bad misconceptions!

Guest day_enthusiast

Guest day_enthusiast

Hi guys! On friday, I experienced the most incredible ignorance towards OCD! The really surprising part is that it was from my psychology teacher!

We've been studying neuroses in class for about a week now and Friday, we arrived at OCD. After definining it to the class, she said "Everyone has OCD to a certain degree, in some people it's just more pronounced. I hate it when my house is dirty so that means I have a sort of cleaning OCD." She then went around the class asking everyone "What sort of OCD do you have?"

It was so terrifying, she got to me and I just said I didn't know" because I was so surprised at her ignorance. How did she ever become a psychology teacher?? Now my whole class thinks they have OCD and all day, kids were joking about their 'OCDs'. I am sooo :wallbash: mad!

that sounds awful!

i hate it when ppl say stuff like that. i have a real problem leaving my flat coz i cant use any other toilets and ppl play it down, like ''oh yeah, i dont like public loos either''- but its like, does it stop you working or studying or goin on a day out or a holiday?

how ignornat of yr teacher!!! :wallbash:

Guest Brainstrain
Hi guys! On friday, I experienced the most incredible ignorance towards OCD!  The really surprising part is that it was from my psychology teacher!

We've been studying neuroses in class for about a week now and Friday, we arrived at OCD.  After definining it to the class, she said "Everyone has OCD to a certain degree, in some people it's just more pronounced.  I hate it when my house is dirty so that means I have a sort of cleaning OCD."  She then went around the class asking everyone "What sort of OCD do you have?"

It was so terrifying, she got to me and I just said  I didn't know" because I was so surprised at her ignorance.  How did she ever become a psychology teacher??  Now my whole class thinks they have OCD and all day, kids were joking about their 'OCDs'.  I am sooo  :wallbash: mad!

28801[/snapback]

Hello!

Her response was outrageous! She must have been absent on the day they studied ocd! Maybe you should print her off some stuff that people have written on the forum to show her what it is really like, the pain us real suferers really go through! The last thing we need is people joking and laughing about it! Sorry you had such a bad experience, if I had been there I don't know what I would have done - probably cried!

brainstrain :crybaby:

Guest WestDorsetBlue

Hi, I’m sorry to that you had to go through that awful experience due to your ‘psychology teacher’s’ ignorance.

The ignorance your ‘psychology teacher’ is quite shocking, as she has shown a lack of knowledge about OCD, which is inexcusable for a psychology teacher.

One idea is to say to her, that you have done some research on OCD, (without letting her know that you have OCD) and that you recommend that she reads Dr. Jeffrey Schwartz’s, book Brain Lock and looks up the OCD UK website. Then perhaps your ‘psychology teacher’ can get an idea of what OCD is and what OCD suffers go through on a daily basis.

Guest thunderhawk

I know, OCD is something not to leagh about :(

I really hate these kind of situation, they pretend to know all about it, but know nothing at all about it, this can make me so angry too... :mad2:

She doesn't seem to get it :)

Guest thunderhawk

Well day_enthousiast,

You should've said:

I suffer from OCD and I have..... and I really have it and you know completely nothing about it... blablabla

Really kick-ass :)

But, its soo... argh, what an attitude...

That sounds terrible, teachers can be really unaware and it's very hard

to confront them, especially in this situation where everyone is dismissing OCD.

Perhaps you could write to her, you don't have to identify yourself.

YOu could print off some information from the website and tell her that you

are one of her students and that she obviously does not understand the

full extent of OCD. Maybe look at the Resources section on the BB, which has some articles there.

Her attitude shows a lack of understanding of a condition that effects you and

could lead to you feeling alienated in her class and affect your ability to learn.

I think if you point this out to her and send her the information, she will probably

be quite shocked and may be prompted to do some more research and learn about

OCD.

Well, you have found out that your teachers don't know everything!

Hopefully, this will spur you on to learn more and to present it to them, so they can learn from you. :thumbup:

Best wishes

Traze

That sounds terrible, teachers can be really unaware and it's very hard

to confront them, especially in this situation where everyone is dismissing OCD.

Perhaps you could write to her, you don't have to identify yourself.

YOu could print off some information from the website and tell her that you

are one of her students and that she obviously does not understand the

full extent of OCD. Maybe look at the Resources section on the BB, which has some articles there.

Her attitude shows a lack of understanding of a condition that effects you and

could lead to you feeling alienated in her class and affect your ability to learn.

I think if you point this out to her and send her the information, she will probably

be quite shocked and may be prompted to do some more research and learn about

OCD.

Well, you have found out that your teachers don't know everything!

Hopefully, this will spur you on to learn more and to present it to them, so they can learn from you.  :thumbup:

Best wishes

Traze

28886[/snapback]