Are/Can Less Serious thoughts be OCD?

Hi,

As I am new to understanding the OCD condition, I would appreciate a bit of help. Some of the thoughts I feel most guilty about are things that many might suggest ARE coming from me? For example many of not 'killign someone', 'attacking someone'....but they might be making a crude remark about someone in my head about them being poor, not very clever. These again would be no reason, and I know this is not my character. The thing is the more outrageous thoughts I can realise must be the condition, but I almost get more guilt from these thoughts as they appear more normal and could be down to me I worry. I get guilt and not any pleasure from these thoughts, which I assume is a good sign. In addition can can one really decipher what is their thought and what would be OCD, because obviously one can not just blame everything that appears bad on OCD?

Your comments would be helpful and of interest,

Jon.

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the board :)

I'm not an expert at all but from what I have read and heard about OCD I would say that the thoughts you are experiencing are OCD. It sounds to me like they are distressing you and that is often a key feature of OCD. You say that the thoughts aren't like your character and so that further suggests that they are OCD.

Guest summerleft

Ive had OCD for 12 years and its evolved and changed many times where i ve probably lhad most of the thoughts associated with it over this time

I can sit watching tv and think the most awful things about people such as oo shes so fat they just pop into my head without reason as normally im not that mean plus im not that thin!

So yes your thoughts do seem to be OCD related the point being when i first started with it i wish i known then becuase it seemed just a quirk in my nature i never knew it would become the monster that it has! eary diagnosis could stop years of misery so i hope that it becomes a more recognised illness in time to come

Guest ace of base fan

i often wonder what is ocd and what is not but i guess that is part of the illness,like tonight i have been round my friends and was doing fine until i started thinking how ugly my friend was which i didnt want to think or feel i shouldnt think,so to me that is a sign its ocd because i dont want to think it.i also feel that some of my friends feel since i have been diagnosed with ocd i use it as an excuse for every bad thought i have and then that makes me question again if these bad thoughts of people are what i actually feel.

Guest Dennis912

Hi MC,

I would like to add something that a therapist told me..and it made sense to me..

OCD thoughts are your thoughts

your thoughts are your thoughts

what happens is: (i'm not a doctor)

you have 1 thought entry point to your brain

you have 1 thought exit point to your brain

so what happens to "normal people" is 1 thought comes in - then you decide not to give it value, and it leaves..

what happens to ocd people is: 1 thought comes in and we give it value, for whatever reason, we worry, feel guilty, have anxiety over a thought that should have discarded already, so what happens is some people develope compulsions to easy the pain of the thought i.e: cleaning, washing, counting ect.

some people live in fear of the thoughts, because you'll never forget how you felt when you had that thought so you let it ruminate instead of discard it..

Personally I have thoughts about hurting people, raping women ect.

but I know it is totally out of character for me, i'm a very nice person the opposite of these horrible thoughts, It's ocd? or me? the question that no one can answer

but I know it's not me..

sorry to ramble on, but keep positive and remember it's not you!

Guest Dragonfruit
..........they might be making a crude remark about someone in my head about them being poor, not very clever.  These again would be no reason, and I know this is not my character.  The thing is the more outrageous thoughts I can realise must be the condition, but I almost get more guilt from these thoughts as they appear more normal and could be down to me I worry.  Jon.

29975[/snapback]

Yep - I have these too - and they make me more upset than the stabbing etc thoughts. For the reason you've just said. With the "serious" harm thoughts I know that it's just OCD and I can accept it at such. And even though they hurt and I can't dismiss them I can recognise that they're just OCD thoughts.

But the ones where I "bitch" about people in my head I've always been more upset by because it's much harder to see those as being OCD - but they are.

Don't feel guilty - they're not thoughts that you believe and even though the OCD tries to convince you that they are - that it's your Id escaping or something (which is what my OCD tells me) - they're not.