There's more to this than I thought!

Guest Richard28

Guest Richard28

Hi all!

Its my first time doing this. Came to some pretty big conclusions this weekend. After thinking that my OCD was a thing a of the past and that it only really affected me a small bit now (checking the gas wasn't on when leaving the house, that spark that I thought I saw wouldn't electricute someone etc.) I have finally realised (with some help from the web site) that it has really affect my life in more ways than previously thought.

My whole cautious approach to everything, my perfectionism, my worrying and fearing everything... (the list could go on and on) is all OCD. Now that I have realised that, its time to start dealing with it because life is too short for all this cr*p. Simplier said than done though I know - just got to keep chipping away at all of this stuff.

Any thoughts on this would be good.

thanks and much respect to you all for being on this site and wanting a better life! :lol: :censored:

R.

P.S. Like the smily faces!

Now that I have realised that, its time to start dealing with it because life is too short for all this cr*p. Simplier said than done though I know - just got to keep chipping away at all of this stuff.

31565[/snapback]

:lol:

Guest Beckett93

Hi Richard and welcome :) Good for you on standing up to the OCD and wanting to take your life back from it! As you wrote, it's easier said than done, but you can do it. I wish you all the best in your recovery.

Guest ace of base fan

yes good luck richard with taking control of your life and not letting ocd control it.yes it is easier said than done i have really been trying this year to be more positive about life and all the thoughts that go through my head and the anxiety i have over such stupid things and i think im doing quite well but thing is when you do have a bad day or week with ocd dont let it get you down or think that you have failed because we are only human and cant be perfect all of the time,good luck :grin:

Guest Richard28

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Its been weird over the past few days since I came to the conclusion about how much of my life is OCD at present. Throughout the day I'll do only the smallest thing and realise 'ahh thats my OCD'. It really is more than just the big things like the checking - its as much the other thoughts too.

I have also thought a lot about what I use to escape from the stress and wondered what others do. I use comfort eating, alcohol, caffine, films and books. The latter are the healthier of them all - but the harder ones for me to use (I am lazy in some respects). The former sometimes work but other times have the opposite effect and make things worse. Anyone else have this?

I am hoping to get back more into sport and use this over the summer months - too cold outside now and I only play a bit of indoor tennis now.

I have used some forms of treatment - but not for many years now. Need to give this some thought. Thanks for the links ittyk :crybaby: Will look at those when I have more time and am more awake.

So how about everyone else - what do you use for escape?

Yours with respect :)

Richard

Hi Richard,

Nice to 'meet' you. I'm really glad that you're finding the board helpful.

So how about everyone else - what do you use for escape?

31745[/snapback]

Unfortunately - alcohol mainly ;) . Comfort eating and caffeine come high on the list too, also watching television etc.

I'm usually quite relieved when it gets to 7.30 or 8.00 as that's when my TV watching starts (good old Eastenders) and I usually find things to watch through to about 10.00.

I have very good intentions about getting fit; I do occasionally manage a walk but have yet to get out jogging which I've been promising myself for ages - I'm determined to get fit enough to run in the Flora run if any others are doing it this year :) .