I'm new

Guest Beckett93

Guest Beckett93

Hi,

I've just been having a bit of a setback with OCD and was looking around the net for info to cheer me up and found this forum. I'm 29 and have had problems off and on with OCD since I was 4. I had a really nasty episode with handwashing that lasted two years (14-16), but that passed and I didn't really have a problem with OCD interfering with my ability to live my life until I was 22. Then it went through the roof. I dropped out of the university and lived in my sister's basement for a year, scared I was losing my mind. In 1998, it worsened considerably and I began treatment. My doctor said the first time he saw me I was on the verge of not being able to function, so I guess I've made quite a bit of progress in the last few years, but I'm far from being back to where I was at age 21. I still obsess, can't have shoes worn in my rooms without sweeping immediately as soon as the guest is gone, or sleep in my own bed for fear of messing it up, but the obsessions aren't so bad they send me into an absolute panic anymore and I have gotten past things like staying up through the night disassembling the toilet seat to clean between the hinges, or pulling hair off the floor with tape. I know it sounds weird, but I think you all will understand. I just had, and in a way still have, a major hangup about the carpet.

Enough about me. I hope to be able to offer support to everyone here who deals with this problem. I hate to sound selfish, but one of the things that helps me feel better is to help others. It's great that this forum exists! There is nothing as comforting as reading the words of others experiencing a similar thing and they say it will be alright :)

Hi,

I've just been having a bit of a setback with OCD and was looking around the net for info to cheer me up and found this forum.  I'm 29 and have had problems off and on with OCD since I was 4.  I had a really nasty episode with handwashing that lasted two years (14-16), but that passed and I didn't really have a problem with OCD interfering with my ability to live my life until I was 22.  Then it went through the roof.  I dropped out of the university and lived in my sister's basement for a year, scared I was losing my mind.  In 1998, it worsened considerably and I began treatment.  My doctor said the first time he saw me I was on the verge of not being able to function, so I guess I've made quite a bit of progress in the last few years, but I'm far from being back to where I was at age 21.  I still obsess, can't have shoes worn in my rooms without sweeping immediately as soon as the guest is gone, or sleep in my own bed for fear of messing it up, but the obsessions aren't so bad they send me into an absolute panic anymore and I have gotten past things like staying up through the night disassembling the toilet seat to clean between the hinges, or pulling hair off the floor with tape.  I know it sounds weird, but I think you all will understand.  I just had, and in a way still have, a major hangup about the carpet.

Enough about me.  I hope to be able to offer support to everyone here who deals with this problem.  I hate to sound selfish, but one of the things that helps me feel better is to help others.  It's great that this forum exists!  There is nothing as comforting as reading the words of others experiencing a similar thing and they say it will be alright  :)

29033[/snapback]

hiya, i have the same type of ocd as you and i completely understand the carpet thing, i use my swiffer to get up all the hair and all shoes have to be removed at the door of my flat and i also regularly sleep on the sofa or even the floor coz i fear contaminating my bed. so it doesnt sound wierd at all! i hope u find this board as useful and supportive as i have, pm me if you likew, gem :)

Guest Beckett93

Thank you for the welcome and thank you for sharing that you have the same obsession :) There are times I deride myself over the things I do and say that I'm just completely abnormal, but to see that there are others who do the same thing makes me feel normal, even if only in the realm of OCD. That's the beauty of forums such as this. No matter what the obsession or compulsion, if you get enough OCD sufferers together in a room or virtual community, you will find two or more people who share a symptom and then they can feel less alone. It's wonderful. Medication and CBT are great, but sometimes the best therapy is the understanding words of fellow sufferers. :smile:

but one of the things that helps me feel better is to help others.

sometimes the best therapy is the understanding words of fellow sufferers. :smile:

29039[/snapback]

Hi Beckett,

Welcome from me too :) .

You're so right about the help that fellow sufferers can give to each other - and that it helps to help others. OCD can be a very selfish disorder and I think sharing with and supporting others really are helpful :)

Take care

whitebeam

PS This is a great forum too - lots of lovely people :lol2:

Guest Beckett93

Hi whitebeam and thank you for the welcome :) I am very impressed with the people at this board. I did my first posts before going to sleep last night and the first thing I wanted to do after I woke up was to come by and see how everyone was doing. You all do have a good thing going here. I tried an OCD group on Yahoo once and it left a great deal to be desired. There is a real atmosphere of support and understanding here, which is so important when dealing with anxiety and ocd. You all do great work :)