My clothes issue...

Guest Baggins

Guest Baggins

Hi,

I saw a post about clothes, I was going to reply to it but decided to start a new thread as my issues are slightly different.

A major part of OCD has been clothes for me. I have had an issue with clothes for about ten years now. It's really difficult, especially as I really love clothes and want to look fashionable!!

I haven't had the problem with feeling 'uncomfortable' in them. It actaully started out as 'luck' issue - I found it very hard to buy things because I thought they would be unlucky. I ended up wearing a few 'safe' outfits again and again.

As the years have gone on, this has evolved into a contamination fear. I have an obsession that my clothes, shoes, handbag etc get contaminated with a certain substance. This has lead to continued washing and throwing away of said items. It is very distressing and, as you can imagine, costs a fortune!

It has also meant I have developed a bizarre situation whereby I have two sets of clothes. One set is my 'clean' set - hardly ever worn, essentially all my nice stuff that I don't want to ruin with repeated washing. My other set is my 'dirty' set - clothes that have been in possible contamination situations. I actually wear my 'dirty' set more than my other one! I go to work in the them and feel much more relaxed wearing the 'dirty' set. When I am wearing my 'clean' set I feel tense; constantly worrying they will be become contaminated.

Any advice on this would be very welcome. It does get me down.

Baggins

N.B - my 'dirty' clothes aren't really dirty! Hope this makes sense! :lol:

I have two sets of clothes.  One set is my 'clean' set - hardly ever worn, essentially all my nice stuff that I don't want to ruin with repeated washing.  My other set is my 'dirty' set - clothes that have been in possible contamination situations.  I actually wear my 'dirty' set more than my other one!  I go to work in the them and feel much more relaxed wearing the 'dirty' set.  When I am wearing my 'clean' set I feel tense; constantly worrying they will be become contaminated.

34822[/snapback]

This is a situation I had at one time, my work clothes and my non-work clothes and the two would have seperate wardrobes, seperate wash and never the twain shall meet.

The best advice I can give you is mix the two together, wear your favourite casual item of clothing to work and then resist the urge to wash it until you have worn that item out at a casual event.

Hi Baggins :)

It's the same old answer that none of us want to hear :lol:

Gradual exposure to doing the thing that your fear, starting with things that trouble you the least. It's the best way forward although it's not without discomfort.

Wish I could offer something more encouraging :)

Hi Baggins, I have the same clothes problem. One tip , which I try to stick to, is always to iron and put away clean clothes while wearing 'contaminated ' clothes. That way the 'clean' clothes are contaminated before they even get put in the wardrobe and then I am less likely to feel that they are too clean to get dirty . Then all my clothes are contaminated. I do this now because I used to have to shower and change before I could touch clean clothes and as you say I ended up with two sets. It is much easier if everything is contaminated. I am still waiting for when it stops' feeling ' bad though.

Meg

One tip , which I try to stick to, is always to iron and put away clean clothes while wearing 'contaminated ' clothes. That way the 'clean' clothes are contaminated before they even get put in the wardrobe and then I am less likely to feel that they are too clean to get dirty . Then all my clothes are contaminated.

34892[/snapback]

Hi Meg,

I think this is a brilliant tip.

I only handle or iron my clothes when I am feeling 'clean' - either just out of the shower or just dressed. I can only iron the clothes I'm going to wear that day after my shower.

I'm going to try and do your tip and either iron them the night before or before I get in the shower.

(Night before would be best - then I might get somwhere on time!!!!)

I am still waiting for when it stops' feeling ' bad though.

:)

I'm sure that gradually it will start feeling better :)

Take care

whitebeam