*****POSSIBLE TRIGGER*****

Guest Dragonfruit

Guest Dragonfruit

...........Post is about MRSA

OK - that should be far enough down that anyone who doesn't want to read can have left the thread.

My Gran has just been diagnosed as having MRSA.

I was telling someone at work about this (as a friend of hers has also just been diagnosed) and she was saying that it can now be caught in communal areas like gyms and swimming pools. Has anyone else heard this? Is it true?

Also - I am supposed to be visiting my Gran later this month - I'm becoming very paranoid about catching MRSA from her - I know I won't - but the fear is there - anyone have any facts that might help me? - I'm too scared to look anything up in case it's all bad stuff which will freak me out even more.

Sorry - I'm in whine mood today. :lol:

Hi Dragonfruit,

Sorry to hear about your Gran...hope she'll soon be well :) .

It is a worrying topic and I believe there shouldn't be room for this in a first world country's hospitals.

I did hear something about health clubs and so on - but I thought the danger was from using towels etc provided by the place - don't quote me though - I only caught a bit of the story on the radio news.

Sorry DF I don't know any facts or figures about how it spreads so can't reassure you ref visiting your Gran; however I don't think the medical authorities would allow her any visitors if it were risky so I'm sure it will be fine to visit her and she will appreciate you going.

Let us know how your Gran gets on :)

Take care

whitebeam

PS Sorry DF, been pondering this while I've been doing the washing up.... If I'm honest I don't know if I would be able to go given the circumstances - sorry to say this, but my OCD has just gone into overdrive about this and what I've replied and I've given into it by editing the post :lol:

I think i would have to have a chat with my GP or a doctor first.

Sorry for being useless :)

Guest Kitty

Hiya DF

I just did a quick google of it for you. I don't think it would be a good idea for me to post any links in case it does trigger anything off in anyone.

From what I read - although it was a very brief scout round, I couldn't find anything to suggest you can pick it up anywhere else other than in Hospitals etc. Although don't take my word as gospel.

If your Gran is being treated properly for it and has had/got a course of medication for it then so long as she completes the course and she and others around her are rigorous about hygeine then I think everything should be ok :lol: .

Love K

xx

Hi dragonfruit

If your gran is being treated properly then she may well be being 'barrier nursed' in which case you could well be required to wash your hands and/or use antibacterial gel before and after your visit. There are (hopefully :) ) proper procedures in place for ensuring visitors do not become infected or become a carrier of the MRSA.

Even without OCD, strict hygiene practices are adhered to with MRSA in order to prevent cross infection. So I'm not reassuring you for OCD reasons, but rather because it is the practice with visitors generally (ie I'm not breaking any CB 'rules' :tongue: )

Hope this helps, Catherine :)