The real fears behind obsessions

Hi all

I have posted before and mentioned my fear of getting arrested even though I am extremely honest. I know that behind most obsessions there is the thing that you are really afaid which is not always related to the obsession. Can anyone suggest what it may be in my case. I know i need to deal with this and knowing this would help a lot. I would appeciate any thoughts

Thanks

maybe something stressful/anxiety provoking during childhood to do with being 'caught'?

Hi Annabel

thank you for replying. I agree this was the thought I had as well. You are very insightful. When i try to get to the thing in my childhood and understand what it is I seem to be blocked and cant see what it is. Could i be so afraid of this I am blocking it myself

Blessings

Guest Annabel

Hm.. That's interesting- maybe! I mean I don't really know what happened in your life and feel a bit silly for commenting, but there might be some basis like this- have you ever had any counselling/psychotherapy?

I do think though that it's also important not to start feeling anxious about the 'root cause' of a particular worry because it is very common in OCD but I agree with you about dealing with underlying 'real' anxieties, in fact I've started incorporating this into some CBT exercises that I have to do where I'm supposed to write down the OCD thought and rate my anxiety level, I also include 'Real worry' and put 'Worried about being rejected' or whatever it is that I'm worried about besides the OCD, I've found it quite helpful.

I would say that the only way to really work these things out is to see a counsellor or clinical psychologist, hope you're okay!

:)