Please can someone help me/ give me advice???

Guest greybear

Guest greybear

:blushing:

Please can someone give me advice -??? :)

I get really depressed and worried! To help my self I self-harm. I don't ever tell anyone but the thing is....I know there are more of you out there who do this 2! arent ther??

Anyway....My parents dont know that I still self harm and I feel like I have no1 2 toc 2 anymore...which is y I am seeking help now.

I can't stand watching the news about all this food thing thats on..I hated seein about the tsunami....and I hate everything thats depressing!!!

Does anyone else out there feel the same?

I have lots of 3rd year exams coming up and I dont know how I'm goin 2 cope. I'm goin 2 do rubbish which makes me even more depressed and I just get so upset! The only thing I can do is turn 2 self harm and it makes me feel realy bad.

Please can someone give me advice or tell me any experinces (dont know hot 2 spell that word! lol) that you have had!?!

Also...I can't speak 2 me best m8 cos I've tried already but she dusnt understand etc what OCD is like and about!!!

Thnx ! greybear xxxxx

Hey Greybear :welcome:

have you spoken to a doctor about how you feel? because it sounds like you could be suffering clinical depression? they could suggest a course of antidepressents if they feel it is appropriate, or more importantly offer couseling.

i know its all really scary :) but things can get better :blushing: just hang in there ok.

regarding the self harm, i know there are others on here who can perhaps give better advice than me, but maybe take a look at http://www.selfharm.org.uk/

- i don't know how useful this website is because i haven't had a proper look but it is a charity so should be fairly good! :thumbup:

regarding talking to your best friend, maybe you could print off an information sheet on the type of ocd you suffer, and ocd in general (e.g. http://www.ocduk.org/ocd/ocd.htm), and show it to her? it can be very difficult for non sufferers to understand what we go through, especially as it is not a phsyical problem with a set list of symptoms, but hopefully she will at least try to understand for your sake.

take care, and keep posting ok!

H xxx

Guest greybear
Hey Greybear  :thumbup:

have you spoken to a doctor about how you feel? because it sounds like you could be suffering clinical depression? they could suggest a course of antidepressents if they feel it is appropriate, or more importantly offer couseling.

i know its all really scary  :welcome: but things can get better  :) just hang in there ok.

regarding the self harm, i know there are others on here who can perhaps give better advice than me, but maybe take a look at http://www.selfharm.org.uk/

- i don't know how useful this website is because i haven't had a proper look but it is a charity so should be fairly good!  :thumbup:

regarding talking to your best friend, maybe you could print off an information sheet on the type of ocd you suffer, and ocd in general (e.g. http://www.ocduk.org/ocd/ocd.htm), and show it to her? it can be very difficult for non sufferers to understand what we go through, especially as it is not a phsyical problem with a set list of symptoms, but hopefully she will at least try to understand for your sake.

take care, and keep posting ok!

H xxx

33062[/snapback]

Hey ! thnx 4 the advice!!! I really appreciate it! :blushing:

I should maybe talk 2 my doctor but I don't want my parents 2 find out!

Its a tricky situation if ya get wht i mean! lol

greybear xxx

Guest Muse_Man

Hi greybear, please dont despair to much, I know its difficult, but there are other people here that feel your pain and understand what you are going through and want to help you.

Of course first of all follow the advice of those above and talk to your GP about it. But hopefully you will be able to reflect in some the experiences I went through, and the wat that I have dealt with it.

I went through exactly the same thing when it came to my exams at school. I am now at University doing a postgraduate course in MSc Urban Planning (whats that I hear you cry!).

You maybe wondering how myself as a OCD sufferer went from having exam problems to getting into University.

I want positively reassure you, however I must tell you this, that I did do very badly in my exams becuase the OCD and the thinking rituals and anxities I had to go through made it very hard for me to concentrate and revise. Feeling depressed did not help me feel like I wanted to revise.

However, this is something you can overcome, and learn from my mistakes.

Can I ask how much interference does OCD have in your school work and when you are doing exams?

Exams can cause great worry within themselves unfortunately, this is something you need to overcome by relaxing yourself before the exam and preparing yourself for the actual exam (revision, practice papers), and of course there is the usual advice for exam taking which you can get from alot of sources. I know the OCD does not help but is important to focus on:

relaxation and preparation

I know whats its like to so badly pass exams and do well and its feels that OCD is a barrier to that. In the end I had to get over the disappointment of failing exams, and it was frustrating knowing I did not have much of chance with OCD in the way.

I can't stand watching the news about all this food thing thats on..I hated seein about the tsunami....and I hate everything thats depressing!!!

Yes the tsunami was a bad thing!

Ok, I feel this way all the time, that I am helpless to all the people who are suffering in the world and feel guilty and depressed about, its a natural feeling.

Thats good that you feel this way and you are concerned about world problems, BUT....you are in no way responsible for what nature does and decisions are made by national governments, organisations and multi national corporations far out of the reach of the scope of your life. I know this sounds cruel and brutal, but Come on, you must accept you cant influence these things in any way, so please stop worrying yourself about it. You, the person me, is the most important thing in life, worry about looking after yourself!!

You can not be responsible for what George W Bush says and does unfortunately, and that frustrates me a hell of alot.

Remember there is nothing wrong with having concern about the plight of others in distant countries, but please dont obssess yourself about so much that you come depressed, and also think of the 1000s and 1000s of people already out in the world working for charities and helping to make a difference for these people.

There are things you can do like donate money to charities that work on projects in developing countries to help poor people and those in trouble or have little human rights or other disadvantaged groups of people all over the world (even people on your doorstep in the UK). If want you could even go to the lengths studying (Im currently studying about how improve poor peoples housing, services, and opportunities in developing countries), and hopefully I will go onto work overseas and work for one these charities i forementioned.

For now do a little research on the internet to get better understanding of the problems going on in the world and what is actualy happening, it will make you feel better to see that something is being done to help.

Well I have to go now before I am late for a talk (on land rights in Brazil) I have to be at in 20 mins, otherwise I could go on forever with this...!

Take care and keep going :blushing: , and take soulace from advice of other people, and think to yourself and work out where you want go from here, something positive i hope!!! :grin:

Stuart

Guest greybear
Hi greybear, please dont despair to much, I know its difficult, but there are other people here that feel your pain and understand what you are going through and want to help you.

Of course first of all follow the advice of those above and talk to your GP about it. But hopefully you will be able to reflect in some the experiences I went through, and the wat that I have dealt with it.

I went through exactly the same thing when it came to my exams at school. I am now at University doing a postgraduate course in MSc Urban Planning (whats that I hear you cry!).

You maybe wondering how myself as a OCD sufferer went from having exam problems to getting into University.

I want positively reassure you, however I must tell you this, that I did do very badly in my exams becuase the OCD and the thinking rituals and anxities I had to go through made it very hard for me to concentrate and revise. Feeling depressed did not help me feel like I wanted to revise.

However, this is something you can overcome, and learn from my mistakes.

Can I ask how much interference does OCD have in your school work and when you are doing exams?

Exams can cause great worry within themselves unfortunately, this is something you need to overcome by relaxing yourself before the exam and preparing yourself for the actual exam (revision, practice papers), and of course there is the usual advice for exam taking which you can get from alot of sources. I know the OCD does not help but is important to focus on:

relaxation and preparation

I know whats its like to so badly pass exams and do well and its feels that OCD is a barrier to that. In the end I had to get over the disappointment of failing exams, and it was frustrating knowing I did not have much of chance with OCD in the way.

Yes the tsunami was a bad thing!

Ok, I feel this way all the time, that I am helpless to all the people who are suffering in the world and feel guilty and depressed about, its a natural feeling.

Thats good that you feel this way and you are concerned about world problems, BUT....you are in no way responsible for what nature does and decisions are made by national governments, organisations and multi national corporations far out of the reach of the scope of your life. I know this sounds cruel and brutal, but Come on, you must accept you cant influence these things in any way, so please stop worrying yourself about it. You, the person me, is the most important thing in life, worry about looking after yourself!!

You can not be responsible for what George W Bush says and does unfortunately, and that frustrates me a hell of alot.

Remember there is nothing wrong with having concern about the plight of others in distant countries, but please dont obssess yourself about so much that you come depressed, and also think of the 1000s and 1000s of people already out in the world working for charities and helping to make a difference for these people.

There are things you can do like donate money to charities that work on projects in developing countries to help poor people and those in trouble or have little human rights or other disadvantaged groups of people all over the world (even people on your doorstep in the UK). If want you could even go to the lengths studying (Im currently studying about how improve poor peoples housing, services, and opportunities in developing countries), and hopefully I will go onto work overseas and work for one these charities i forementioned.

For now do a little research on the internet to get better understanding of the problems going on in the world and what is actualy happening, it will make you feel better to see that something is being done to help.

Well I have to go now before I am late for a talk (on land rights in Brazil) I have to be at in 20 mins, otherwise I could go on forever with this...!

Take care and keep going :) , and take soulace from advice of other people, and think to yourself and work out where you want go from here, something positive i hope!!! :grin:

Stuart

33065[/snapback]

Hey! thanx so much for the e-mail!

I wish I could think positively but it just doesnt seem rite! :welcome:

I wish I could think as positively as u! Mayb someday my hopes and dreams wil come true! x

Thankz again 4 the advice!

Greybear (sarah)

x

:blushing:

Hi Sarah,

Please can someone give me advice -???

I get really depressed and worried! To help my self I self-harm. I don't ever tell anyone but the thing is....I know there are more of you out there who do this 2! arent ther??

*holds hand up* yes, me :( . I have self-harmed on and off for 2 years but have been stopped for 2 weeks and 1 day so far! :) Not many people know about my self-harm though.

Anyway....My parents dont know that I still self harm and I feel like I have no1 2 toc 2 anymore...which is y I am seeking help now.

I'm not sure if my parents know I still self-harm - they know I did recently. It is great that you are seeking help though! :) :crybaby:

I have lots of 3rd year exams coming up and I dont know how I'm goin 2 cope. I'm goin 2 do rubbish which makes me even more depressed and I just get so upset! The only thing I can do is turn 2 self harm and it makes me feel realy bad.

I have exams too - the stress sometimes really gets to me, but please try to remember that they really are 'only' exams and can be re-sat. When I was younger I worked so hard, too hard in fact, and even though I got the 'perfect' results at GCSE that I thought I wanted, it didn't make me happy. Now I am more relaxed about work, although do sometimes get a bit stressed! :thumbup: When I self-harm it usually has the initial effect of making me feel better but after that it always makes me feel worse, which sounds to me like what you have found. I think it is quite important to try to break the self-harm cycle. When you feel like self-harming there are a lot of things that you could try instead - they may not all work for you but hopefully you will find one or more that are helpful to you :).

You could try:

1) getting a punchbag and beating seven bells out of it (I have just bought one and I find it is great sometimes!)

2) talking to someone, either about how you're feeling or just in general to take your mind off things

3) watching a funny film/DVD

4) having a nice hot bubble bath to relax you

5) reading a cheerful book

6) curling up with a magazine and a box of choccies :)

7) shredding rags or paper

8) crying (sometimes this is very hard to do, I find)

9) stroking a cat or other pet (if you have one)

10) there are some helplines you can call which are especially for mental health problems and self-harm. I am putting a list in the pinned topic which is at the top of the GAD forum so you might like to have a look on there, although it isn't finished yet

Please can someone give me advice or tell me any experinces (dont know hot 2 spell that word! lol) that you have had!?!

It might also be a good idea to go to see your GP who could refer you to a counsellor who could perhaps help you to overcome the self-harm.

As to any experiences...I'm not really sure what to say. All I can say is please try to be safe when self-harming. If you absolutely HAVE to self-harm then please do it in a safe way and look after the wounds. I am a cutter and am often being told to clean the wounds when I have cut because the last thing I or you need is for the wounds to get infected as well.

Take a look at this site about self harm which has informtion and support on it for anyone who self harms or knows someone that self harms.; http://www.nshn.co.uk/

This is supposed to be a very good site :) There is also a forum on there which is for people who self-harm or know someone who self-harms, so you're not alone.

One final thing I want to say is that the first step can often be the hardest. Self-harm sometimes goes round in a cycle and once you break that cycle then it usually gradually gets easier to keep it broken.

Good luck and take care :) Feel free to post anytime.

Jo