St Johns Wort..... PASSION FLOWER!!

Guest legend

Guest legend

Just found this article in todays mail. Scientists have said that st johns wort isnt affective on anxiety, but passion

flower is proven to work on anxiety.

heres the article. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1318410/Bad-news-St-Johns-wort-wont-cure-anxiety-Good-news-passion-flower-will.html

Of course never take herbal remedys without discussing it with your health care providers.

Legend

Guest legend

yep it was/is for mild depression, but i often see on the forums people who have tried st.johns wort thinking

it might help with the ocd/anxiety, although i have seen people post positives about it to !

Ive never personally tried any herbal remedys but im thinking of trying a sleep aid for my restless legs i suffer

with at night. it wont stop the movements but it will allow me to sleep through them ( hopefully)

Pity about the kava. it was a very good anxiolytic.

legend

Guest Wombat142

I don't think there was anything found wrong with Kava Kava as such - it was a contamination issue. Apparently there was a shortage of Kava Kava at some point, and some manufacturers tried to make up the shortfall by using parts of the plant that are traditionally thrown away. Turned out there was a good reason for not using them. Rather similar to what happened to Tryptophan.

I'm not sure that the St. John's Wort study necessarily applies to OCD. As far as I could tell from the article, the study considered only "anxiety" in general, not OCD. St. John's Wort affects serotonin, which of course is linked to OCD, but as far as I know, not to most other "anxiety disorders". That said, I've taken St. John's Wort and it didn't do much good. Here's a rather more technical article on the same study: http://www.physorg.com/news205646804.html

Guest legend

i think the main key is wombat is that st johns isnt a anxietive med, as where passion flower is.... and if you

suffer from ocd ... which is an anxiety disorder, then it would dampen down the anxiety, thus enabling the sufferer less

anxiety and to feel more comfortable , and also they could challenge the compulsions at the same time.

anxiety with ocd isnt the real problem as such, its the behaviours we carry out to reduce the anxiety that cause the loop

to continue.

Guest Wombat142

I know, but I heard that the poisonings were due to contamination rather than the active ingredient itself. There's a bit about that in the Wikipedia article on kava kava. Apparently the stems and leaves contain liver poisons, while none have so far been identified in the roots, which are the part that's supposed to be used. There seems to be a fair amount of circumstantial evidence pointing that way, though it's not been absolutely proved that the roots are safe.

• 3 months later...
Guest summerleft

Ive taken st johns wort for many years on and off for OCD, its brilliant, im not sure it is much good on anxiety but it does lessen the amount of thoughts i get to the point where i know if ive stopped taking it.

If you are looking for the key to reducing anxiety related to OCD I would suggest you consider mineral imbalances as a cause. Zinc deficiency is very common. Minerals can act powerfully on thought processes, some stimulate while other sedate. Copper toxicity can cause real problems and is a stimulating mineral and zinc is its opposite. The ying yang balancing act is so true in health. If these minerals become severely distorted they will cause very pronounced mental problems. Worryingly 99.9% of doctors would be completely unable to diagnose or treat these problems.

yep it was/is for mild depression, but i often see on the forums people who have tried st.johns wort thinking

it might help with the ocd/anxiety, although i have seen people post positives about it to !

Ive never personally tried any herbal remedys but im thinking of trying a sleep aid for my restless legs i suffer

with at night. it wont stop the movements but it will allow me to sleep through them ( hopefully)

Pity about the kava. it was a very good anxiolytic.

legend

Well i took valerian ( which is in kalms and or tesco sleep aid) ....... and no more insomnia and im sleeping very

well. As for the restless legs? well im probably just sleeping through it all !!

I feel a totally different person !! amazing. :thumb up:

*declined a parkinson tablet. nasty side effects ! and if needed i can try gabapentin. i think ill stick

to herbal for now ;)

legend