ocd restrictions

Guest Tulsas

I find it very hard to go inside a church because of my ocd...the reason is because I tend to have swear words and blasphemous thoughts go through my head and to me this is unforgiveable.Even for weddings...I have even become a disbeliver in God to try and cancel out my thoughts but to no avail..Is there places or things you find you cannot do that restrict you in life because of ocd........

Guest Fountainlair

OCD is a generally restricting disorder,a lot of things at home are restricted,due to my specific OCD

Its difficult to tell yourself

"it's just a thought" which is what it is really.

Many years ago I remember a pyschologist telling me that he had a Vicar who had this same problem, imagine how difficult that is :huh:

And some years back I had a similar problem with funerals. I live opposite a Church and one day there was a funeral being held and for some reason, quite out of the blue, I suddenly became worried that I would 'do something' and disrupt the funeral :omg: :wallbash: Not even quite sure what I thought I was going to do.

The general fear with OCD though, is that you would lose control and do something that in reality you would hate to do and never would do, hence it's so distressing.

Fortunately it was short lived. If I saw a funeral instead of rushing away to the other side of the house, I'd purposely clean a window so I had to look out, or go out to the garden, or go to the shop walking directly past the Church. This fear quickly burnt out.

I think we all need to be vigilant about new obsessive fears and like I did nip it in the bud immediately, rather than shrinking away and allowing it to grow into a monster. We can't eradicate all the established behaviours at one stroke but it's worth being on the look out to prevent more and more behaviours taking hold.

Unfortunately Tulsas, the treatment is the same for your fear. You need to set up a hierarchy of your fears, starting with the least and then expose yourself to it.

Is it just being in Church, or is it anything religious? Could you start with visiting the Church yard and staying there until the anxiety lessens. Next maybe visit the Church when it's open but not having a service and build up, facing the anxiety until it lessens.

Hope you can begin to work towards beating this, everyone is here to help you through the tough bits and give you support and encouragement.

Good Luck :lol:

Hi Tulsas,

I like Caramoole's ideas re: responding to this. Nevertheless as it seems that what you suffer from is pure 'o' thinking in which the compulsion is to perhaps mentally put things right you might want to try something which is perhaps not as physical.

With the distressing thoughts that develop around pure 'o' thinking the logical thing to do is to try and mentally correct them. when you look at the church you are more or less presented with an opposite image of what you actually believe in. But as you try to fight this image you just reinforce it. And you cannot outlogic ocd, particularly pure o thinking.

You know yourself that this thoughts are unreasonable and not how you live your life. As they are distorted thoughts one approach to treatment is to distort them even further. Make them sound silly and unreasonable. OCD hates it when you do not indulge it.

Mastering such skills are however extremely difficult, and in upsetting situations you can times that by 100. But i guess it is another tool that you have open to you in terms of beating this.

Take care

Adam

Guest summerleft

morning Tulsas

My OCD is very wide ranging i tend to get a dose of alot of the obbsessions

I went to a freinds funeral and wedding and all the time id get the swear words just popping into my head i felt awful i even thought bad thoughts about the person who died

But i one day realised that God would realise tht i had a probelm and i actually kind of told him i ddint mean it while i was in church

the next day i lost my job then my bf dumped me it was like i was being punished BUT and underline that but several times this was the best thing that ever happened to me i later met my partner my best freind and got another job which paid so much more!!!!!

so dont worry although its painful you know deep down you dont mean it and you wont be judged by anyone :wallbash:

Guest Dragonfruit

Hi Tulsas

I find it very hard to go inside a church because of my ocd...the reason is because I tend to have swear words and blasphemous thoughts go through my head and to me this is unforgiveable.Even for weddings...I have even become a disbeliver in God to try and cancel out my thoughts but to no avail..Is there places or things you find you cannot do that restrict you in life because of ocd........

32190[/snapback]

Although I'm not a church-goer I do have certain religious obsessions. If I or anyone around me blasphemes I have to apologise for it. Even though I'm not particularly religious I can't settle until I have apologised. Or at least I didn't used to be able to.

Now I do something similar to summerleft:

summerleft Posted Today, 11:36 AM

But i one day realised that God would realise tht i had a probelm and i actually kind of told him i ddint mean it while i was in church

To begin with I would have the thought that I should apologise and instead of apologising I would simply say to myself - if God does not exist then the blaspheming hurts and offends no-one (presuming there was no-one else around to be affected) BUT if God does exist He will understand that the thoughts are not my beliefs and that I'm upset by them and will not need me to apologise because He will know the truth without needing to be told.

After a while the "need" to apologise kind of decreased - it's still there to an extent - but I don't indulge it anymore.

Don't know if this will help you at all - but I hope it does :wallbash: