if you could know

Guest Dreamer

Guest Dreamer

hi everyone, its dreamer. sorry i dissapeared for a while. tried to a have break from anything ocd realated. unfortunatley didnt work and still really bad.

just one question for everyone, mainly pure o people, if you had the chance to know why you have ocd would you want to know. do you think it would make you feel better or is it not important to you?

thanks x.

Guest Smudger

Hi Dreamer. :thumbup:

Sorry things are bad for you at the mo, let us know if we can help. :thumbup:

If knowing why I have ocd would be beneficial in helping others then yes, but otherwise I don't really feel a need to know why I have it.

Guest Dragonfruit

Hi Dreamer

Sorry to hear you're struggling at the mo - give us a shout if there's anything we can help with.

On an individual basis I guess I don't feel particularly strongly one way or the other about finding out how/why I have OCD. I'm not really sure it's something that I'll ever know and I don't really see it as being important. I used to - I used to ask "why me?" constantly. But it didn't help me at all. So now I try to tune out that side and just accept that I DO have OCD and that I need to find the best way(s) to deal with it.

Like Smudger said though, if there WAS a "cause" of OCD in us all then it would be great to know what it was so that OCD could, in time, become a preventable disorder. However - I doubt this is the case.

I'm not saying that people SHOULDN'T be interested in knowing WHY if they could - it's just not something that's important to me anymore.

Hope you're doing better real soon :thumbup:

Am I alone in thinking I would like to know why I'm going through what I am.

35698[/snapback]

No, I would also like to know. I feel it's genetic and that I was predisposed to have it but would be interested to know

- if this is the case

- why it takes the form it does

- what triggered it to become severe

I know it doesn't matter why/where I got it as far as treatment is concerned, but I would be interested..........

Sorry, Dreamer that you're having a bad time. Hope things soon improve - remember we're here if you need someone to listen/support etc.

Take care

whitebeam

Guest Brainstrain

Hi Dreamer and others,

Beth you aren't alone, since I found out what has actually been wrong with me all these years I have been a little obsessed with trying to find the reason I have OCD, constantly analysing things, other family members, things that may or may not have happened to me when I was little etc. I think partly this is to do with the OCD itself but I think a part of me would genuinely like to know.

Brainstrain :whistling:

Hi Dreamer :whistling:

Nice to see you, sorry you're struggling.

To me it no longer matters 'why' I have OCD, I just did, like someone has diabetes or epilepsy. What does matter is the method to control it and the strength to face the fear and do it (or should I say, NOT do it, what OCD tries to make you do) That's what's really important :blushing:

No, I would also like to know. I feel it's genetic and that I was predisposed to have it but would be interested to know

- if this is the case

- why it takes the form it does

- what triggered it to become severe

ooh, me too.

i do think there's a genetic predispostion for this kind of disorder - in my immediate family we have eating disorders, ocd and ADHD/Asperger's/autistic spectrum disorders, but i do wonder if there's a 'trigger' sometimes, and have spent hours ruminating about it, but i guess it ultimately doesn't really matter..whether you understand it or not, it's not possible to change what has happened to you, but you can change how you react to it...

So saying, I actually did a 'freud test' on the tickle.com website (and it must be true cos it's on the internet :dry: ) which said i was most likely to have been affected by events when i was between 18 months and 3 years.

It also said i might have a tendency to have things in a very certain order :whistling:

Mind you, in other tests on the same website, I came out as an unusually personable millionaire :blushing:

unless there's a bank account i don't know about, they're wrong on at least one count :lol2:

Guest Muse_Man

Hi Caveman,

Thanks for mentioning the 'freud test', I had a go and this is what it came up with for me:

"Stuart, Freud would say your personality is most affected by events that happened when you were between a year and a half and three years old.

Relative to others, your personality today is moderately affected by the events of your childhood. This manifests itself in surprising ways. For example, you have a tendency to be especially orderly or clean. Compared to others, you may also harbor a strong rebellious streak"

This bit is certainly is true as I am a perfectionist - "For example, you have a tendency to be especially orderly or clean"

Im sure my rebellious streak is not that bad, I think its more I like to do things my own way and sometimes dont listen to sense, not taking the sensible option.

I ve just finished a few sessions with a psychodynamist and we dealving into my childhood experiences, and for a start my parents divorcing at the age of 5 did not help me.