Incapacity Benefit form - renewal

Guest wendy_04

Guest wendy_04

I'm feeling a bit down today as I received a renewal form (IB50) for my benefits. It always seems so much more depressing when you have to sit down and write what's wrong with you and you re-read it and think "God, is that really who I am". Now also when I send it in I will sit worrying about if I've given enough info because I don't want to have to have a medical examination. It's all such a nightmare

I'm feeling a bit down today as I received a renewal form (IB50) for my benefits. It always seems so much more depressing when you have to sit down and write what's wrong with you and you re-read it and think "God, is that really who I am". Now also when I send it in I will sit worrying about if I've given enough info because I don't want to have to have a medical examination. It's all such a nightmare

31481[/snapback]

Your post has reminded me that my Incapacity Benefit renewal must be close.

I found the whole situation quite depressing too and agree with how you feel when you read what you've written.

Fortunately my GP has been very sympathetic and what he wrote meant I didn't have to have an examination. I'm now a lot better - but still don't feel able to work yet; I'm hoping I won't need to have an examination this time as well.

I found the whole visit to the Job Centre very distressing and ended up in tears :blushing: so my meeting with the man who was going to talk about potential work was very short!!

Good luck with your application.

Guest Beckett93

I know what you all are going through. I saw my doctor last Monday and he told me to consider vocational rehabilitation, which is for people with physical or psychiatric disabilities. To be thought of as "disabled" just opened up all the old self-esteem wounds. And Wendy, your OCD is not who you are. You are a person who just happens to have OCD and for right now, you need incapacity benefits. It's a kick to the ego, believe me, I know, but once when I was complaining to my doctor how small I felt when explaining to people whatever became of me, he asked me if I would feel like losing a leg in a car accident reflected poorly on me as a person. I said no, I would have no control over the accident. He said that this was similar. I had no choice in having OCD and there was no reason to go around beating myself up over it. We might not always be able to see it, but everyone has their crosses to bear, so none of us are ever really alone. I went to the university with a girl who was both bi-polar and schizophrenic. That really helped me put my own problem in perspective. Sure, it still hurts to be disabled, but if a person who has lost a leg can get a prosthetic leg and run a marathon, we can all control our OCD to the point where it doesn't incapacitate us so much any longer. In the meantime, try not to feel so bad about needing benefits. You are a good person who just had something unexpected happen. It will be alright and I hope you get to feeling better soon :blushing:

I know exactly how you feel. They stopped my benefits at the beginning of January but because I can hardly get out of the house I hadn't been to the bank to find this out until the end of January. I 'phoned them up and asked them why and they said that my incapacity renewal form hadn't been filled in. That was because I couldn't go back to my flat to get it as I never have alot of time due to too much washing and cleaning. I was furious that they'd stopped it. I had to go straight down to the office and fill in the form there and then. They know I'm disabled and I feel entitled to my money as I work harder than the average 9-5 person. At least they get weekends off. I rarely ever get a break so I don't mind being classed as disabled.

But it really annoys me when they make me attend interviews when I have difficulty getting out the house, sitting in chairs that other people have sat on and they have the cheek to try and get me to work even if it's from home which is impossible as I always tell them. I ranted on the last time I went to see them that if more money were put into the mental health system then I could get better and they wouldn't have to pay me any benefit and that if they wanted me to work so badly why don't they pay for some help for me. That was three years ago - I haven't been asked to attend an interview since! :lol2: