Did? Didnt I?

Hi there, me - again :)

I see that some posts, regarding obsessive thoughts, are when people fear that they might do something. Does anybody have it the other way when they fear that they have done something?

I have got what I think is a good memory, yet my 'thought' today is about something from last nite, and I think did I do that or not? I know I didnt but what if I did and so on :)

Guest cilla930

hi ooba, this is ocd playing with you ,especially with the wot if,i get this all the time ,and blieve me when this 1 goes it will follow with another 1 .

it does this to make u anxious but u know u did,nt do anything so keep telling it this and eventually it will ease.

u will feel better and ocd does come in waves of waxes and wanes.

hope this has helped

from a ocd friend cillaxxxx

Hi there,

Just to ditto what Cilla said really. God knows how many times i have had these thoughts. The last real episode was at Xmas where i wondered in Xmas day if i had attacked someone on the bus on the way home from having a night out with my friends on Xmas eve. Now i know i didnt, but my god did i worry about it. To the point of even checking the local press to see if there were any incidents.

I guess what this event shows is the changing nature of ocd. It is not a flavour of it i get so often, but it does show when you are in control of one aspect, the imp of the mind likes to introduce another.

See ya

Adam

Guest Doubter

hi

I know exactly what you mean, as this has been my main obsession for quite awhile. I'm ok when i'm around people (mostly) but before and after I get thoughts that i might have done or said something innapropriate. It could be something simple like being rude or the extremes like did i expose myself or attack someone. Deep down i know i haven't done these things but the thoughts are so constant that i start to doubt myself and end up going over conversations and trying to remember every moment of the day to see if i did or said anything wrong. This has caused me real problems with regards to my social life (i don't have one). I recently met up with a friend :) after avoiding my friends for the past 6 or 7 months so hopefuly things will improve.

Doubter

Hi there,I know exactly what you mean.Every day is a struggle,not to think of anything is so hard,and I think that there lies the problem.If somebody were to say I'll give you a million pounds if you don't think of anything all day,I bet you would go home dissapointed,because it is impossible for anyone to do that,let alone people with ocd.It is a very cruel thing this,but as long as we can talk on here,I find that it is a lifeline to me,even if I never believe anyone when they say you haven't done anything!Please don't think you are abnormal because there are many of us.Just read my thread from last night.Take care, Thelma.

HI,

i hear you! this has been my major (almost only) form of OCD. i've written a bit about it on the testimonials board of the OCD center (under the name of Andrew). it is actually quite straightforward to manage, though as ever there is no cure that i know of.

FACT

If you've done something BIG you know you've done it. This is not about 'memory' or remembering -- you don't need to remember to 'know' you did something -- you just know. TEST THIS FOR YOURSELF: DON'T BELIEVE ME

WITH THIS ASSURANCE IN PLACE, STOP ALL MENTAL ACTIVITY THAT SEEKS TO ANSWER YOUR DOUBTS, FEELINGS OF GUILT. THESE ARE COMPULSIONS THAT SEEK REASSURANCE. LEARN TO RIDE OUT THE THOUGHTS OF 'DID I' WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT THEM.

DON'T KEEP TESTING THE FACT ABOVE, OR KEEP REMINDING YOURSELF OF IT. This turns *ASSURANCE* into *REASSURANCE*. REASSURANCE DOESN'T WORK.

WHAT'S THE ALTERNATIVE?

You may spend the rest of your life in mental compulsions.

ANY TIPS

When the obsessions hit welcome them in, like guests at the door. Or do something lovely for someone else, even just making them a cup of tea or coffee.

IS IT 100% CERTAIN I DID'NT DO SOMETHING AWFUL

No its not 100% certain. That's because its not 100% certain for anyone, ever, even if they say it is. But realise that: just because you're seeing images in your mind and feeling guilty, this doesn't have any relevance to the likelihood that you have, or will, do things you find unacceptable.

Cheers,

WH

Guest MajesticShannon

Hi WH,

i read your story on the ocd centre site, which prompted me to go there to get treatment myself. I was shocked about how many people have this sort of ocd, and was the first time i could say 'yup, thats just like me'. So a big thanks for taking the time to write your account on there in the first place :clover:

Ooba, the thread 'getting worse again' may help a little with this kind of problem. WH, i'll copy your post and stick it on there, think it will be useful for smudger and others to read it -

cheers. MS

Guest Smudger

FACT

If you've done something BIG you know you've done it.  This is not about 'memory' or remembering -- you don't need to remember to 'know' you did something -- you just know.  TEST THIS FOR YOURSELF: DON'T BELIEVE ME

31862[/snapback]

Hi wh :clover:

We spoke when I first joined this board last year-how have you been?

With regards to the part of your post I've quoted above, I think the problem for a lot of us who suffer in this way is that it does feel like we know we've done something and we just can't recall it-I know with me it's a combination of knowing I'd beeen drinking (in reference to my own worry), and the thought/belief that my brain is somehow trying to protect me from the awful truth, because once I acknowledge for certain that I did do wrong, I'll have nowhere left to hide.

Don't get me wrong, what you wrote was spot-on, I'm just trying to illustrate where a lot of us get tripped up. Even writing this I know that it's exactly what you describe in the quote-I suppose I'm just saying that the uncertainty is the killer.

That makes no sense, because all I've done is re-explain what you said, only in a long-winded and confusing way.

I hate this.

Hey WH!

It's so nice to see you around. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: Great post! :clover:

i read your story on the ocd centre site, which prompted me to go there to get treatment myself.

Your story was also one of the things that helped me take the huge step of going to the ocd centre. I have sent you a pm, hope you are well.

Take care,

Alpha

Guest whirlwind
Hi there, me - again :lol:

I see that some posts, regarding obsessive thoughts, are when people fear that they might do something. Does anybody have it the other way when they fear that they have done something?

I have got what I think is a good memory, yet my 'thought' today is about something from last nite, and I think did I do that or not? I know I didnt but what if I did and so on  :wallbash:

31135[/snapback]

That happens to me alot of the time - to the point sometimes I cant tell reality from fiction :help: