How long did you wait for CBT?

Nice and simple thread, I want to see how long you had to wait for CBT to start and what form the therapy takes, also which area of the UK you are from, so for example...

Nottingham - 6 weeks (one on one or Group CBT)

Hi,

If you meant NHS & Private....this is private treatment at The Priory. I had my Psychiatrist appointment On 7th of February, and my first Therapy session is booked for this Thursday....

Ooba xxxx

31851[/snapback]

No, just NHS at the moment, I am trying to find out if there are good and nad areas in the country for waiting times.

I have never had cbt treatment as there are none available where I live. I lived in Fife in Scotland and the waiting list for a psychologist is 2 years. So I changed health practices to Clackmannanshire where my boyfriend lives and the waiting list for a psychologist here is 18 months. Again though there are no cbt therapists, only psychologists and psychiatrists. The psychologists I have had have never used cbt and I have never had it. They have only used Expostuer and Response Prevention which has never worked for me as my obsessions just move on to something else and so never go away. I've also had to undertake the exposure on my own and just check in with the psychologist 2 weeks after. I don't know why they think this will work as if it were simply a case of going home and facing up to things I surely would have done it before without their help. They really do not have a clue up here and I have never been given any help in dealing with my anxiety during ERP other than being told to "just relax" and I have never been given any alternative ideas to change my thinking patterns.

Basically psychologists up here in my experience have no idea how to treat ocd and I am so glad that a conference is being held here and I really hope alot of psychologists and therapists turn up as they seriously need some training. :thumbup::thumbup:

Sorry I forgot to add, I've only seen psychologists up here for a maximum of three months. The emphasis up here is very much a case of "if we can't help you in the short term then we don't want to know and we'll move on to someone we can help". It's disgraceful and really makes me annnoyed. Especially when you think that I'm not seeing the psychologist every single week. I'm talking about every 2 or 3 weeks which over 3 months mean I only really see one for about 6 times. I hope Fife is the worst as I would hate to think that anywhere else has it this bad. I don't know how long I'll be seeing the psychologist I have now in the Clackmannanshire area but so far I haven't made much progress and there is no structure and no cbt.

On the plus side I did the radio interview for Radio Scotland and the people there were very nice and understanding. They really cared about the issue and the interviewers will be at the conference to interview jeffrey schwartz and they're going to follow me around a supermarket to see how the ocd affects things in a real life situation. They will also sit in on my next psychology session in 3 weeks. I feel like I've not just come out of the closet with my ocd but I've thrown open the doors to the closet with a big bang and ran out screaming! :lol2:

On the plus side I did the radio interview for Radio Scotland and the people there were very nice and understanding.  They really cared about the issue and the interviewers will be at the conference to interview jeffrey schwartz and they're going to follow me around a supermarket to see how the ocd affects things in a real life situation.

31897[/snapback]

Wow thats excellent, well done you :thumbup: They are indeed due to interview Dr Schwartz and the Scotsman on Sunday will also run an OCD piece this coming week.

I do know that we have 2 or 3 psychologists coming along, they are new but seem to really care and eager to learn and from what I can see already know their stuff. Not sure where in scotland they are but one of our other board members is being treated by one of them and speaks highly :thumbup:

Great Ashie, I hope I get to meet them. I think I'll kiss their feet!  I can't wait for this conference. I'm hoping it will be the lifeline that my boyfriend and I desperately need.  We are pinning alot of hopes on this.

31904[/snapback]

Well, I would not call it a lifeline, but I guarantee you will meet some amazing people and they will give you the hope and strength to keep fighting. So I would prefer to say this is more the positive start for people :thumbup:

Rest assured that we are already working on a second Scottish conference, if not this next year.

Guest twoshoes

1997/1998 Cannock Staffordshire, less than 2 months wait, 1-on-1 with clinical Psycologist. Treated for as long as needed. When thigs got bad again referal to a CPN to help and support me within 3 weeks.

2004 Hyde Cheshire, told at least 3 months wait. I started kicking up a fuss because I was getting worse and I was seen by a CBT therapist within 6 weeks of kicking up a fuss but the wait was about 4 months overall.

Guest Dragonfruit
On the plus side I did the radio interview for Radio Scotland and the people there were very nice and understanding.  They really cared about the issue and the interviewers will be at the conference to interview jeffrey schwartz and they're going to follow me around a supermarket to see how the ocd affects things in a real life situation. They will also sit in on my next psychology session in 3 weeks.  I feel like I've not just come out of the closet with my ocd but I've thrown open the doors to the closet with a big bang and ran out screaming! :lol2:

31897[/snapback]

That's fab!! Well done you! :thumbup:

I went to the Dr just after Christmas and have got my initial assessment appointment on 17 March. That felt quite quick, but I think that it is a long wait until the actual CBT starts.

Sally

Guest whirlwind

I was told 12 - 18 months in Mid Essex but after 3 months of waiting and life threatening illness I had complete breakdown and went as day patient and got my CBT and other therapies that way. :huh: