Breakthough

Guest SallyB

Some of you will know that my OCD manifests itself in checking and checking and checking and rechecking. I know I'm not alone in looking at a switch, light bulb, etc etc trying to drum into my head that it is off, but never really feeling or knowing that it is, which makes me keep checking.

For some reason this morning I did things differently (yes still the same huge number of checks and still took a while) however I really reduced my anxiety and the time that I check. Normally I check by really looking at the switch etc (I try to avoid touching anything in case that means that I have accidentally turned it on which sends my anxiety and checking time sky high!!) but have to stare at it for ages before I feel that I can move on, and still always doubt whether the ???? is safely turned off.

Today I looked at the socket where I plug my hairdrier (which is always a really difficult one) and looked at it and then shut my eyes and recalled the image. It was doing this that made me believe that it was off. Somehow seeing the image in my memory was more powerful. So I did it with everything. The back door is my nightmare - so I tried the handle - looked at my hand tugging at it and then closed my eyes and "saw" my hand tugging the handle. I don't know if I am explaining myself very well but it took all the anxiety out of my checking - and on my walk to work I could close my eyes and "see" what I had checked in my mind's eye so I had no desire to go back home and recheck.

I was so excited!! Am going to practice this and see if it helps (my OCD head is telling me that it was only once and therefore a fluke!!)

I wanted to share this with you all in case it helps anyone else. I am feeling really positive at the moment, but will keep you updated!!

Sally

Hi Sally,

That sounds great. Hope it continues to work - let us know.

It might be useful for others to try it out too :wallbash: .

I still do occasional checking - I'll see how I go at it.

Great to have a positive post :wallbash:

Take care

whitebeam

Hi Sally

I think what your doing is brilliant as you're learning to tolerate the anxiety associated with your checking and that is the key to successful CBT. Keep it up as I think it will need practice, but is certainly not a one off. Even if you don't always manage it, that doesn't mean your back to square one, far from it.

I'm delighted for you :lol2:

Catherine

Hi Sally :)

Huge well done from me too :wallbash: You are doing great :thumbup: xx

My ocd is checking too and that sounds like a good thing to try, Thankyou for posting it :thumbup: xx

Really chuffed that you're feeling positive, Keep up the great work :wallbash: and let us know how you're getting on :D xx

Take care

Love Bluexx