OCD

Guest Davis

Should I?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To be brutally honest i dont know if i should tell my friends that i have this ocd as what if they think im mad, a perv, werido etc etc?.

That is not meant to reflect on my friends please understand , im just scared.

Only people that know are my mum, a few cousins, and a security lady at my work who i told in confidence(but didnt go into major detail about the ocd) and she is at uni studying to be a psycholgist/studying psychology at uni.

Advice Please :)

Guest ScottOCDid

Hi Davis,

I reckon "yes" if you're comfortable doing so... but I'd suggest taking it a step at a time - don't bare your soul from the outset, just test the water with some light-hearted anecdotes about your OCD.

I first told someone outwith my immediate family* about a year and a half ago (after about 23 years of OCD). It guess it seemed like a big deal at the time but I reckon that level-headed people generally just take you for who you are and judge you by how you interact with those around you.

Good luck - but don't put pressure on yourself over it.

Cheers,

Scott

*GP excepted.

Guest Beckett93

Hi again Davis.

OCD is nothing to be ashamed of. Sadly, some people misunderstand it, but they don't know as much about it as we who deal with it do. Your friends are your friends. They will be your friends regardless, but they might need time to learn about OCD, that it does not make you mad, a perv, or a weirdo. People with OCD tend to hide it from shame. That is normal. But it is not some dirty secret you have to keep, any more than you would hide having arthritis, or bad eyesight, or a flu. It does not mean you are insane, have an unstable personality, or are a potential menace. It is a common problem millions of people across the world share. If you do decide to tell your friends, only you can decide when will be the right time to tell them and if they need time to understand it after you have told them (if you decide to), that is okay.

Guest bigkeefer

Hi Davis,

Difficult one this. Perhaps you could test the water somehow beforehand? Maybe ask them if anyone saw the documentary on C5 the other week or something liike that?

Failing that - if you think they are really good understanding friends then tell them. But as already suggested it might be better testing the path first...i.e. don't go into too much detail to start with if you don't want to.

However, if you do decide to tell them - please make sure that you don't fall into the age old trap of getting your friends to "help" you with your OCD. If they start changing their behaviour or reassure you at critical points etc. to "help you out now that they know" it can actually make you worse.

Good luck! :)