Lip Biting

Guest Blondie

Guest Blondie

For a few months now I havent been able to stop picking my lip, i pick it so much that it starts bleeding, lately, I have managed to stop but am unable to stop pulling out my eyelashes, not all of them, just certain ones, i try to stop but something in my head tells me to carry on, the other day, i tried to take an overdose of sleeping tablets, to stop me from doing these silly obsessions but it didnt work. I live with my mum and i havent told her how i have been feeling but she knows I am not myself. I dont know who to turn to to help me stop. can anyone help?

Guest MajesticShannon

hi blondie,

have you spoken to your gp about this?? Although its difficult to go, they can usually give some very constructive advice. Also, maybe you should tell your mum just how you are feeling. If you are feeling low, your mum will want to help you as much as possible. :thumbup:

Hi Blondie,

welcome to the board :hug:.

I pick at my lip too and bite it as well. I am trying to stop but it seems to have become a bit of a habit for me, although I am having some success with it. The way that I have tried to stop is that when I realise I am picking it I try to make a conscious decision to stop and to do something else. Try keeping your hands busy with something else e.g. knitting has worked well for another user on here, read a magazine, go on the computer, play the piano/guitar, do some sport etc etc.

Another way to perhaps stop is to maybe put something nice and soothing ie some sort of lip balm onto your lip when you feel like picking it.

the other day, i tried to take an overdose of sleeping tablets, to stop me from doing these silly obsessions but it didnt work. I live with my mum and i havent told her how i have been feeling but she knows I am not myself. I dont know who to turn to to help me stop. can anyone help?

:) I'm so sorry you felt so bad that you took an overdose. Back in November I took an overdose and ended up in hospital for a couple of days and then a few weeks ago I took another, smaller one. It is important for you to get some help because feelings like this are very difficult to get over on your own. Could you try to see your GP about this, as they could refer you to someone who could hopefully help you to work through this. If you ever feel tempted to do anything like that again, please please please don't. Talk to your mum, phone somebody, go to A&E, phone the Samaritans.

Look after yourself.

Hi, I started picking my bottom lip a few months ago and I find it difficult to stop. It's only if I keep my hands busy and my mind occupied that I can make it stop although sometimes I start picking at it with my teeth. I try to put vaseline on it every night to ensure it stays moists as once it is healed up properly I don't think I will pick at it. It's just because the skin is hanging.

I 've always had a thing about flaky skin where I have to pull it off whether it was scabs when I was younger or when I get sunburnt and the skin peels. Wow, it feels great to pick at peeling skin and I find it VERY satisfying when I pull off a lovely big piece and then look at it really closely (I know it sounds like some kind of fetish!!)but I have to restrain myself especially if I'm out in summer and someone is near me with flaky skin. I just want to reach over and pull it off for them. I have to just move and get away from them. :hug: It's hard but try and keep busy. I find the worse time for me is when I'm watching tv or now for example, I am busy typing but I'm chewing on my lip at the same time. I'm trying to stop as I want to start nipping new ocd things in the bud and I've found advice on skin picking threads useful too.

• 1 month later...
Guest flower

i pick my top lip until it bleeds as well, but i never thought it was anything to do with OCD or related to it. i allways thought i was wierd of doing it. i used to do it when i was little and my parents would allways tell me off, but i could stop. i thought i was the only one.

Hi, I started picking my bottom lip a few months ago and I find it difficult to stop.  It's only if I keep my hands busy and my mind occupied that I can make it stop although sometimes I start picking at it with my teeth. I try to put vaseline on it every night to ensure it stays moists as once it is healed up properly I don't think I will pick at it.  It's just because the skin is hanging. 

I 've always had a thing about flaky skin where I have to pull it off whether it was scabs when I was younger or when I get sunburnt and the skin peels.  Wow, it feels great to pick at peeling skin and I find it VERY satisfying when I pull off a lovely big piece and then look at it really closely (I know it sounds like some kind of fetish!!)but I have to restrain myself especially if I'm out in summer and someone is near me with flaky skin.  I just want to reach over and pull it off for them. I have to just move and get away from them.  :censored: It's hard but try and keep busy. I find the worse time for me is when I'm watching tv or now for example, I am busy typing but I'm chewing on my lip at the same time.  I'm trying to stop as I want to start nipping new ocd things in the bud and I've found advice on skin picking threads useful too.

30696[/snapback]

Guest SallyB

Flower,

I bite my lips too - in fact they have been in a dreadful state for about 6 months now - so much so that they bleed and I am really embarrassed about them.

Yesterday I went and got myself some lip balm from Lush (my favourite shop to treat myself at the moment!) and made sure I put plenty on every time I got chance (and just before bed) and my lips do feel a lot better today. In fact I haven't had the urge to bite them yet today.

It might be worth trying to get something that you like and put it on your lips (even if it is only at bedtime).

Sally

Guest flower

i have tried that and for me it only lasts a few hours then i start again but ill try dojg it before bed time. thanks!

Flower,

I bite my lips too - in fact they have been in a dreadful state for about 6 months now - so much so that they bleed and I am really embarrassed about them.

Yesterday I went and got myself some lip balm from Lush (my favourite shop to treat myself at the moment!) and made sure I put plenty on every time I got chance (and just before bed) and my lips do feel a lot better today.  In fact I haven't had the urge to bite them yet today.

It might be worth trying to get something that you like and put it on your lips (even if it is only at bedtime). 

Sally

34905[/snapback]