OCD with overvalued ideas

Guest lilyelspeth
I'm still not sure what it means.....and I'm actually a brunette  :lol:

31519[/snapback]

:censored:

For example:

"Overvalue ideation refers to the strength of one's belief in the cognitions/thoughts related to the obsessions and compulsions. The stronger one's belief in the reality basis of one's fear, the more difficult it is to treat the compulsion...Overvalue ideators believe that the disastrous consequences of not engaging in the compulsion are more likely to occur than not." OI is often seen in those with BDD.

Hope that helps.

I have heard that the ocd sufferes with overvalued ideas can still be helped but it is said that they should get skilled cognitive therapy to delegitimize their fears before getting into exposure and response prevention as they seem to be less likely to engage in E& R work while they hold on to the idea that their thoughts and worries are legitimate!

Have aslo heard that these sufferes are more likely to be put on medications! waul

Guest Fountainlair
Aren't most OCD obsessions and thoughts over-valued. We over-value eg the strength of germs and their ability to spread, or am I being a bit blonde too  :lol:

31556[/snapback]

no I think you're right whitebeam

I think what Ashie meant(this is my opinion)that people with a firm set of beliefs will go out of their way to prove that their ideas are right,like a self fulfilling prophecy.And that solidifies their opinions, in their view.

I hope I'm right :omg:

Guest lilyelspeth
Aren't most OCD obsessions and thoughts over-valued. We over-value eg the strength of germs and their ability to spread, or am I being a bit blonde too  :lol:

31556[/snapback]

no I think you're right whitebeam

I think what Ashie meant(this is my opinion)that people with a firm set of beliefs will go out of their way to prove that their ideas are right,like a self fulfilling prophecy.And that solidifies their opinions, in their view.

I hope I'm right :omg:

31559[/snapback]

Exactly.