hi, im new here

Guest morgan

hey my name is Morgan and im a guy from western canada. I'm in my second year of college and everything seems to be going right, with the exception of one thing, I am compulsively and obsessively picking at my lips. i probably did this as a child and off and on unaware of it since then. i am now 19, and this habit is absolutely not welcome in my life. its embarassing :) , and it makes me ashamed, causes me anxiety around people cause its unattractive, and sometimes i dont want to go out in public :help: . it gets me a lot of negative attention from my classmates, who just dont understand why i do it. it makes no sense to me really why it happens at all :) and im so fed up w myself for doing it and for takin so long to be aware of it and wanting to stop. :blushing: last september until december i had a full psychotic episode, and my fear of people was so intense and reality left me for a while. since the new year i am on meds and recovering and feeling less fear and more reality, i'm on antidepressants (effexor 150mg), antianxiety (ativan) and antipsychotic (zyprexa), i know this is helping me, but here i am, my lips are raw and hurt and healing but i just want to pick away at them again. now that i am aware and things are real for me i just want to stop. :) i am so glad i found this site. :) and if anybody wants to talk to me that would be so cool :grin: i've made it through 3 terms of a 4 term program at college and i almost didnt make it last term, despite psychosis and fear i passed all my courses, this term i just want to overcome this habit once and for all, but im afraid it wont go away :help: there are so many good reasons to quit, i made a list

well thanks sooo much for reading and listenin to me i am so appreciative and i hope im not rambling or anythign, i wish everyone all the best in the battle w CSP, and i'd like to talk to anyone who wants to

love and thanks

Morgan

Hi Morgan,

I don't really have anything to add to ittyk's excellent post there! except to say welcome to the board too, I'm glad you've found us :mad:. I maybe have minor CSP and also pick my lips occasionally, although I am trying hard to cut them both down. Ittyk has suggested some good distraction techniques - basically anything that keeps your hands occupied - some people find eating grapes is a good way! I try to focus on something else when I find myself starting to pick.

Hope this helps :D