousy weather. Lots of us feel low at this time of year......It'll soon be Spring though.

It's not surprising you feel more like this at Uni, especially after classes when you have time on your own, a void. When you're doing the practical side you're probably actively busy, working as part of a team and enjoying the challenge. Not being interested in the Gym or Night Club is par for the course and this sort of dis-interest in things is typical of low mood/depression.

It probably would do you good to stick with the gym, it does help raise endorphin/feel good factor levels.

It's also worth bearing in mind that even people without OCD will do their own share of ruminating.....OMG, what have I done, what if I'm not good enough, what if I let somebody down. I think we under-estimate sometimes that 'Ordinary' people also have these thoughts and worries when taking on a new or responsible role.

It's probably a blip Waul, try to see it for what it is and let's hope it passes soon :(

Good Luck with the course

Hi Waul

God i wish i saw your post earlier, because i was in a nightclub on Friday night and just felt like you. It certainly does get you down. I think Caramoole has given you some good advice here. I'm up on campus at the momnent and it is bloody freezing in the library, so there are plenty of 'outside' factors which can contribute to you feeling a wee bit low.

I guess with anxiety/depression/OCD one approach to take really is that from time to time you are going to have a 'bad' day/days. Fully expect them from time to time. It is not the end of the world if you have a bad day, and if you recognise this then you will have some tools in place to deal with it. Going to the gym is a good idea (and i should practice what i preach) and keep your social life up too. The nightclubs is not always going to make you feel like that.

see ya mate

Adam

Guest napo100383

hi im in Unit too and i know what you mean

i joined the gym in first year and eventually felt better i know what you mean though you are doing everything by the book to get better but it takes time its frustratin but hopefully come sprin all our threads will be oh i feel great,,

must join the gym this semester!

Hi,

Hope everyones doing ok and thanks for reading, waul  :mad2:

28719[/snapback]

Hi waul

Really sorry you're having a rough time at the minute. I can understand where you're coming from on this one. I'm back studying again after a long-ish break of about three years. Since I've been back I've been suffering the same probs as you have, plus a generous heap of anxiety thrown in too...

I'm not in a gym (way too self conscious and well, lazy quite frankly :) ) but I do get out and walk loads when I can, which I find really helps clear my mind and make me feel a bit less 'grr-some'.

Waul, it's really great that you're thinking of taking on a part-time job as well as your course and going to the gym etc - but please be careful that you don't end up taking too much on just in order to combat your depression. If you feel you can definitely manage it then go for it, but just stay aware and look after yourself.

I'm sorry I can't offer you any more constructive advice, but take care and keep posting

Love from Queenie