respite

Guest littlemisssunshine15

Guest littlemisssunshine15

Hi does anyone have ideas on how to get some rspite from ocd thoughts, mine are constant 24/7. i dont think there is a moment during the day/night where my ocd is present, it is driving me crazy. i would be so good just to have a few minutes without ocd getting in the way,

any help or suggestions would be so helpfull.

Guest legend

Hi little mis. its not nice when we are continually bombarded by continual thoughts grrrr.

Sometimes if we are stressed or doing too much it can act as a trigger for the ocd too worsen.

I think its also important to try and keep busy rather than sitting and doing nothing as it gives us time

to dwell.

Exercise really helps too.

What meds are you taking and have you had cbt for your ocd.

Hope you feel better soon.

legend

Hi Little Miss S!

Yea ocd is a pain and makes life very tough. When my ocd is on fire I do a few things;

1. Take prozac meds which softens its bite.

2. I try and face all my ocd thoughts, accept they are ocd and that I have ocd. I allow them to be there and don't respond to them. Basically go 'Yep, there's my ocd again', and get on with your life.

3. I do mindfulness meditation per Jon Kabat Zinn;very helpful!

4. I exercise like a demon;football, gym, yoga and cycling;oh and punchbag. I feel really good after and my mind is more at ease.

5.Accept that you cannot stop the ocd thoughts from coming, BUT you can stop responding to them, by questioning them, discussing them trying to correct or right them

I read some metaphors before, maybe on this website;

if you fall into quicksand, if you struggle and fight it you will go under BUt if you relax, face up to the danger and go with it you can escape. So if you face your ocd as against fighting and struggling with it;u remove its power!

6. Oh yea I got an orange ocd UK rubber wrist band (THANK U!) and it says 'Just a Thought',; so when my ocd triggers, I flick it against my wrist to remind myself that I have ocd.

Hope this helps you,

Tiger

Tiger: I am curious about how, specifically, you find the mindfulness meditation helps. I have a couple of Kabat-Zinn's books, and I've sort of dabbled with the meditation, but haven't yet managed to really commit to it.

Guest stormy

Tiger: I am curious about how, specifically, you find the mindfulness meditation helps. I have a couple of Kabat-Zinn's books, and I've sort of dabbled with the meditation, but haven't yet managed to really commit to it.

I would also be interested about the mindfulness...