therapy

Guest robert1

Guest robert1

i just had my third visit with my therapist and just want to run what he is doing with me past ye to see if it is right,the reasoning behind this is that my ocd is telling me that he is not up to scratch and that it will not work,i know it is wrong but i cannot stop myself doubting,my form of ocd is pure o thoughts of hurting my daughter now i have been totally honest with him and have told him everything ,in the first three sessions i have had he is just doing an awful lot of relaxation techniques ,he has me doing these at home everyday ,you sit down and take long and deep breaths and relax your whole body and imagine you are floating and just think of nothing ,you do this for about 10 /15 minutes ,not the idea behind this is trying to get me used to taking me out of my thoughts,now yesterday he introduced this thing that when it happens during the day that i take a deep breath and put my two fingers together ,have ye ever heard of these ways of doing it ,i have asked him about cbt and he said it will follow this ,is this the way you start ,thanks.

Guest j julie

hi robert,

putting your two fingers together is called an anchor point, your therapist will get you to relax and thing of maybe something like a lovely relaxing place while you are deeply thinking about it he will ask you to put your fingers together, so when you are having horrible thoughts or feeling low you are meant to put your fingers together and it is suposed to remind you of that lovely place you were thinking off and to calm you down and change your feelings, keep practising it alot though.

all the best :grin:

Guest Worn out

Hi Robert,

If you fancy learning more about the anchor points and other things that can be usefull, its worth looking into NLP (neuro-linguistic programming) as from the sounds of it, thats what the therapist is using. It can be quite interesting and there are other techniques that might help ocd too. There are quite a few good books on it at the bookshops so its not too costly to read about. I recommend it :) It certainly has helped me to some degree.

Guest robert1

thanks for the replys ,ashie you have me worried ,the therapist said that he wants to have me relaxed as he said that people with ocd have racing minds and that he wants to slow it down,julie and wornout do you think that the therapist is going down the right route with this anchor point .

Guest Worn out
julie and wornout do you think that the therapist is going down the right route with this anchor point .

35491[/snapback]

Personally i think its a helpfull thing to know, but in and of itself wont "cure" the ocd. Its just a coping strategy i guess. Another good one is a similar technique, you anchor a fearfull thought to say ur left thumb touching youre left index finger. You do this a few times until its anchored, then do the same with youre right hand but you use a relaxing/happy or whatever positive emotion. When you can bring the feelings on with each gesture, you can make both at the same time, then youre emotions collide and fluctuate, and after awhile, they settle and you find that thinking the bad thing doesnt feel so bad anymore. I dont know if ive explained myself properly but ive tried it before and it does work. As i said there are a lot of NLP tools you could use as a backup for your own coping methods :)

My therapist was a NLP Practitioner and used some anchoring techniques on me, but I didn't seem to manage to make the connection when I needed to; I also found relaxing really difficult and as soon as I had an anxious thought all the techniques flew out the window :thumbup: . I don't think I practised enough - I think the idea was for the action to become automatic.

I don't want to sound too negative though; it's like all treatments - will be successful for some and less so for others.

Hope that you find it helpful, Robert. Let us know how you're getting on.

Take care

whitebeam

Guest alpha

Hi Robert,

I hope you are keeping well! :blushing: I would ask your therapist what his/her background is, what experience they have of treating OCD, what therapy they use, etc. Are you seeing someone on the NHS? I guess relaxation techniques can be helpful, but, personally for me, the most helpful, relaxing thing was actually working on the OCD directly. Relaxation techniques wouldn't really have helped me all that much with pure o and hyper-responsibility OCD, but of course, this is an individual opinion.

I found it more useful to learn how OCD works, what happens during a situation when a thought appears, how to re-evaluate the thoughts more objectively or accept them as a remote possibility, how to re-focus, etc. Maybe the NLP helps to re-focus?

Take care,

Alpha

Maybe the NLP helps to  re-focus?

35575[/snapback]

My psychologist used to talk about 'reframing' situations - I think it was to see the problem from a different angle or in a different way. To change the way I looked at germs and their strength. I'm not very good at explaining - but it seemed to make sense at the time.

We also did a lot of exposure work and I have to be honest, that was what had a stronger effect on me.

whitebeam