Stopping the mental illness stigma

Guest Beth

I was watching MTV and saw an advert about a cartoon teenage girl who has body dysmoprhic disorder, and people noticed she was getting thinner and so they teased her and ignored her. It was created by justlikeme.org.uk and advertises www.seemescotland.org.

These websites aim to stop the stigma attached to mental illnesses and allow people to write their own stories on the site to tell people of their experiences, and writing about it can help.

I just thought I'd let everyone know as I think it is great there is a site that is aiming to help people with mental illnesses. It is also great that they are taking action to achieve this by advertising cartoons on MTV and Channel 4, cartoons that will appeal to people and catch peoples eyes. They have also done previous advertisements before which I think are effective. I only hope they succeed in what they aim to do and they have my full support, I will do what I can to stop the stigma surrounding mental illnesses.

I hope you support them too, please visit their site, it's worth the look.

Beth

Hi Beth,

Thanks for sharing the website info on here. I have seen a little bit re: these sites, and it goes without saying that any gesture such as these is a step in the right direction. It is however kinda sad that it is MTV and Channel 4 that are mainly pushing these activities. Not detracting from their contribution, but i also feel that there is a place for them also on ITV, BBC and Sky and not just at times of the day when they will placed in more 'minor' slots.

Adam

I agree, I'd love to see these adverts on mainstream television during prime time tv. Imagine how may people would see it during Coronation Street or a Premiership football match. I really think this is a step in the right direction, and it helped me when I wrote how I felt and I'm glad my story is on the see me site because just knowing one person may gain some awareness from it is great.

Beth

Guest Dragonfruit

I'd have to pay more attention to be 100% sure - but we've had these ads up in Scotland for over a year now - and I'm sure they are also on ITV.

I'm fairly sure that they are on during primetime TV - but like I said I'd have to watch some more TV to be sure - I know I've seen the advert you mentioned three times so far this week and I've only watched a couple of hours of TV!

There are lots of non-cartoon adverts too in the seeme campaign - for things like anorexia and schizophrenia - they're also on buses and billboards up here as well.

It's a good campaign - but I'm not convinced it's made a huge difference to people's attitudes unfortunately.

I think it's new in England, but the organisation is based in Scotland so thats why you've seen them for longer. I hope they are effective and work to get rid of the stigma, it would help so many people if it worked.

Guest Brainstrain

Hi all

Beth, I just put my story on the website and I read yours too. You make some really good points and sound really strong. The more people that know about what we go through the better.

Brainstrain :hug:

thanx, it was nice to write it thinkin it could help raise awareness. Also the guy who puts them on the site said it was strong and a powerful and

articulate style that could get the campaign's aims across to individuals and it made me so happy to hear that even if it wasn't true and i need to be able to believe we can give clarity to those who don't understand.

Nxt time I visit the site(won't be too long away)I'll be sure to read your entry.

Beth

I'm struggling to remember where (Think it must have been ITV) because I don't have Sky, Channel 5 etc...but unless I'm dreaming I've seen an advert on mainstream TV about mental health awareness, featuring OCD....it featured a Vet, does anyone else recall seeing it or was I dreaming?

Hmmm living in the West of England (and from the South), I don't ever recall seeing any of these adverts mentioned and I've never heard of the seeme campaign.

I hope it does catch on here though - it would be good!!

Love Andrea

xx

No, I've never seen any of these adverts - but they sound a good idea. From what you said, ittyk, they were an effective way of getting the info etc across :wallbash: .

As to the vet, Caramoole, someone told me they'd seen an ad about someone with OCD being a vet. I never saw it myself and from what I remember she said it was on cable. She also seemed to think it was an ad for a forthcoming programme.

I think ocd has been in the media a lot recently. I keep watching programmes where it's cropping up, Emmerdale, ER and someone even mentioned it in a Wife Swap. I think it's great it's getting the publicity especially with the Aviator, and so hopefully it will have a great effect of raising awareness. I just hope it doesn't become 'trendy' you'd be amazed what teenagers will pretend to have or be to be fashionable, i know i've seen it happen.

Really hope See Me continues to work, it is obviously working in Scotland and now that it's begun in England hopefully it will help where I'm from.

Beth

Thanx ittyk for saying my story was good, i'm grateful people are reading it and taking in how mental illnesses affect people, and how some people view it.

I think ocd has been in the media a lot recently. I keep watching programmes where it's cropping up, Emmerdale, ER and someone even mentioned it in a Wife Swap.

I've noticed it a lot lately too.

Does anybody watch Desperate Housewives? I think Bree has OCD. It's not been mentioned anywhere, but there have been certain incidents where I have found myself sat there thinking "she must have it".