Going abroad...

Hi :whistling:

i'm going abroad on friday for a long weekend, and i have a problem with the trapped feeling that planes bring. i posted a thread on the same thing last summer, and the flights then were fine, but now i've got 2 three hour flights in 4 days, and another shorter one on tuesday. obviously i'm excited about going away, but i can't help but worry.... :thumbup:

one of the things that bothers me most is that since i started getting panicky about flying i have been unable to be on the same plane as my mum because she would get worried if i panicked again, and i can't handle her asking if i'm ok every few minutes! but also, i'm worried that if i have a panic attack, she will have one too....she has never had a panic attack in her life so there is no reason to believe this will happen, but i worry that i may have somehow spread my anxiety to her (?!).

i guess i could just do with some reasurance at the moment, because i'm really scared :help: i've been feeling really depressed recently and i don't think i would be able to cope with anything bad happening at the weekend.

thanks for listening,

Han xxx

Hi Han,

Where are you going? I'm sure you'll have a lovely time when you get there.

I'm the same with any trip or visit (even just going in the car) I get really nervous beforehand - I sometimes get quite tearful and decide I don't want to go.....and then when I go, I have a really good time.

In my experience, it's the anticipation which is always worse than the actuality.

I'm sure you will be fine and that you and your Mum will enjoy the holiday.

(I think it goes with a mum's job description to check if you're OK - my Mum still worries about me and I'm heading towards the nifty fifties!!!)

Try not to worry (easier said than done) and hope you have a lovely time.

Take care

whitebeam

Hi Han,

Sorry I missed this thread. Like whitebeam has said it is often the anticipation that is worse than the actual event :blushing:. Hopefully you will see this when you get home and you will have had a brilliant time :D.

Take care :thumbup:

Guest Jimbo

Hi Han,

As a frequent flyer and as someone who hates it I can sympathise. I don't actually worry anymore until I'm actually on the flight partly because I do it so often it has become quite normal.

Here's my little secret..... Don't laugh....

Someone is looking after me and makes sure I come to no harm. Simple.

Maybe it's god.. in whichever form you like.. Maybe I'm completly mad... Well the thought had crossed my mind... Or maybe it's the engineers, safety inspectors and billions of pounds worth of computers backed up by god knows how many statistics..

I don't know what the answer is for you but flying is safe, you are more likely to get hurt or killed on the way to the airport than you are flying.

I used to always say to people look at the cabin crew and if they are worried than fine start worrying yourself.. I don't do that anymore after one particularlry hairy flight when the cabin crew stayed seated for the entire flight.

The way I see it now is planes don't crash that often. More people are hurt in train crashes. I fly recognised carriers not 3rd world airlines and enjoy a few drinks when I can before and during the flight.

Here's my best tip. Watch the wing. If the wing moves up and down and you can hear mechanical nosie then everything is alright.

Hope this helps :)

Jimbo.

• 1 month later...
Guest Nicky

HI,

I'M petrified of flying to the Bristol conference and my sister's on Thursday. I HATE FLYING!!!!!!! I will do everything to avoid it and thought I was being very brave flying over :mad:

If my husband is with me then I ask him , "What is that noise? Why is the machine dong that? What if this happens? What if that happnes?" At first my husband tries to help, bu then he just gets annoyed and telly me to calm down. This time he isn't flying with me. I am taking my young daughter to England with me and so I have to behave myself on the plane :) :help:

Oh well as Jimbo says:

Here's my best tip. Watch the wing. If the wing moves up and down and you can hear mechanical nosie then everything is alright.

I'll take this tipp - Thanks

Hope to see as many of you as possible on Saturday. I hope I get there safely :(

Love,

Jeannie

Hope to see as many of you as possible on Saturday. I hope I get there safely :thumbup:

41143[/snapback]

Hi jeannie.

Looking forward to meeting you too; well done for confronting your fears and flying over. I'm sure the conference will be worth it.

Take care

whitebeam

Guest patsy

Hi Jeannie,

I hope you manage to stay calm during your flight. Good luck with it :thumbup: I am flying to Bristol too from Scotland although flying is one thing of the very few things I don't seem to mind doing.

It will be nice to meet you at the conference :thumbup:

Patsy x