Pulling together

Guest Phyl

:omg: The forum is wonderful and a real source of help, thankyou for the replies and support. Does anyone else find they have related insomnia with the OCD? I am never sure whether I just suffer from plain old insomnia or if it is in some way linked to the OCD.

Also it would be nice if there was a proper documentary on television about OCD as I have never seen one and I think it would be helpful to educate people who know nothing about the condition and think the worst.

Hi Phyl,

I'm a firm believer that ocd can be the cause of numerous sleepless nights. There is nothing worse than going to bed with your brain on autopilot. Have you tried writing down your worries on some paper before going to bed? That seems like a pretty practical step to take. If you get no joy it may be an idea to see the doctor as ittyk has suggested.

Take it easy

Adam

Guest twoshoes

It's a viscvious cirlcle :thumbup::thumbup::D

I can't sleep because I am cleaning, showering, obsessing etc, then the next day I am shattered and the OCD gets worst because I am not on top form.

I find sometimes that I can sleep on the sofa but actually getting in to bed feels like the end of the day and OCD tells me that I haven't done everything I need to do to be "SAFE"

What a pain in the rear.

Sorry small vent not much help. :)

Hi Phyl

I sometimes suffer with insomnia. It seems to be when my checking is at its worst and I'm really anxious. I can be really tired sometimes but when I start to go to sleep my heart starts racing and wakes me up. I've started having a bath with lavendar bubble bath in it just before I go to bed and this seems to help calm me down a bit.

Take Care

Sian

If insomnia is due to anxiety, the herbal remedy valerian might be useful. It is available from healthfood shops, I have even bought some in Sainsburys. I would go for a reputable brand, the one I got was in tincture form (you put drops in water), so it goes into the system quicker. You can also get valerian teabags etc but not very pleasant tasting. There is scientific evidence for the effectiveness of valerian in treating anxiety, I can post a link if anyone is interested. Ask your GP if you are on any other meds, they should have heard of it as it is quite commonly used by people with insomnia.

I have used it for a few days when away from home and more anxious. It had a similar effect on me as having an alcoholic nightcap, but without the thick head in the morning. I just took it at bedtime and it seemed to work quickly (i.e. didn't need days to build up). I recommended it to an elderly friend with insomnia. He said it didn't help with the insomnia but he felt noticeably less anxious. I think he is into a chronic pattern of sleeping from 4:00 AM until 10:00 AM, he probably gets enough sleep but would like to go to sleep earlier.

Traze