'Glee' Mays: 'OCD is just part of Emma'

Source Digital Spy

Glee star Jayma Mays has revealed that she would never want her character Emma to offend anyone.

Emma has obsessive compulsive disorder, but Mays told New York Magazine that she doesn't want to upset people with her portrayal of the condition.

"I would hate to feel that someone who has OCD would feel I was making fun of them," she said. "That would absolutely destroy me. But I think we all have some sort of issue they're dealing with, and I think it's okay to make fun of that sometimes."

Mays suggested that Emma's OCD is just part of her personality.

"In last week's show, there's the scene where she's neatly organising the pamphlets on her desk, and I feel that's just what she would do," she said. "I understand that it adds comically to the scene sometimes, but I think it's a wonderful part of her. I hope she can relax a bit, but it's part of Emma Pillsbury being Emma Pillsbury."

Mays also joked that Emma's behaviour has made her more untidy, saying: "I think it's made me be more messy at home. If I catch myself straightening things, I'm like, 'Ahh, I'm being Emma!' And I'll stop. And when I put cardigans on now my husband tells me, 'You look too much like Emma'. So no more cardigans for Jayma Mays."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest randyrambles

I guess as an actor you pick up traits from your character. Sad example, but the late Heath Ledger, he played the Joker so well that it effected

his real life during/after filming the movie. So wouldn't certain traits make up your whole being and part of your personality?

• 2 months later...
Guest hannahmaniac

What do people think to the most recent episodes of Glee? Where Emma's condition is taken much more seriously and is labelled as a mental illness. She visits counsellors and is given SRSIs as meds. Just wondering!

Han x

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Louisasmudge

I don't know how I feel about it. I think it's compounded this stereotype that we are all obsessively tidy and germophobes, which obviously true in some cases, but it's only giving part of the story. I think they were quite sensitive about it though- they are taking it seriously rather than making it overly comical.