Certain food cravings related to OCD?

Hi everyone!!

just thought i would throw this out there. Basically when i am feeling really low i find a piece of choclate picks me up or a piece of cheese.

This usually makes me more alert and i can re focus easier, could this be due to the lack of Serotonin in the brain?

Also wondering about fish, earlier i was craving Tuna chunks so bad that i ate a whole can without even realising, after this i felt so much better. So could this be that i was lacking Omega 3 which my brain needs?

i thought i would research the fish craving online and it did mention omega 3 , but i stopped researching as i was linked to a site about craving carbs and eating carbs will cause type 2 Diabities (biggest fear of mine)So sucks that a simple research can freak me out

so anyway, Does OCD make us crave certain food?

When I feel low/upset I immediately want to eat something sugary and unhealthy like biscuits, chocolate, trifle etc!

I've always had a sweet tooth and over the last few years I think I've turned into a bit of a sugar addict/comfort eater :D

I do think it's a very interesting point though Cam and I hope that someone can shed more light on it than I can!

Rosie x

Guest Stella

I don't know, but it sounds like your blood sugar is a bit low at those times and so a pick-me-up helps boost the levels - works for me. Cheese is better than sweet food though as sweet food causes your blood sugar to yoyo up and down, which then ultimately makes you feel more tired, hungry etc. Though we need omega 3 for brain boosting I think the more immediate effect is down to blood sugar and maybe psychological things going on (in my non-medical opinion). I used to be bulimic and spent hundreds of hours trying to figure these things out. If you eat a more balanced diet then it might help you not have such huge dips. It helped me, especially not depriving myself and eating enough fat. Maybe if you are very focused on carbs then it is them you might be in need of through denying yourself?

Stella :)

Hi Stella

thanks for your reply, i always panic when i see the words blood sugar as in my mind it relates to having Diabities, even though everyones levels go up and down not just diabetics (my logic head on there)

i think boredom could play a part also, as this tends to be more of an issue on my days off from work. I havnt been depriving myself from carbs but would like to cut them down as they do make me sluggish

Guest legend

you should try to eat little and often., that helps, and omega3 has shown to be beneficial with people who suffer

from attention disorders.

legend

Guest Stella

Hi Stella

thanks for your reply, i always panic when i see the words blood sugar as in my mind it relates to having Diabities, even though everyones levels go up and down not just diabetics (my logic head on there)

i think boredom could play a part also, as this tends to be more of an issue on my days off from work. I havnt been depriving myself from carbs but would like to cut them down as they do make me sluggish

Hi Cam - i did think that when i went offline - not the best choice of words, but i honestly used to get huge lows because I was underweight and not eating enough of the right food - I'd eat loads of vegetables etc and not bring my blood sugar up and be jittery, weak and unable to think clearly. Not trying to eat extremely healthily and not focusing on food so much (far easier said than done - only because Im mega concerned with other things now! :blushing: )has made a big difference to me. Good luck! :)

Edited by Stella

Thanks for your reply, just need to remember that everyone gets low blood sugar, that its not just for people who are diabetic.

thats just the OCD trying to fool me!!