Medication

Guest stormy

Guest stormy

Hi all,

I was on citalopram 20mg previously but went on and off it everytime i feel better. Ive now been back to the docs and because im not going to be doing ivf again they have put me on Fluxotine (i think it is), they said its specially for ocd. Been on 20mg for three weeks but gonna go back as they dont seem to have helped much. I know the does for ocd is 60mg so hoping they will put it up. Ive also decided that if i need to take a tablet for the rest of my life then i will. Ive had cbt in the past and have been chasing another appointment for a year now, long story but im chasing.

Just wondered if this drug is really good for ocd or if there are better ones...

Would appreciate your comments

Thanks

Guest stormy

Hi Lawrie

Thanks for your reply. Its states on the literature in the box that its used for OCD so i thought i was specially for it but like you say what works for one doesnt another.

I suppose i do feel a little better but not really that noticable. I think i should stay on them though this time rather than come off once i feel better.

Appreciate your help

Stormy

Hi Stormy :original:

Fluoxetine (Prozac) is in the same class of medications as Citalopram (SSRI anti-depressants).

Fluoxetine isn't specifically for OCD but it is licensed for it's use. As you say, it's not uncommon for doses up to 60mg to be needed for some people.

I really wish I could tell you that one drug is more effective for OCD than any other. It would certainly make life easier for people with OCD if one drug was effective for treatment. However, it really is a case of finding the right medication for you. What suits me may not suit you.

You're doing the right thing by going back to talk it over with your GP. I would think the next stage would be for them to increase the dose. Have you noticed any change at all?

Lawrie

xx

Guest legend

Hi all,

I was on citalopram 20mg previously but went on and off it everytime i feel better. Ive now been back to the docs and because im not going to be doing ivf again they have put me on Fluxotine (i think it is), they said its specially for ocd. Been on 20mg for three weeks but gonna go back as they dont seem to have helped much. I know the does for ocd is 60mg so hoping they will put it up. Ive also decided that if i need to take a tablet for the rest of my life then i will. Ive had cbt in the past and have been chasing another appointment for a year now, long story but im chasing.

Just wondered if this drug is really good for ocd or if there are better ones...

Would appreciate your comments

Thanks

hi stormy, just to say i hope that the meds help when they are increased.

and, whats the problem re. cbt wise ? is there anything that ocduk could help with as in speeding things up for you.

legend

Guest stormy

Thanks Legend.

I have been chasing since last June to be honest, got a letter in November saying on waiting list however my previous therapist who left to go to austrailia said that if i had a relapse and things got bad again i would be seen quickly as ive been in the system for years and had cbt/group therapy in 2008. To be honest havent chased until recently as ive been ok.

I seem to be ok with OCD for the majority of the time and have learnt to deal with it but when i get the horrid thoughts which were like yours i feel so guilty and want to confess for people to tell me im not bad but i know this is reasurance and I dont have to tell anyone anything as ive done nothing wrong they are just thoughts...

Its only these thoughts that get me so i feel i cant get past it. Its just realising i dont need to feel guilty for having the thoughts.

Stormy

hi stormy, just to say i hope that the meds help when they are increased.

and, whats the problem re. cbt wise ? is there anything that ocduk could help with as in speeding things up for you.

legend

Guest legend

Sounds like your doing well stormy and have the knowledge about ocd which is a powerful tool.

Its very difficult when we get that guilt feeling attached to the dreaded thoughts, but i believe

its because we tend to think that we are generating the thoughts ourselves, as where in fact

those thoughts are part of a malfunction in our brains.

People without ocd of course have the same type of thoughts, but they are able to let go and

obviously have no guilt over them, because they are meaningless, total junk mail.

And your previous therapist is right, the advice within the nice guidlines say that if you have

had cbt previously, you shouldnt be placed back on a waiting list as this could allow the ocd

to become deeply ingrained again........... sadly this sometimes gets over-looked but dont be

afraid to waggle those nice guidlines under there noses..!! ;)

take care

legend