"oh im a bit ocd"

What REALY annoys me is when family will try and make me feel better by saying how they like everything colour matching in the home "see hun im a bit ocd too!" HOW ANNOYING a bit ocd? Why does ocd get trivialized makes me so annoyed.Like its as simple as wanting things matching or wanting a clean house?

Hi Nat,

I know what you mean about annoying, & especially after having tried several times to explain to them just how stressful it really is!

It is almost like I have tried explaining in another language.

Guest sariefariee

"it really annoys me when there's crumbs on the table...I think i've got OCD or something"

They need to know that it's not about wanting a clean house...it's a NEED. A severely depressing and uncontrollable need.

I understand your point SO much Nat!

xx

Oh I know exactly what you mean Nat, my auntie does it all the time. Mum says she means well and is trying to be sympathetic, but she tries to find an OCD trait for everybody and it's sooooooooo anoying :angry: :rolleyes::yawn:

Paula x

Edited by Paula15

loved those replies :0) ...Another thing .Yahoo answers is full of people saying there "a bit ocd" or "whats your ocd?" :wallbash:

Here is one answer "I have this friend who gropes me inappropriately sometimes and claims she has to do it again 4 times otherwise.. i dunno the world will explode or something... hmm.. she never really explains why" .....Then someone asks "Have i got ocd ?" A serious question and gets this reply grrrrr

Maybe your a

1) Spastic or perhaps a cripple?

2) What about a retard?

3)Or a handicap?

4)How about a spasticated, crippled, retarded, handicapped, diseased, mongofied sh1t-for-brains?

(I personally think it is number four.)

People realy dont get ocd :(

Hello

I've said this another thread but its not viewed as much as this one.

I think people on here need to except that public knowledge of ocd is not that good.

And so comments like this are going to happen.

Some people would not make comments like that if they understood' others would.

Now this charity attempts to raise awareness of ocd' which is good.

But at the moment public knowledge is not good and so comments like this are going to happen'

you just need to except it.

Although when your family says it and they know you have ocd that is different.

Chris

Hello

I've said this another thread but its not viewed as much as this one.

I think people on here need to except that public knowledge of ocd is not that good.

And so comments like this are going to happen.

Some people would not make comments like that if they understood' others would.

Now this charity attempts to raise awareness of ocd' which is good.

But at the moment public knowledge is not good and so comments like this are going to happen'

you just need to except it.

Although when your family says it and they know you have ocd that is different.

Chris

Your spot on Chris, when is the last time you saw a good portrayal of ocd in a soap etc ,infact holby city was proberly the last time i saw ocd touched on.Very rare and therefore peoples knowledge of ocd is poor.Like someone else said on here you would never get someone saying there "a bit Diabetes"

Guest legend

i belive holly oaks has had it on in the past as has drs. in fact there have been a few tv programmes in the past that

have had ocd in it.

That said, sadly some people do not fully understand how debilitating the illness really is, a bit like depression, unless

youve been there you wouldnt understand.

Educating and awareness is vital though, and if you do get the oppurtunity to raise it, then do.... more the better.

I mean there are people who make fun of pole with disabilities some people would still make jokes about it.

But possibly if there was more knowledge people would not comments like i'm so ocd.

It think if there was more public knowledge of anxiety on a whole that would be better.

You can't just focus on one anxiety disorder and there is not enough time to cover them all.

But if the public had more knowledge of anxiety disorders on a whole that would help.

Chris

Guest kez545

reading all the comments makes me wish that something could be done to explain ocd to everyone so that we don't get the same phrase said to us over and over "we all have a little ocd in us"

Dont get me started on this,lol

i get SO worked up by the amount of times i hear people making OCD sound so trivial, if they only "beeping" knew how crippling it actually is

i haven't heard about OCD from anyone in my real life, people here don't have a idea about it i guess. i wonder what happens to people who suffer and even dont know that they have ocd!

i always think if i could do something,may be a club or group.then i think i myself can't handle ocd then how can i help others. after reading many people's comments i realize ocd is treated as trivial everywhere, they dont get it

Edited by spring girl