How does medication affect the brain

Guest Tulsas

I read an article a while back which listed Prozak and seroxat as 'mind altering drugs'...What I would like to know is...If you take seroxat for example and you feel it doesn't work 'WHAT DOES IT DO TO THE BRAIN'...You see,I feel so bad sometimes with the ocd ruminating stupid thoughts,I would try any tablet or drug because I feel no matter what I take it can't get any worse..So if I take medication and it doesn't work surely it must have some impact on my brain...My Dr will only prescribe me with seroxat because he says it is without doubt the best tab for ocd....Doesn't seem to work for me!!!!

Guest lilyelspeth

We with OCD have a major problem with serotonin, a chemical in the brain that can do a lot of great and horrid things to us. The medicine you recieve works to alter the levels in your brain to "even" things out.

Wow-did that really come from me? I guess I'm having an intelligent day for once!

Hi Tulsas

Here's a link that might help explain about medication

http://www.ocduk.org/treatments/medication.htm

Sadly it's not as simple as it can't get any worse, sometimes it can with a few people. You really need to work with the professionals and ask if you can be referred to a pyschiatrist or a pyschologist who will help judge the most effective course of treatment for you, either medication or CBT or often both. A pyschologist cannot prescribe but are very au fait with medication and will often liase with your own GP.

OCD does seem very bleak sometimes but you can improve :blushing: