Am I brave enough?

Guest honey

Guest honey

Just a quick question. Does everyone think it would be a good idea for me to go for a job which I can do and which will be interesting and well paid BUT which my OCD has specifically told me not to do? I am scared that it will bring harm to my kids if I do it but if I don't I think I might go mad from lack of achievement at work. I already know the answer (!) but I need to hear what you all think. How dangerous is it to go against your OCD?

Guest Steviemfc

Hi Honey,

If you want to overcome your OCD you are going to have to start standing up to it at sometime, and this is your perfect opportunity.

Realistically you know that by starting a new job, there is no way that your kids are going to get harmed. These are therefore just useless, unwanted, unreal OCD thoughts and classic OCD at work.

To look at it positively, maybe by starting this new job you will be able to focus your attention on it, therefore reducing the OCD thoughts during the day. This could be the catalyst you need.

Let us all know your final desicion.

Good luck

Stevie

Hi there,

There's nothing much more i can add to Stevie's e-mail, other than if you dont take what seems to be an opportunity that you yourself really want, it is going to be reinforcing your ocd's nonesensical ideas and making it difficult for you to move forward the next time an opportunity arises.

OCD loves stress. Am i right in thinking that a big cause of stress in your life is the fact that you have a job which provides you with no challenge or stimulus? If this new job opportunity provides you with fresh impetus...how do you think your ocd is set to respond?

Go for it! I think you want to!

Let us know how you are getting on!

Adam

Guest Dragonfruit
Just a quick question.  Does everyone think it would be a good idea for me to go for a job which I can do and which will be interesting and well paid

33923[/snapback]

Definitely

BUT which my OCD has specifically told me not to do?

33923[/snapback]

Ignore it

I am scared that it will bring harm to my kids if I do it

33923[/snapback]

It won't - honestly

How dangerous is it to go against your OCD?

33923[/snapback]

Not dangerous at all. It may well feel dangerous and scary but it truly isn't.

Go for it - and let us know how you get on.

Good Luck :)

I agree that you should go for it! If you want to (and it sounds as if you do) and it is your OCD that has told you not to then I would suggest you go for it :thumbup:. I had an interview recently that I was terrified of going to, partly because I knew my OCD would make it hard when I was there for 2/3 days (I know this is a slightly different situation) but eventually at the very last minute it was great and even though I didn't get offered a place I was still glad that I went because I felt that I had achieved a little success over the OCD :D.

Good luck with whatever you decide :D

Guest honey
go for it honey don't let the ocd stop you that is what it wants.

34004[/snapback]

Thanks so much everyone. Your support has meant a lot to me.