Question

Guest ocd13

Hi guys,

I've put this into a new thread cos I'm not sure if anyone saw my question in the old thread...?? Let me know your opinions if you can:

I am confused... If us OCD'ers get a negative thought in our heads and we don't want it, are we supposed to turn the thought into a positive one (to retrain our subconscious minds), or are we supposed to just tell ourselves it's the OCD and accept it? I have real trouble just saying "oh it's the OCD" because I would rather not have the negative thought. At the same time, if I start focusing on it, then I start to worry it's real and there's no point in fighting it!!

Help!! :help:

Guest Steviemfc

Hi Andrea,

When you get a negative thought into your head which gives you distress/anxiety, try and divert your attention to a positive thought or thing.

For example, if you are getting a thought of harming someone, try and focus on a more positive thought like winning the lottery.

Easier said than done I know.

The example Dr Shwartz gave at the conference was that if you are getting intrusive thoughts that make you want to wash your hands repeatedly in order to stop the thought, think of going out into the garden instead. Although it is hard at first to refocus attention, through time you can start to change the way your brain deals with false messages and in time you will beable to divert immediately to a positive thought.

This is when you will have the ability to say to yourself 'it's not me, it's the OCD'

Hope this helps

Stevie

I still don't get it... :)

I know that you can retrain your subconscious mind to act more positively in the same way we have conditioned it to think negatively, yet I can see this might be easier with those who don't suffer from OCD because even if they think negatively all the time, it shouldn't cause them anxiety.

Nothing seems to work with my intrusive thought. I've had the same thought for years with different people and in the past, I have tried to focus my mind on other things and keep busy, etc. but I can still feel it sat in its armchair with its legs swinging and arms folded as if to say "you're not getting rid of me woman!"...

:lol:

Guest Brainstrain
I still don't get it... :thumbup:

I know that you can retrain your subconscious mind to act more positively in the same way we have conditioned it to think negatively, yet I can see this might be easier with those who don't suffer from OCD because even if they think negatively all the time, it shouldn't cause them anxiety.

Nothing seems to work with my intrusive thought.  I've had the same thought for years with different people and in the past, I have tried to focus my mind on other things and keep busy, etc. but I can still feel it sat in its armchair with its legs swinging and arms folded as if to say "you're not getting rid of me woman!"...

:whistling:

32683[/snapback]

Hello,

I still get my thoughts all the time but what has helped me is just coming on this site really and being able to convince myself that it is just the ocd, I don't think you can ever stop having the thoughts but it is just your reaction that has to change, just saying that it's ocd and you aren't going to listen to it. Like you I have had the same pattern of intrusive thoughts for years which have just changed slightly depending on my current situation but I really feel so much better since coming on this website! Probably still doesn't help you much sorry!!

brainstrain :crybaby:

PS like the armchair analogy! It is like a squater in my mind!

Thanks Brainstrain! :crybaby:

I loved the armchair analogy as well... I made it up as I was writing it to best describe the feeling it gives me... do you think he should have been sat there with his pipe and slippers? :whistling:

Guest Brainstrain
do you think he should have been sat there with his pipe and slippers? :D

Possibly, shaking a finger at you too!

Brainstrain :)

P.S The fact that you call it a 'he' would probably be wripped to shreds by a psychiatrist!!!!

Guest ScottOCDid
Hi guys,

I've put this into a new thread cos I'm not sure if anyone saw my question in the old thread...??  Let me know your opinions if you can:

I am confused... If us OCD'ers get a negative thought in our heads and we don't want it, are we supposed to turn the thought into a positive one (to retrain our subconscious minds), or are we supposed to just tell ourselves it's the OCD and accept it? I have real trouble just saying "oh it's the OCD" because I would rather not have the negative thought. At the same time, if I start focusing on it, then I start to worry it's real and there's no point in fighting it!!

Help!!  :help:

32677[/snapback]

Hi Andrea,

As Stevie said, I understand that the approach prescribed by Dr Schwartz is to divert attention away from the OCD, rather than to try to transform the bad thought into a good one. There seems to be a consensus also that the hope shouldn't necessarily be that the negative thought will never happen, but that the negativity may be viewed in the context of being irksome rather than crushing.

Stick with it and before long, you'll have stopped the wee git in the armchair by binding his legs together, tying his arms behind his back and strapping his smug mouth shut with Duck tape. Oh yeah, and get him to sit on the floor as well.

Take care,

Scott :D

and before long, you'll have stopped the wee git in the armchair by binding his legs together, tying his arms behind his back and strapping his smug mouth shut with Duck tape.  Oh yeah, and get him to sit on the floor as well.

:thumbup: :lol2: :)

P.S The fact that you call it a 'he' would probably be wripped to shreds by a psychiatrist!!!!

32772[/snapback]

Why?? That's how I imagine it - as a he... what's wrong with that? :thumbup: