Interested in being hypnotised to overcome OCD?

I am sceptical about such methods being used to overcome OCD, but I do think it might be useful to helping a person face CBT at the very least. That said not enough research as been carried out so I would love to see more research about the subject and if it can help someone with OCD great. :)

A satellite TV show featuring a respected hypnotist who will be using different methods of hypnotism and for lack of a better word, mind programming. This will help people to visualise themselves as a ‘normal’ person, and give them the opportunity to see through their condition. Throughout the series they will be looking at number of different subjects, from addiction to Impotence and Phobias to Obsessions.

I know little more than this but I have been asked to pass the details onto our members so if anyone is interested in taking part then get in touch.

They are looking for people that will be willing to give them access for a couple of months while you go through the whole process, it will be an interesting project for anyone that thinks they would like to take part.

Guest Hypnosinc

Hi Ashie,

I'm glad you've raised this topic, as until the last couple of weeks I have been reluctant to see hypnosis as offering much more than a relaxation technique, for de-stressing and "ego-boosting", and this is despite being a trained hypnotherapist for over 15 years!!

However this week with some OCD clients I have introduced the idea of using hypnosis as a form of behaviour modelling. By this I mean, whilst in the trance state, the client is encouraged to visualise those situations that create the anxiety and sense of panic, and to discover their own resources for overcoming those obstacles. Being relaxed they are able to experience some detachment from the full horror of what they would normally experience (Imagine being able to watch yourself going through it from the comfort of a cinema seat!). They are then trained to model this behaviour in real life. Of course it does have to be done on a graduated scale, working from the bottom up in their "heirarchy of fears".

It is early days yet, and whilst the response has been good so far, it is too early to say conclusively what the extent of the benefits will be in tackling OCD. However, I know from past experience it works well with those who have GAD or suffer panic attacks.

Hypnosis is just a tool, and I never force anyone down that route if they show any reluctance. Indeed if they are reluctant, it would be a pointless exercise anyeway. For some clients I wouldn't offer it as a treatment anyway. As long as no-one goes away with the notion that it is some magic wand, most suitable subjects should derive some benefit, and for some of them those benfits could be far-reaching.

Guest twoshoes

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know about my personal experience of hypnotherapy.

I restarted CBT and found that my panic attacks increased, i have a small son and it was very distressing for him to be around me whilst the attacks were happening so I had to take a step back from the CBT.

My therapist is very doubtful of the benefits of Hypnosis and OCD.

I sought hypnotherapy as a relaxation tool to help with the panic attacks. Since starting the hypnotherapy mid January I have had 5 panic attacks. I was having 1 a day on average.

I do not believe the hypnotherapy is "curing" me of my OCD but it is allowing me to face my OCD fears without the crippling anxiety and panic.

I will restart CBT in a few weeks time. I am confident that I will be in a better position to do what is required to make the CBT a sucess this time.

Before hypnotherapy;

Didn't touch food

Ate small irregular snacks ( I lost over 2 stone)

Showered upto 7 times a day

Rarely left the house

Had frequent panic attacks and spent almost all of the time feeling anxious

Now;

I can prepare lunch for my son

I can eat with my hands

I eat and drink

I shower 2-3 times a day

I go out, and use public transport

Panic and anxiety are no longer my normal feelings.

The hypnotherapy has NOT felt magical. It has removed the veil that prevented me from implementing what I have learned in CBT. I have still got a long way to go before I will have my OCD under control, I believe that a combination of CBT and hypnotherapy has worked for me in the way that CBT and Meds work for others. I was unwilling to try meds because I OCD/hate taking tablets, at my worst I barely ate or drank for fear of contaminating myself so a tablet with a drink was out of the question.

I am not recommending hypnotherapy because treatment is so personal, i just wanted to let you know how it has helped me.

Take care.

Twoshoes

Guest Steviemfc

Hi guys,

Although I have no experience of being hypnotised, my therapist did use a very similar technique with me to help me to start overcoming OCD.

Basically, he made me lie down on a reclining chair and he would try and get me to become as relaxed as possible. Whilst doing this he constantly spoke to me, putting positive thoughts into my head over and over again. He would tell me that he was going to count to 10 and that on every count I would become more and more relaxed and that the intrusive thoughts would become less and less meaningful and anxiety provoking. This treatment would last for about 45 minutes.

I had about eight sessions of this therapy over a 4 month period and I could definately feel the benefits of it afterwards.

I'm now in the process of reading Dr Shwartz book 'Brainlock' and everything that my therapist did with me is now starting to make sense.

Firstly, he would get me to realise the thoughts as OCD (meaningless and unwanted) then he would get me to think about a positive thought, as opposed to getting hung up on an OCD thought (not easy I know).

At the time I thought that the treatment would never work, but I was wrong.

I don't really believe it matters what type of therapy people recieve, as long as it helps their OCD in some way then it must be useful.

Stevie