Pregnancy

Guest wobblebobble

Guest wobblebobble

No I'm not pregnant. But I am 36 now and would like a family. If it hadn't been for this hellish five years, I probably would have children by now. But I wondered, has anyone here had children while suffering from OCD and on medication? Too scared to ask Doctor, incase he says I would make an unfit mother and not to even think about it. I think it would break my heart. I am having CBT too, so am praying for some improvements, but in all honesty it is the 40mg citalopram which I am most worried about. Every time I have tried to come off them, I have plummeted back down, even though then I wasn't having therapy then.

Can anyone give me their experiences. I can't imagine life not being a mother. But then I read somewhere that pregnancy can make OCD symptoms worse....... :weep:

Thanks

Wobble

Guest Stella

I've got a child who's 4 and I am pregnant again - I'm on quetiapine and fluoxetine - doc said best to stay on. I was on venlafaxine but was changed because fluoxetine is the one recommended in pregnancy.

My psychiatrist and cpn are both supportive of me having another child, though my GP thinks it's a very bad idea.

With Dylan it did make my ocd worse, but it's worth it! I ended up in hospital - I wasn't on medication when I was preg with him though and eventually went onto sertraline whilst breastfeeding but I ended up in hospital. I am told I had psychotic depression too so I don't know what was more - the depression or the ocd - one probably influenced the other.

If it's something you really want in my opinion go for it and plan for it - I'm having to work very hard at the moment not to go off the rails, but I'm doing everything I can. Don't let anyone negative put you off. It's yours and your partner's decision (at least I think it is) - not the medical professions - I don't think they can say you can't - human rights etc. There's nothing to say your OCD won't improve with the distraction either I don't think, but I may be wrong again - depends what your fears are maybe? Mine are contamination.

Stella :)

Edited by Stella

Hi Wobblebobble. I'm 37 and have a 1-year-old daughter. I didn't take any meds during my pregnancy but I considered it and had I felt my OCD was too hard then I would certainly have talked to my doctor about the options.

It's great you are having CBT - it will really help you. I am having some now but I wish I had gone for help before I fell pregnant. My OCD did get bad a few times during my pregnancy but it didn't last long each time. I had intrusive thoughts a bit more. Since having my daughter, my contamination OCD has got worse but the intrusive thoughts haven't really bothered me much!

Your doctor wouldn't think you're unfit to be a mother. You are doing all you can to get better! There's no way of knowing how you would be during pregnancy but how much easier must it be for someone whose OCD does flare up in pregnancy than for someone who's never had it before and develops it? At least we can recognise it, and put into practice some techniques we have learnt.

Discuss it with your GP and therapist. I am sure you will be offered support through pregnancy if you do need it.

It really is worth it all to be a mummy!

Please post any time if you have any doubts or questions.

And Stella - congratulations!!! xxx

Guest wobblebobble

Thank you for all your replies. I really appreciate it. The motherhood question plays on my mind a lot. Like I said, if I hadn't been ill for the last five years my guess is I would have had children by now.

The difficult part is that my 'OCD' focuses mainly on my r'ship with my b/f, and whether or not I love him. Which makes the whole question of having a family even more difficult....but I hope maybe in a few months, with the help of this CBT, things might improve enough for me to consider having a child. And hopefully also, and equally as important, my b/f will feel comfortable and happy also with the decision......lets face it, who would want a child with someone who says they don't know if they love them. It must be so difficult for him to know what to do for the best. Bless him.

The reason I worry about what my Dr will think is because the last time I saw him I was in a state, he described me as 'in crisis'. And now I worry he thinks I'm mad.....

Thanks again.

Wobble

I replied on the other thread :)

Hey Wobble

I cant remember fully what i typed on the other thread but all i can say is that there are many mums on here and if you did get pregnant and were worried im sure we would all be there for you. i wish i had this forum when i was pregnant it would have been a great help.

Good luck to you x