Advice needed

Guest Jalvo

Speaking of awareness:

I have been wanting to do this for a while, but I can't make up my mind if it is totally ridiculous or actually a very good idea.

I am pretty well known in a certain creative community in my country where I am also running a board like this with about 3000 members. Most of my friends and colleagues are hanging out there as well as potential employers and clients.

So far only my nearest family knows about my OCD. But now I feel like a want to write something about it there; to talk about it and inform people what it is in a proper way. Hand out the facts if you like. And perhaps help others getting on the right track (remember, lots of creative people suffer from it).

Am I nuts?

Guest Beckett93

I do not think you are nuts. It is great that you want to help others by writing about OCD, to increase awareness and disspell all the myths. I think you should consult with your family and see what they think. Are you going to identify yourself as an OCD sufferer? It is possible that could affect some of your friendships. OCD is nothing to be ashamed of, but some people might not understand, in spite of your best efforts to help them understand. No matter what you decide, I wish you all the best :)

I would mention that I am a sufferer (perhaps not the degree or in details).

And I would probably spend a week making the text right - not to cause any misunderstandings - but making it clear and proper and serious.

I don't think it would affect my friendships, they would know me for who I am already. Others would still know me from the board or from meeting me at the gatherings we have.

I just thought that, since I am in charge and "everyone" knows my name and what I stand for already (and I have the impression I'm consdered a decent, respectable guy there; perhaps even admired because of what I do (sounds very silly now, but people dig my work it seems like from the feedback I get)) I would be a good spokesman for OCD. A respected administrator of a popular board having something weird as OCD (and nobody noticed). It would be a surprise for many, but because of this they would perhaps take it serious.

Or?

Guest lilyelspeth

I think it is very important that people become aware and begin to see the "real face" of this disorder. If you are sure you want to allow people to know this about you, then why not? I've started to let people become aware in my creative community and it has been very positive. It is the first time in my life that I feel people are open and willing to listen.

At any choice, I hope you do what is right for you! ;)

I just thought that, since I am in charge and "everyone" knows my name and what I stand for already (and I have the impression I'm consdered a decent, respectable guy there; perhaps even admired because of what I do (sounds very silly now, but people dig my work it seems like from the feedback I get)) I would be a good spokesman for OCD.

31769[/snapback]

Hi Jalvo, I think it sounds like a really positive way of putting OCD 'out there'.

As you say, they already know you, what you do and so on. I think probably most people will think more of you as you are doing what you do (creative wise), running this board etc. despite having OCD.

You probably will find that some others who use your board are sufferers too.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Take care

whitebeam