Advice requested

Guest Dragonfruit

Guest Dragonfruit

OK - I'm panicking a bit

Had my interview with the newspaper journalist.

She was really nice and we chatted for quite a while but I said she could print my name and now I'm panicking.

I'm also so worried that I've done a really :) job representing OCD and that I've made it sound trivial or something.

I don't get to see the finished article until it's printed and I'm really freaking out that I'm going to be mortified that I've said all the wrong things.

I'm so worried that what should have been a great opportunity to spread some awareness is going to backfire and it'll all be my fault.

I'm so scared that I'll have let you all down and I don't know what to do.

:crybaby: :(

Guest Anthony

Dragonfruit

Are you concerned at them printing your name and "coming out the closet" or just that you might let the side down??

You will have represented OCD in the best way you could. As you always do with your posts. You won't have let anyone down - I for one didn't even know you were doing the interview so how could you have let me down

You should be proud of yourself for putting yourself up fpor something like that

Be strong

Tony

OK - I'm panicking a bit

She was really nice and we chatted for quite a while but I said she could print my name and now I'm panicking.

I'm also so worried that I've done a really  :) job representing OCD and that I've made it sound trivial or something.

I don't get to see the finished article until it's printed and I'm really freaking out that I'm going to be mortified that I've said all the wrong things.

I'm so worried that what should have been a great opportunity to spread some awareness is going to backfire and it'll all be my fault.

:crybaby:  :(

29379[/snapback]

Guest Steviemfc

Hi DF

Everything will be just fine, I'm sure that you have done a great job of portraying OCD to the media. Your advice and support on here is always useful/helpful so stop panicking.

Stevie

Ditto everyone else Dragonfruit. At the same time i do not think you should be too surprised to have these thoughts though...that's the nature of the beast.

I'm sure your interview was good, and reflects the fact that for all the textbook descriptions of OCD, it just aint that simple.

See ya

Adam

OK - I'm panicking a bit

I'm also so worried that I've done a really  :) job representing OCD and that I've made it sound trivial or something.

:crybaby:  :(

29379[/snapback]

Hey DF!

Firstly, let me say this - in no way will you have let any of us down. By agreeing to do the interview and then actually doing it, you've done something really really brave and fab!

I know plenty people who would baulk at the thought of doing an interview - and they don't have the OCD to deal with as well.

It really is completely natural for you to feel this way after the event - you took a huge step last night in doing the interview. I'm sure that you gave 110% and that the finished piece will be brilliant.

Take care

Love K

Hi DF,

Please try not to worry. I'm sure it's just that you're feeling a little anxious until you actually see what has been written.

I'm sure you will have done well with the interview. I can't imagine that you would have let any of us down. You always seem to know what to say here so I'm sure you made a god job of the interview.

Good on you for doing it in the first place. It's wonderful that you were able to.

Patsyx

Guest bigkeefer

Hi DF

At the time of the interview you would have been 'in the zone' and going with the flow. I'm sure you did a grand job!

It is only now that it is over and your OCD now has time to start gnawing away at you until the articles is published that these thoughts are coming to the surface.

It's a classic example of what OCD does to us. :down:

Don't let it bring you down - it's the Imp putting this self-doubt etc. into your mind.

And always remembers - no matter what - you will NEVER have let us down.

There's no way I would have had the strength to do an interview - so say :thumbup: to the Imp and instead give yourself a, well deserved, pat on the back!!

:)

Guest ScottOCDid

Hi DF,

Well done for being brave and doing the interview!

29379[/snapback]

Don't panic!!!! Sounds like the OCD kicking in to me... :down:

Bigkeefer has nailed it:

It is only now that it is over and your OCD now has time to start gnawing away at you until the articles is published that these thoughts are coming to the surface.

It's a classic example of what OCD does to us.

So true. And as for:

I don't know what to do.

:down:  :thumbup:

29379[/snapback]

You don't need to do anything..... except chill out!

Take care,

Scott :(

Guest Dragonfruit

Thanks guys - you're all lovely. :crybaby:

I'm sure part of it is my general paranoia - but a big part is that I don't feel I did well at all - I'm trying to be objective and I'm disappointed.

I'm also really scared that the journalist (who was lovely) may have misunderstood something I said - or maybe only put certain types of quotes in.

I know the OCD is making me doubt myself - but I'm so worried that I'll end up defeating the point of doing the interview and put OCD in a bad light or something.

It was so hard for me to do it in the first place but I was determined to go ahead in order to help the charity and I just feel like I've made things worse - and even more unclear.

At one point I was so nervous I even referred to myself as a "nutter with a stick in her bag" I think.

I'm so upset I've done badly - and am really worried about it .......... I just don't want to upset or disappoint or anger anyone here - you guys mean so much to me - this site has totally been my salvation - and the thought that I've done something to jeopardise my welcome here really terrifies me. :)

I'm so upset I've done badly - and am really worried about it .......... I just don't want to upset or disappoint or anger anyone here - you guys mean so much to me - this site has totally been my salvation - and the thought that I've done something to jeopardise my welcome here really terrifies me.  :)

29522[/snapback]

Hi DF,

I'm sure you haven't done it badly at all - and you certainly won't have said anything to upset anyone on here. We're all behind you 100% :crybaby: .

I think you're really brave to open up to a journalist - it's quite hard to do because whenever you do anything like that you always think afterwards of the things you should (or shouldn't!) have said.

I'm sure it will be fine; I'm looking forward to seeing your article at some time :thumbup: .

Take care

whitebeam

I'm so upset I've done badly - and am really worried about it .......... I just don't want to upset or disappoint or anger anyone here - you guys mean so much to me - this site has totally been my salvation - and the thought that I've done something to jeopardise my welcome here really terrifies me.  :)

29522[/snapback]

Hi DF,

I'm sure you haven't done it badly at all - and you certainly won't have said anything to upset anyone on here. We're all behind you 100% :crybaby: .

I think you're really brave to open up to a journalist - it's quite hard to do because whenever you do anything like that you always think afterwards of the things you should (or shouldn't!) have said.

I'm sure it will be fine; I'm looking forward to seeing your article at some time :thumbup: .

Take care

whitebeam

29525[/snapback]

I totally agree with whitebeam. To do what you did and open up to a journalist is such a brave thing.

And as for what you said about jepoardising your welcome here, DF - what are you like? :thumbup: We're all here for you anytime you need us - you've really no need to feel scared or terrified about that, you're a really kind, thoughtful, caring person who has offered so much to others on here when they've needed support - and likewise, we want to be able to offer you help and friendship when you need it, too. Keep posting and don't fret! You're fab! :thumbup:

From your friend, K

x

I'm so upset I've done badly - and am really worried about it .......... I just don't want to upset or disappoint or anger anyone here

29522[/snapback]

Don't be silly, what you did was very brave and nobody can turn round and say anything because you have had the guts to get up there and speak to the media to raise awareness!

It does not matter how it comes out, you put yourself on the line for the OCD cause which certainly I have nothing but respect for.

And if it's a poor article, which I am sure it won't be, but if it is then we can blame the journalist for misquoting you :lol2: When is it due out, do you know?

Guest Dragonfruit
And if it's a poor article, which I am sure it won't be, but if it is then we can blame the journalist for misquoting you  :lol2: When is it due out, do you know?

29531[/snapback]

Teeheehee - OK - done deal!

Don't know - may or may not tell you depending on the outcome! :lol2: :lol2:

Guest Memeplex
I'm also really scared that the journalist (who was lovely) may have misunderstood something I said - or maybe only put certain types of quotes in.

I know the OCD is making me doubt myself - but I'm so worried that I'll end up defeating the point of doing the interview and put OCD in a bad light or something.

29522[/snapback]

I think that despite their reputation most journalists have professional integrity and understanding and want to represent their subjects fairly. Also, for an article about a condition like OCD I would imagine they are interested in raising awareness about a condition many people have never heard of, like much of the recent media attention. So they will have no interest in trivialiing it. An article about a trivial condition wouldn't be very interesting! They are more likely to want to explain and understand it.

I'm sure you did absolutely fine. :)