Just OCD "What if", or true?

Guest Jimbo

Hi all,

I just thought I'd add a real countdown conundrem for you all.

I have contaminiation fears but fortunately for me they are in check, I also have health worries.

So if a 30 man said to you he had problems with his bowels and he was worried he had cancer what would you say?

The answer we'd give on the forum is simple. "It's probably nothing to worry about but check it out with your gp"

My friend is that man and he has colon cancer. The consultant says he's probably had it for 2 - 3 years. He had blood in his stools from septmeber. He got it looked at straight away and went private when a blood test came back slightly unusual. He's got 5 weeks of radio and chemo therapy followed by an operation to remove the cancer and give him a colostomy (?) bag, followed by 5 more weeks of radio and chemo therapy. The prognosis is good as there are no sign of secondaries which usually go to the liver in this case. If it gets there you are preety much brown bread.

My advice to anyone with health worries who has OCD. Errr on the side of caution. Talk to your GP and if you really think something is worng push the point, it's better to be safe than dead. If you think it is an irrational fear than wait for minor symtoms but for god sake if anything major goes wrong don't just think it is the ocd, get it checked out by the people that know.

I'll keep everything crossed for my friend to make sure the prognosis is right.

Jimbo.

Hi Jimbo,

Sorry to hear about your friend - hope things go well for him.

My brother-in-law (42ish) had chemo last year as a result of testicular cancer (one of the easier ones to tackle operation wise) and although the chemo made him pretty ill, he's now well on the road to recovery.

My sister-in-law (39) is currently having chemo after a mastectomy for breast cancer. We are keeping everything crossed for her - she seems to be coping well.

I just guess I'm adding to your post to agree with you - these things do happen to young people too, so if you have any such fears it is best to get it checked out - as you said, 'better safe than dead'.

I really hope all goes well for your friend and that he is coping with the treatment OK.

best wishes

whitebeam