Going back to work

Guest Tommo

Guest Tommo

Hello,

I've set a rough date to go back to work after being off for almost 3 months, in which time i've been having CBT and anti-depressants.

Although I feel i've made real progress in the last month and I want to go back to work and some sort of normality, i'm really worried that "What if when I get back to work my thoughts start to take over again and I can't handle it?"

Everyday my mood is like a yo yo, one minute i'll be thinking I can definitely handle going back and the next i'm worrying i'm not.

I just cant work out whether i'm ready, and i'll think that maybe all the work i've been doing in CBT over the last few months may not have worked if I can't handle work. I know I should go back, I just hope I can take the positives i've had into work and control my anxiety there.

Has anyone else been in this situation, how did the transition from dealing with OCD at home to back at work go??

Thanks

Tom :crybaby:

Although I feel i've made real progress in the last month and I want to go back to work and some sort of normality, i'm really worried that "What if when I get back to work my thoughts start to take over again and I can't handle it?"

35082[/snapback]

Hi Tom,

I am so pleased that you are making progress and want to go back to work. I have to say that I think you should try and get back to work ASAP, even if you start part time fir few weeks at first. The longer you delay going back, the harder it will be.

What normally happens is the busier you keep (like at work) the less time your mind can replay OCD thoughts through your mind.

Hope it works well for you, do you have a job already?

Guest Steviemfc

Hi Tom,

I agree with Ashie. Try and get back to a work environment ASAP. Don't worry about being able to handle the pressure etc.. just give it a try and take it one day at a time.

I was off work for about 5 weeks due to my OCD, and my work allowed me to return for two days a week, then three, then four and so on and I found this to be very helpful.

Good luck

Stevie

Guest Tommo

Hi Ashie,

Yeah i've been with the company for almost 2 years, and to be fair to them they've been great, they're even putting a back to work programme for me.

I know i'll have to take the plunge and get back into it at some point, just worried about the 'what if' scenarios, but suppose i'll never know unless I try. I guess part of it is the worry that if it doesn't work out and I have to go off work again, then that would probably be it in terms of this job, which would be a shame because it's a decent job.

Meant to be going back in a few weeks so will let you know what happens

Cheers

Tom

35082[/snapback]

Hi Tom,

I am so pleased that you are making progress and want to go back to work. I have to say that I think you should try and get back to work ASAP, even if you start part time fir few weeks at first. The longer you delay going back, the harder it will be.

What normally happens is the busier you keep (like at work) the less time your mind can replay OCD thoughts through your mind.

Hope it works well for you, do you have a job already?

35085[/snapback]

Guest j julie

hi.

i have been in the same situation as you are, i felt so anxious the whole time then i started having horrible thoughts about the people i was looking after, so in the end i left my job, i was off for nearly 3 months, i also had a job in an old peoples home helping out when they were short staffed, i went on anti depressants and in the three months i felt like i was gonna become out of control and end up in hospital, then i found out what ocd and anxiety was all about from this website and started feeling abit better knowing i wasnt alone.

:grin:

i then rang the old peoples home and said i had been unwell but if i could do afew shifts a week i would be greatful, so i did and i felt better all the time i was working and it took my mine off everything (at last)

it definatly helps to go to work, maybe you could go back part time for the first month to get into the swing of things.

good luck :crybaby:

Hi Ashie,

Yeah i've been with the company for almost 2 years, and to be fair to them they've been great, they're even putting a back to work programme for me.

35087[/snapback]

That's so great to hear about a good company looking after you whilst you are off and then the back to work programme. Please do let us know how it goes when you do return and like Stevie mentioned, just try and take one day at a time.

Either look to start back 2 or 3 days a week or sometimes its a better idea to start back 5 days a week, but just do half days.

Locally there's an organisation called 'Opportunities'. It offers job placements in various areas and is linked to the mental health community only insofar as you need a referral to get there.

I have applied and am now waiting for an interview and then, hopefully, a placement. I'll let you all know how it works when I'm doing it.

My GP also told me that companies/firms do have a duty to take a quota of people with disabilities and that they will work with the Job Centre to ensure that certain steps can be taken to minimise any problems you may encounter and also to take into account your particular difficulties.

He said you need to speak to the DRO at your local Job Centre. (DRO = Disabled Resettlement Officer......or something similar).

Don't know if this will be helpful to anyone thinking about returning to work.....

whitebeam