newbie, may have OCD

Guest thoth

Guest thoth

Hi,

For the past few years I have had this annoying thing (can't think of a better word) that keeps on happening. I have a phrase which I keep on repeating to myself in my mind, and I seems to be worse when I listen to music as I repeat it to the beat of the music.

I have also acuired this strange habbit with eating that if I have a lot of a certain type of food (i.e. a plate of chips or a packet of skitle) I tend to eat them in threes (three chips at a time etc). I also sometimes have problems with making sure I have turned something off even though I just did turn it off and their is no way it could be turned on.

The first time I can recall all of this starting is when I first became ill with CFS (a nurologicle disorder) so I am assuming it has started due to CFS or the stress due to it (I stil have the CFS).

Does this sound like OCD, or is it something else?

I do see a physcopheripist who is trained in CBT(forgive my spelling). Do you think he is the right person to bring this up with?

Guest Smudger

Hi thoth, welcome to the board! :crybaby:

What you describe are classic ocd symptoms-do they cause you any distress?-I'd definately suggest getting your psychotherapists opinion on the matter.

Once again, welcome to the board-we're a friendly bunch, so any questions you have, ask away! :huh:

Guest thoth

Most of the symptoms I have described tend to just be annoying and they do not cause any distress. The main symptom that does effect me is the repetative phrase in my mind because that can get very annoying and distracting.

I am seeing the psychotherepist tomorrow so I will bring it up with him then.

I have got a couple of questions.

Will I just have the current symptoms, or can I develop new ones in the future?

Is OCD linked to Touretes Syndrome, the reason I ask is because a few months ago I saw this ITV drama where this man has OCD then devolped Touretes and I was wondering if people with OCD can develop Touretes?

If the pyschotherepist thinks I do have OCD will I have to see someone else to get diagnosed and what type of treatment is their?

Guest Beckett93

Hi thoth and welcome :crybaby:

Will I just have the current symptoms, or can I develop new ones in the future?

Through treatment, some people have a complete remission of symptoms, never to be troubled by OCD again. For the most part though, OCD is a chronic condition that waxes and wanes with obsessions and compulsions that can change over time. With therapy and/or medication, the level of distress caused by symptoms can be greatly reduced and in spite of still having OCD, a person can go on to live a full and happy life.

Is OCD linked to Touretes Syndrome, the reason I ask is because a few months ago I saw this ITV drama where this man has OCD then devolped Touretes and I was wondering if people with OCD can develop Touretes?

OCD and Tourette's can be associated. I don't know about someone with OCD developing Tourette's though.

If the pyschotherepist thinks I do have OCD will I have to see someone else to get diagnosed and what type of treatment is their?

The first part of the question will have to be answered by someone else, because I don't know if psychologists in the UK are allowed to diagnose or not. As far as treatment, there are both drug therapies and things like cognitive behavioral therapy. They can be done separately, but often are done together.

I hope I have helped and wish you all the best when you see your psychotherapist tomorrow :huh:

Guest Smudger
I don't know if psychologists in the UK are allowed to diagnose or not.

34983[/snapback]

As far as I'm aware they can (mine did anyway)-I believe the difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist is that a psychiatrist can prescribe medication, and a psychologist can't. There's probably more to it. :crybaby:

Guest ScottOCDid

Welcome to the forum, thoth. :huh:

I hope your psychotherapist can answer some of your questions and assist with your concerns. Better to nip these irritating habits in the bud before they have a chance to develop into more troublesome OCD symptoms.

Good luck!

Scott

:crybaby:

Hi Thoth and welcome to the boards :crybaby:

I think Ittyk and the others have covered all your queries.

If your pyschotherapist is trained in CBT, they will certainly be able to help with the OCD. A pyschologist generally deals with behavioural treatment, they do not prescribe medication but frequently recommend/suggest specific medications to a G.P. A pyschiatrist deals with the medication.

If your pyschotherapist isn't the person to deal with your OCD he will probably write to your G.P recommending that you be referred if necessary. In the first instance I would certainly discuss it with them.

Good Luck with your appointment :huh:

Guest thoth

Thank you for your replies and answering my questions.

From what I have read online I think I do have OCD, and hopefully the pyschotherapist will be able to confirm if I do or don't have it tomorrow.

Guest thoth

I saw him today and basicly I have a mild version, and we did some stuff to help with the repetative phrase.

He also said I could have a obseevie/perfectionist personality (he said it better then that) because I always liked to get college work right, and make high quality esays and not just one to pass. .

Guest thoth

I see him anyway for another thing I have, so I do have future apointments and he can help with the OCD. We did start tackaling the repetative thoughts/phrase since I find that the worst symptom.

He is trained in eye movement therapy, and we did some of that to try and help by basicly making me think of something else instead of the repetative thought (I did not explain that very well).

He also mentioned something about training the mind to think abour something else.

If I thought about random stuff/ words insted of the phrase/thought would I eventualy stop thinking of the phrase?