I hate it when people view you as a psycho

Guest obsessive compulsive

I see people comparing to things such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, dementia or worse. I don't get it. I don't have anything like that.

I hate it when people view other people who may have or have OCD as mental strange people who need to be locked up in a psychiatric ward, people who acted perfectly normal before they knew about the person having OCD.

As much as I hate it when people try and copy OCD 'traits' (like checking the door is locked and saying "I'm so OCD" etc) since it looks like they're taking the mick, I'd rather that than something so blown out of proportion with them thinking I'm a freak and need to be locked up.

Sorry a bit of a rant.

Am I wrong or do you agree?

I can see where you're coming from, but people with schizophrenia, bipolar, dementia aren't "psycho", nor are the vast majority of them on locked psychiatric wards. Yes, there are mentally ill people who are dangerous and need to be kept away from the general public, but the huge majority are perfectly safe to be around. Similarly, there are mentally healthy people who are dangerous and need to be kept away from the general public, but the huge majority are perfectly safe to be around.

I hate it when you see in the media about a horrific crime that's been committed and they say, "the suspect had a history of mental illness," as if that's an explanation for what they've done, but I think it's important to be careful with describing any mental illness - mentally ill people generally aren't "crazy" in the common sense of the word.

Guest Stella

I think it's hard to group anything into a 'condition'. People with OCD have loads of other traits and disorders. I have a friend with schizoaffective disorder who also has OCD. She's not weird- she's lovely, really sound. It depends whether you see the person or the 'illness'. It's awful when people treat you differently because of the 'illness'. I found my doctor doing it recently and it was very distressing - I don't think she was doing it on purpose. I got bullied out of a job by people saying I was weird and odd. Yes - that really does get on my nerves. Are you finding you're being treated really differently by someone now they know?

Stella

Edited by Stella

I can see where you're coming from, but people with schizophrenia, bipolar, dementia aren't "psycho", nor are the vast majority of them on locked psychiatric wards. Yes, there are mentally ill people who are dangerous and need to be kept away from the general public, but the huge majority are perfectly safe to be around. Similarly, there are mentally healthy people who are dangerous and need to be kept away from the general public, but the huge majority are perfectly safe to be around.

I hate it when you see in the media about a horrific crime that's been committed and they say, "the suspect had a history of mental illness," as if that's an explanation for what they've done, but I think it's important to be careful with describing any mental illness - mentally ill people generally aren't "crazy" in the common sense of the word.

Hey,

Sorry I probably worded it badly my point was that people view them as the same when they're not and it seems some people view people with such things as strange or treat them differently (being very judgemental) when there's no need. I also meant that they all have very different severities and shouldn't be grouped/viewed as one.

Edited by obsessive compulsive

I think it's hard to group anything into a 'condition'. People with OCD have loads of other traits and disorders. I have a friend with schizoaffective disorder who also has OCD. She's not weird- she's lovely, really sound. It depends whether you see the person or the 'illness'. It's awful when people treat you differently because of the 'illness'. I found my doctor doing it recently and it was very distressing - I don't think she was doing it on purpose. I got bullied out of a job by people saying I was weird and odd. Yes - that really does get on my nerves. Are you finding you're being treated really differently by someone now they know?

Stella

Hi,

I agree, people should view the person. Sorry about your job, that's awful. I can't believe some people would be so cruel and judgemental sometimes. Yes, I find my family treating me differently and if there's ever a disagreement they blame me having OCD or say I'm only feeling a certain way because of OCD.

Edited by obsessive compulsive
Guest Stella

Yes - I've fallen out with my father, and my mum and him say it was ocd, when it wasn't. Anything that goes against their way of thinking is ocd. Ok, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Trouble is that i can't tell when it is and when it's not. He was smoking in the garden when my son was out playing in it. Dylan was out there first - he went out and lit up. It must be 'ocd' because he's in the fresh air...polluting it.

My hubby says some things are when they aren't too and it is very frustrating - like giving my son omega 3, which is widely accepted practise and considered 'normal'. It can be used to label anything which someone else differs in their point of view in :thumbdown:

Stella :)